Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

getting dog to sleep all night

Beetlecat
April 4th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Any idea how it would be best to get my 9 month old ACD pup to sleep during the night rather than shuffle and twist and turn and so on, keeping me awake.

I raised him from a baby until 6 months old, where he went to my parents' farm to learn how to be a farm/country dog and to socialize with their own ACD while I went back to school. He came home yesterday evening and, while we pretty well just fell into out old rhythmes again, I'm not sure how to adjust him back to sleeping inside at night.

When he was a baby, I just put him in the kennel and took him out in the morning. But now I don't have a kennel anymore and, after 3 months of sleeping near another dog, I think he's finding it hard to adjust to sleeping alone on the floor again. Especially when the cat gets to sleep with me. I'm sure he'd love to sleep on me all night, but I don't allow that. Even the cat has rules regarding where he can sleep on the bed.

Last night, I simply tied Ky to my bed. But he didn't seem to do much sleeping, just endless moving around.

Should I just keep at it the same and wear earplugs so he atleast doesn't keep me awake too, and he'll eventually fall into my rhythems.

My other option is to not leash him at night and let him find his own place to sleep. But then I don't want him getting into trouble at night either. Since he *has* been gone for 3 formative months, I'm basically treating him like a rescue dog, until I know where his abilities lie.

BMDLuver
April 4th, 2005, 10:09 AM
You've just upheaved his life once again. Of course he is restless and unsure. I would not tie him to your bed. Let him find a spot to relax in. Also, it may take him a few weeks to relax in your place. It's another huge adjustment for him and he's probably wondering what the heck is going on now. You've placed him in this spot by bouncing him back and forth so it would be a good idea to be patient and give him an adjustment period. You may be sleep deprived for the next few weeks but remember, he's your dog and your responsibility. You owe it to him to be patient and understanding. Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean to be. It's just don't expect too much from him in 24 hours. :)

maddoxies
April 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I agree that he needs to find "his" place, maybe close your door, or put up a puppy gate so that he cannot get into trouble during the night. Maybe a towel or something that smells like his doggie buddy will help him to settle down for the nights.

For what it is worth, Valentin, who LOVES to sleep under the covers with me, moved to his crate during the night last night because "mum" was disturbing HIM !!

Beetlecat
April 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I agree he's a little unsure right now. Actually, the only way I can really tell is because he's been on his best behavior so far :P Actually, I'm impressed with how much he remembers about living in the city.

He does have his dog bed here (it goes everywhere he's going to spend a night) but I don't think he's interested in sleeping on it, he'd rather just sleep on the carpet. And I don't think he's terribly attached to my parent's dog. He's very people oriented.

The unfortunate part is that my whole house is open with no doors to shut, otherwise I'd do that. My logic in leashing him to one area was so that he'd (1) get the idea I want him to settle down and not roam during the night and (2) he wouldn't go charging after the cat during the night and (3) I'm not sure if he's housetrained yet. Physically probably, but mentally I can't say.

I'm not sure what I'll do this night, I'll play it by ear. I already know I'll be waking up an hour earlier. He has always been an early riser, and it probably wouldn't hurt me any. And walking in the early morning is kinda fun :)

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but whats an ACD :o .

Beetlecat
April 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Sorry. Australian Cattle Dog. AKA Blue Heeler (though my parents's ACD is actually Red) :)

Dahlia
April 4th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Maybe you could try putting him in a crate by your bed. I know you said you don't have a crate anymore but do you know anyone who has one that you could borrow? It might make him feel more secure. But like the others said, I think he just needs time to readjust.