Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unexplained vomiting solved!

Cactus Flower
April 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Well this was interesting.
A friend of mine who has a Dane has been complaining for some time that he isn't drinking very much water, and when he does, he throws it back up. Her vet said he was in good health and was equally perplexed when she added that he didn't throw up after catching him drinking out of the toilet.

For a few weeks, I've been brainstorming about this. Then yesterday I was watching Raj drink, and it hit me.

I called her and asked her to touch her Dane's water and rub her fingers together to feel the consistency. Bingo! The water was two parts....drool.

Let me explain.
Danes with prominent "jowls", when they are drinking, long lines of DROOL will run into their water during their drink and after (as they stand there over the water bowl for a minute). I change Raj's water after she drinks out of it TWICE, since after just the second time it starts to become slimy-drooly. If I did not change her water throughout the day it would DEFINITELY become solid slime- and I imagine she'd shun in, then if she got thirsty enough she'd drink it- and then, understandably- she'd throw up!

This friend of mine was so grossed out- said it looked just like water (it does, believe me) and she didn't realize how slimy it was. She felt terrible, said she only changed the water about every other day or so and was "waiting for the level to drop". She also told me she was advised that letting the water sit for a day was GOOD because it "evaporates the chlorine in it".
Well, it wasn't so good for this poochy, was it?

Anyway he's drinking just fine now, and no vomiting. Just goes to show you the importance of having FRESH water for your pets at all times!

kayla
April 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Good job for figuring thta one out, I would have never thought of it! :thumbs up
She could try getting a smaller water dish to remind her to fill it up (I have a small dish which gets emptied about three times a day so I'm forced to remember to fill it up). Also chlorine only takes about 20 minutes at room temperature to evaporate, and if she uses a filter on her water it will get rid of it completely if she's worried!

raingirl
April 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Odin has that problem too! I change his water ALL the time (about 10 times a day) and it's still slimey.

At least he can't reach in the toilet!

If your friend is woried about the chlorine, she should put the water in a water jug in the fridge, and fill his water from that, and she can top up the water jug. That way the chlorine dissipates, and he has cold water all the time!

Lucky Rescue
April 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Great point, CF. I never would have thought of that! The water bowls of "drool monsters" must be pretty yucky! :yuck:

My dog is not a drooler, but even so I'm sure her water does get a little "spitty" after a day, plus my cats drink from her bowl and I'm sure dog slime is not at the top of their Fave List.

I'll change the water more often now. Thanks!

Cactus Flower
April 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Water jug in the fridge is a great suggestion, especially here in the desert where cold water is much appreciated!

Do cats drool, Lucky? What would she think of cat drool in the water? LOL.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Prin
April 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
It's a good idea to change the water before you wouldn't drink that even if you had no other water available... We have to change the water every day because so much fur gets into it, it actually makes a layer above the water...

glasslass
April 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
We have chlorinated water also and use a Brita filter. Good sleuthing! :thumbs up