Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas??

Ellen62
April 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
I have two golden retrievers, I have the mom and her son. My problem is mom hasn't stopped being the mom and still thinks she needs to eat her boy's feces. I've tried some powder from the vet but it didn't seem to stop her. I don't want to stop putting them out together as they love to play with each other but I'm not sure of what else I can try. Anyone have any ideas? :eek:

vivilee
April 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
The same way you train a dog not to chew on something. You can use tabasco sauce or wasabe on the feces. A can of pennies that you shake when you see her approaching the feces or some other loud noise.

The best way is to pick up the feces and get rid of it yourself. The reason why the mother eats the poop is out of instinct. In the wild the mother eats the pup's feces to deter predators and protect her pups.

Ellen62
April 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. We had tried Forbid and it seemed to work for a bit but I'm thinking she is forcing herself to eat it because she still thinks she has to clean up after him. Like you said it's out of instinct. Cleaning it up right away would certainly work so I'll just have to watch him and get on his BM schedule so I can get there first. Thanks again :)