Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog was rolling around in baking soda

Gripenfelter
April 1st, 2005, 09:33 PM
I left my dog in the house for 15 mins while I cleaned the sidewalk. When I came back in I found him rolling around in Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer. He got a bit on his back. I wiped most of it off with a towel. You can't see any powder on his fur and I don't think he ate any. He smells like potpourri though lol.

Its mainly baking soda. Should I bathe him or not worry about it? I'm kind of hesitant about bathing him because I bathe him once a month and he just had his bath last night.

BMDLuver
April 1st, 2005, 09:51 PM
Bet he was a powdery mess. It shouldn't hurt him. Try vaccuming him. It sounds weird but it will get the residue up. Or give him a good brushing.

jiorji
April 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM
I think you should also check the potpourri. Sounds to me like it ate that instead lol

SnowDancer
April 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Pup should be okay. I use regular Baking Soda as a cleaner for many things as I am allergic to everything - including potpourri. The only carpet left in this house is on stairs and that will probably go over next few months - but I do sprinkle regular baking soda on the stairs and on the furniture - as well as leaving saucers (out of reach) to absorb odours. Actually it makes a darned good paste for grease removal - and I can breathe and so can my Eskimo. Since I am not using the scented baking soda cleaners, puppy isn't attracted to it. Never though do I use Borax - just regular old fashioned baking soda.

Prin
April 2nd, 2005, 02:43 PM
If you think it is safe for your dog when it's on your carpets where the dog lies, why wouldn't you think it was safe on your dog? Even if you vacuum the carpet to death, there will always be some left- which is why the smell of it lingers after you vacuum... So if you don't have a problem with the doggy lying on it, he should be ok wearing it, no?

Dahlia
April 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
Haha! Maybe he thought he stunk. I wouldn't worry about it. Just brush out what you can or you could vaccuum him if it doesn't scare him. Sophie will get dirt out of the flower pots on our back porch, bring it in the house and spit it out on the floor, then roll in it. Not sure why, but she does.