Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what kind of breed looks like this?

kayla
April 1st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Is there a breed out there that has the look of a Pit Bull or Staffordshire Bull terrier but is taller? I've attached a picture of the type of face I mean. Anyone have any ideas? My sister is looking to get a dog and we're trying to figure out the breed she has in her head!

pollito
April 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Dogo Argentino (Argentinian Mastiff) looks a lot like pit bull type and they are much taller, but the pure breed is only white, there are no other colors

Prin
April 3rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
I've actually never seen a dog with such a butt-head (sorry :o but usually dogs' heads go to a point, not a bum..). I don't know what breed has that... The ears look like a pitty or grey hound the way they hang away from the head. Some doggies can just grow taller even if they are pure...

Lucky Rescue
April 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
That is a picture of Tully, she is a champion bitch owned by a lady named Sarah.

She is a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and they are much smaller than pit bulls.

Maybe your sister is thinking of an American Bulldog, pictured below. If she wants either a Dogo or an American Bulldog, tell her she better research them thoroughly, as neither is a breed for inexperienced or first time owners.

hounds003
April 3rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Could it be a Presa Canario?(sp)
Here's a link to a pic
http://www.dgkennels.com/adults.html
http://www.1stklasskennels.com/picsfromspain.html

Just an fyi for those who don't know but the Toronto Sun had this breed on the front page after the ban was passed with headlines something like

This breed will replace the bit bull, bigger, stronger, meaner? I can't remember the exact words but the headline was clearly out to scare people.

Prin
April 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
The only thing is, this doggy you're asking about is missing the serious, boxy jaw. It's more of a labby jaw.

wjranch
April 3rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
If your sis is interested in a dog that has the same appearance and temperment as a Staffordshire Bull terrier but, is taller maybe she should get an American Staffordshire Bull terrier?? Basically, the same dog with more leg ;) good luck

kayla
April 3rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Here's another pic of a dog she likes. It's a mixed breed though I think. She is thinking of getting a mutt instead, since we can't find a breed she likes. She likes dogs with a more square head, and she wants a pretty gentle dog, so the bull breeds probably aren't a good idea for her..

kayla
April 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
Now that I think about it I think she is probably looking for some sort of short haired black lab mix (she wants short hair). Wonder what the chances of her finding one in a shelter are.

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 12:26 AM
It's hard to get a dog with a very square head that is not a bully mix... Does your sister know that with the looks comes a personality? Maybe it would be a good idea to research breeds' personalities before deciding on a look, no?

kayla
April 4th, 2005, 03:06 AM
It's hard to get a dog with a very square head that is not a bully mix... Does your sister know that with the looks comes a personality? Maybe it would be a good idea to research breeds' personalities before deciding on a look, no?

She wants the personality of a submissive poodle in the body of something she seems to have made up in her head. I give up on her- too difficult! Where is a sight you can see all breeds? I found one but it didn't have an Argentinian Mastiff or Presa Canario. Are these registered breeds?

pollito
April 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM
yes both dogs Argentinian mastiff and Presa Canario, are registered breeds. I usually look for breeds on a russian website and then look them up on search engines, but here is a good website I found with breeds http://www.dogweb.nl/hondenrassen/dogbreeds.html

P.S. Argentinina Mastiff, is most likely to be specified under Dogo Argentino, few people know that dog under the Argentinian Mastiff name.

just check out this link
http://dog.breeder.ru/index.php3?mode=5&id=12952

it will give you an idea of how similar those dogs are to a pitbull, and how big grown up dogs are.

pollito
April 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM
the difference that I forgot to mention was that Dogos Argentinos were bred not for the fighting but for hunting, and even though they need to be trained, they do not have the same dog aggression that most pitbulls tend to have.

Lucky Rescue
April 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM
She wants the personality of a submissive poodle

Who says poodles are submissive?:p They were actually bred as all-purpose tough gun dogs, and although they are very smart and trainable and fun, "submissive" is not a known breed trait.

Dogo Argentinos are I believe registered with the UKC, don't know about Presas. Neither of these dogs are what anyone would consider to be "submissive" and would be a disasterous choice for someone who knows nothing about dogs.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers have always been known for being sweet and very good with kids. Pit bulls and American Staffordshires may be dog-aggressive, but are in general very "soft" and submissive to people.

Natasa
April 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Now that I think about it I think she is probably looking for some sort of short haired black lab mix (she wants short hair). Wonder what the chances of her finding one in a shelter are.
Shelters are full of short haired mostly black dogs. I would suggest your sister go to a shelter and spend some time with dogs there and pick one based on the personality and not size of the head. Even though dogs of the same breed should have many things in common (breed traits), they are still individual dogs with separate personalities.

No, Dogo or Presa are not registered with CKC or AKC, but are with UKC if that what you are asking.

kayla
April 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Shelters are full of short haired mostly black dogs. I would suggest your sister go to a shelter and spend some time with dogs there and pick one based on the personality and not size of the head. Even though dogs of the same breed should have many things in common (breed traits), they are still individual dogs with separate personalities.

Yes she's thinking of the shelters. She is VERY picky though, not the type of person to get a dog unless it is exactly what she wants, looks and personality. Kinda annoying but at least she does out a lot of thought into these things and doesn't do an impulse buy.

I personally think the American Staffordshires are really cute but we can't have any dog unfriendly dogs in the family because when everyone gets together it adds up to many many dogs. There is already a female poodle who hates any other dog than her brother, although she doesn't get too physical. Then there is the heinz 57 runt who was abandoned in a drain pipe on the side of a higway and is scared of everything and we don't want any dog picking on him. So basically we need a very people and dog friendly animal. Sarah has had experience with many dogs, even though this will be the first one she adopts herself.

How can you tell the personality of a dog in such a short meeting in the shelter? I can bring Kayla in to see if it is aggressive towards her, but Kayla is also a puppy and I have rarely seen any dog be aggressive to her, even if I have seen the same dog be aggressive to other dogs.

Safyre
April 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I misht be a lil late in replying, but, the Argentina Dogo and the Perro de Presa Canario are NOT recognized breeds by the CKC.
However, their information can be found at a www.dogsincanada.com i find it a useful, userfriendly website, with all of the dogs i have ever looked for.

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
This middle pup, looks kind of like the one you posted.

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM
If she like the square headed breeds, what about a boxer (pic of boxer pups)
They are great family pets, (but very energetic!)

kayla
April 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
This middle pup, looks kind of like the one you posted.

What kind of pups are those? Boxer mixes? Very cute I will show them to her!

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
No, the first pups are actually American Staffordshire terriers.

Lucky Rescue
April 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM
They look like pit bulls/Amstaffs to me.

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM
They are pure bred American Staffordshire terriers, the pic actually came from the AKC web site.

greaterdane
April 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Its a little late in the thread but that top picture looks just like my sisters female pittbull Sabbath, same head and everything, she is leggy but small and was a rescue from a horrible situation. She was a blue nose when she was born, but it turned black as she grew older. I saw that picture and thought is was Sabbath. I'll have to have her send me some pictures to compare.

greaterdane
April 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Here she is, she has a different jaw then the above pic, and this picture does not show her butt like head, but I will have my sister send me other pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lickinlizard/sabbath.jpg

kayla
April 12th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Oh that is such a cute pic! I love pit bulls, they are the cutest :) Not sure if my sister would be able to handle one though, kind of a breed for the very experienced owner.