Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

banned dog breeds

jackieb
April 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
i know pitbulls are a banned dog breed i wondered what other dogs are classed as dangerous dog breeds.

We are hoping to get a mastiff but are also considering other breeds

Prin
April 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM
Depends where you live...

Safyre
April 3rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
the ontario by law

(2) Section 1 of the Act is amended by adding the following definitions:

“pit bull” includes,

(a) a pit bull terrier,

(b) a Staffordshire bull terrier,

(c) an American Staffordshire terrier,

(d) an American pit bull terrier,

(e) a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those of dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); (“pit-bull”)

That last line is interesting, and thats where it may get sticky, IMHO.

Cactus Flower
April 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Well, considering that many "pit bull" attacks aren't even pit bulls in the first place, .... I would think that the range on this is quite broad.

You can probably Google dog-bite statistics and find some form of list that shows frequency. Just be sure to check the credentials/motivation of the people who wrote the list.

I know that a year ago on pets.ca, people were posting several such lists in the heated pit-bull banning threads. You could even browse through them, if you wanted to.

MegShawnMom
April 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
The problem is that the government is leaving it up to the municipal a.c. to determine what the breed is.Asking a vet doesn't help much either.We have all seen vets screw up the breeds.If somebody compains then a.c. is forced to lodge a compaint against you and your dogs.We all know that spells disaster,easiest way to get back at your neighbour.
As for a mastiff,getting close.Who knows how far this law will expand.Look at Italy ,47 breeds banned.