Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbulls currently in shelters

Beaglemom
April 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted in another thread. But, I was wondering with the new ban on Pit Bulls, what is going to happen to all the dogs currently in shelters? Will they still be allowed to be adopted out? I hate to think of what might happen if they will not be allowed to be adopted.

I was on the Toronto Humane Society website recently and noticed how many wonderful dogs are available for adoption and couldn't help wondering since the ban states that you can keep your current dog, but could not acquire another one once the ban comes into effect. Does that mean adoptions as well?

I don't agree with banning specific breeds since it doesn't solve the problem. I have known quite a few pit bulls and they have all been wonderful. In fact, if I could I would love to have one. I have always liked the bully breeds and would love to have one someday.

Luvmypit
April 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM
As far as I know they can be adopted out only after 60 days. I could be wrong. After 60 days they will be PTS or sent for medical research.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
April 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM
I believe even when the law comes into effect, pits can still be adopted out.

pitbulliest
April 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
anyone know of any court proceedings or any organization thats already doing something about it as we speak? What is AFTU doing right now? I know they have that famous lawyer..but do they have to wait till august to act? GAH I'm a nervous wreck....sorry guys :confused: :( :yuck:

mafiaprincess
April 1st, 2005, 07:16 PM
From the Tor Star "The law contains a grandfather clause to protect dogs already in the province, as well as those born in the province within 90 days of the Aug. 29 date. "

Beaglemom
April 1st, 2005, 08:52 PM
I really do hope that they will still be able to be adopted. Just thinking of what could end up being their fate makes me sick.

I phoned the Toronto Humane Society and asked them because this has been bothering me. The girl that took my call wasn't sure yet as to what was going to happen to the ones that are at their shelter. She said that they are currently looking into it and checking out every legal option they have but couldn't give me an exact answer. She said that one of the options that they are researching would be to have them adopted out of province possibly even in the states.

Jono
April 1st, 2005, 11:32 PM
After the grace period after the ban starts expires (I believe it's 90 days, but it could be 60) the dogs will no longer be able to be adopted in Ontario. The can still be adopted by someone out of province, released to animal testing labs, or euthanized, but that's it. Alternatively the shelters can keep them, but paying to house unadoptable dogs isn't somethign they're able to afford at this point, so they'll probably chose the third option for dogs that aren't be adopted out of province.

Kayla and Me
April 3rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
After the grace period after the ban starts expires (I believe it's 90 days, but it could be 60) the dogs will no longer be able to be adopted in Ontario. The can still be adopted by someone out of province, released to animal testing labs, or euthanized, but that's it. Alternatively the shelters can keep them, but paying to house unadoptable dogs isn't somethign they're able to afford at this point, so they'll probably chose the third option for dogs that aren't be adopted out of province.

My understanding was that if the dogs pass the socialization testing, and are spayed or neutered, and you can assure the Humane Society that you are a good home, then the dogs can be released. However, there is also a limitation on how long they can afford to keep them. Kayla came from the pound, and when my kids got her last fall, they were told that she would not have been put down for a long time, because she had passed all the criteria with flying colours. I admit that I am not sure of the official wording of the law, but I do know that the Humane Society is fighting this as best they can. My son's girlfriend works for the Humane Society and she says they are definitely trying to hold the dogs that are adoptable as long as they can.

MegShawnMom
April 3rd, 2005, 01:17 AM
Sorry, there will be no adoptions from H>S ,private rescues or shelters.
Some H.S. will be sending pitties to Quebec.Crossing into the USA is being considered but they are having a hard enough time trying to rehome their own.
Our hope is in the legal team headed by Clayton Ruby who is trying to have the law overturned.
Most shelters will end up having to PTS the pitties because so many are/will be turned in and unable to rehome them.
The government is asking the H.S. and shelters to send them to research.Check with your local shelter.better yet the city clerk for what they are instructing the a.c. to do.

Spurby
April 3rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
I have been quite confused on this issue as well, as i don't think the bill was very clear, at least to me anyways.

From what i can gather, only pit bulls born after the 90 grace period cannot be adopted out within the province, but they will allow shelters to ship them out of province, how sweet..will the provincial liberals be picking up the tab for this? don't think so..I think we can all understand just what will be happening to those pit bulls that were born after this 90 day grace period :( .

Apparently, pit bulls can be adopted out still..but in this excerpt below, they clearly give the option to PTS as well. My guess is the majority of shelters will take the PTS option, rather than adopting out(Hamilton already tried). The adoption rate for pit bulls has always been dismal, but it will become worse after the ban comes into effect. Who walks into a shelter with a muzzle in hand wanting to adopt a dog??

---------------------------------------------------------------------

7.4) Where the operator of a pound believes it has possession of a pit bull and that it should not return the pit bull under subsection (7.3), the operator of the pound shall do one of the following with the dog:

1. Destroy the dog.

2. Transfer the dog to a person who is resident outside Ontario in a jurisdiction in which ownership and possession of the pit bull is lawful, where the person is acquiring the dog, in good faith, in order that it be used as a pet or in hunting or for working purposes.

3. Transfer the dog in accordance with clause 20 (6) (c).

4. Transfer the dog in accordance with the permission to transfer restricted pit bulls given by section 9 of the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

Here is a link to the bill http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b132_e.htm

MegShawnMom
April 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
The province is not going to pick up the bill for transfering pitties out of Ontario.Remember that shelters are municipal controlled.
Shelters who have connections to rescues groups and H.S. in Quebec will be able to transport out providing Quebec will tke them.Hopefully all the rescues in Quebec will help in this.
The 90 days mentioned is for pregnant pitties to have their pups safely,after that they are considered illegal and can be seized and destroyed.Fortunately they have no 'pittycops' it is left up to the municipal A.C. to deal with.Many of the A.C. don't have directives yet on how and what to do.
Yep.its confusing.
Thekey rright now is how good and open is your municipal A.C. to following the government orders.Many municipalities are upset about the added cost of this new law that they must bear.
How far will this go, check out Italy,I think they are up to 46 breed bans.In the states there are a number of counties(Ohio) that have banned pitties and there are very tough about it.

LL1
April 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
I wonder what will happen,I know many if not most of the all breed rescues in Quebec will not take Rotts,Sheps or Pits.

Shelters who have connections to rescues groups and H.S. in Quebec will be able to transport out providing Quebec will tke them.Hopefully all the rescues in Quebec will help in this.

Lucky Rescue
April 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
I know many if not most of the all breed rescues in Quebec will not take Rotts,Sheps or Pits.

You can add Dobermans to that list. As far as I know, personally, only 2 rescues here will take any of these dogs. There are some individuals who will take them, but of course they can take only 1 at a time.

There is only 1 no-kill shelter also, so sending any of those breeds here is really not feasible.

LL1
April 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Forgot about Dobes,sorry.Looks like other provinces would be more feasible,provided funds can be raised for transport.