Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering a dog - I must be mad.

kimbilly
April 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
What am I getting myself into… let me start at the beginning.

I got a call from a friend asking me if I wanted a second beagle. I have a 7-month-old Beagle and they thought I might be interested in a second dog. The current owner is urgently trying to get rid of the dog, as they do not have time for him. He is a 1.5-year-old purebred beagle who has be neutered (at least they did something right).

My husband and I discussed it and decided that it would not be practical at this time to get a second dog and ours was a handful enough at times (as are all puppies), I asked a few friends and there were no bites.

I get an email today from my friend (the owners work colleague) to tell me that she has been talking to the owner and is so mad. The dog is currently crated for 11 hours a day and is then sent into the backyard. The owner cannot understand why the dog wants to immediately come inside to them?????? The do not have time to walk him. I continued to read that they are off on holiday on Sunday for 2 weeks and have decided to put the poor guy in kennels, the kennels keep the dogs crated during the day and only let them out for pee breaks.

By this time my blood is boiling and all I keep thinking is this poor dog. What kind of life has he had, so………… I have told the owner that I am prepared to foster the dog until he finds a forever home. I cannot let him stay locked up there with no love.

We are going to meet him tomorrow and he and my guy get along, he will be coming home with us. At least I will know he is in good hands.

So now I am on the search for a suitable owner. I have contacted Big on Beagles and am waiting for their advice on the situation and I am getting the word out there thru friends etc.

So that is my story, not too sure how the next few weeks will pan out, but one day at a time.

BMDLuver
April 1st, 2005, 02:31 PM
If they were willing to pay for this dog to be in a kennel while on vacation, I would charge it as a surrender fee. If it is not needed for their dog as he must be UTD on vaccinations if being kennelled, then if a rescue helps to place him, it is a donation they can certainly use towards another dog who may not be in such good shape and have all it needs. Just a thought.

Oh btw, good on you for helping this guy out!

nymph
April 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
This may be off-topic: are kennels that bad?

BMDLuver
April 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
I think it is more a matter of the dog spending all day in a kennel, then they get two weeks off and instead of planning a "family" vacation with all members included, they shove the dog in a kennel as an inconvenience to their lifestyle.

jjgeonerd
April 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
This may be off-topic: are kennels that bad?
Depends on the kennel. Some let dogs play and run in open areas and are great...others not so much.

Prin
April 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM
I would say in this situation, it depends on how well the two get along. Beagles are quite social and it might do them good to have a buddy. I have ALWAYS had two dogs (always big dogs though) and I think that two are not much more work than one. You already have to walk the first one, pick up after the first one, train the first one... The second one just has to tag along. At 1.5 years he may be more willing to learn than the puppy is and may prove to be a good influence.

Plus, if they get along, they'll keep each other company and maybe chew less in the house (that is what happened with ours-- apart they destroy, together, I can leave the garbage out and they don't touch it. :) )

As for kennels, I have yet to find one I really like. My doggies are coming with us wherever we go until I can open my own.

Beaglemom
April 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
kimbilly I think it is great that you are planning on helping out this poor beagle. 11 hours locked up in a crate is way too long for any dog. It is too bad that some people don't realize the responsibility involved with pet ownership and how much exercise and attention they require. Beagles are pack dogs and as such thrive on companionship.

As for the kennels, there are boarding kennels that operate like doggie camps where they are given play times with the other dogs being boarded.

Princesss04
April 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM
First of all I want to say thank you for helping this baby. He needed you and you were there for him. You must have a good heart. I think your little baby needs someone to play with. LOL :D Keep us posted on how things go. Good luck! And if you have any questions or concerns please let us know and someone will help you. :D

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Thank you for taking this poor baby and showing him what a good home is like.

When you are ready, let me know and I can list him on my site for you and get him a fabulous home.

Be warned, you may very well end up two dogs after all.;)

kimbilly
April 1st, 2005, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the positive responses. Once I know a bit more about his habits and personality I will let you all know.

LuckyRescue Thank you for your kind offer, I may well take you up on that.

maddoxies
April 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you for standing up and helping this baby. Usually an older dog can help teach the puppy. I say usually as this poor fellow has not had a normal life now.

All of us foster folks will be more than happy to help you in the fostering process.

I also found another beagle rescue mad4beagles. I think it was @hotmail.com

Prin. I will send you a pm with three kennel options in Montreal. One is the kennels that I use, another is one that was recommended to me and the third is a dog training/day care centre that is about to start boarding services too.

SnowDancer
April 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM
Kimbilly - I think you will soon find yourself the Mommy of 2 Beagles. It is wonderful of you to take the pup in - I sure hope it works out. Re kennels, there are some good ones and some real horror stories out there. In 30 years of marriage we did not board a dog - didn't take vacations together as we don't have family - but we adopted an Eskimo last July and we met a nice young lady who used to work at our vet's and then at the groomer's on same premises - who started a dog boarding, dog walking, etc. service. She has 2 dogs of her own - and she loves my dog and he loves her. Eskimos do not like everyone, although our pup has a very sweet disposition and she doesn't mind his "Eskie Hugs". She has boarded him twice. What really pleased me is that she came to pick him up at the house the second time and he recognized her from the window - as he was glaring at the nasty neighbours. He went nuts to have me let her in. I was a bit anxious how he would react to her on his home territory so this was great. WE LIVE IN TORONTO! If you would like her info, please PM me. I had a Beagle for 12 years - adopted him at the age of 7 - so 19 when he passed. Really loved his food - surpassed in appetite only by the mini Dachshunds we adopted after his death. How we kept their weight under control is a serious mystery. An Eskimo is not a hound, but he is trying hard.

kimbilly
April 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
We now have Angus at home with us. Our little guy, Bentley, thinks it is great having a live in play mate. Angus is a great boy that just wants love and cuddles.

So now we just need to find him the perfect forever home.

LuckyRescue I will PM you about the Petfinder website.

Thanks again everyone for your support. I will post pictures a bit later today.