Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing new cats

Britishvixen21
March 31st, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hi,
So, some of you may know that im adopting Cali, and ive read all of the stuff on introducing them and its in the works. however what do I do if Mya goes at Cali in a big way. Do I just seperate them and try again gently, or do I reprimand Mya for it. im a little confused? any suggestions on what I do if this goes tits up as we say back home?

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 03:03 PM
I will put some Rescue Remedy in the water for Cali. She will have been 6 hours in the car with my dachshund, plus the Go train ride, so I would say she needs to have her own "room" for the first night for sure.

If the whole thing does go "tits up", I will be in the City for 2 weeks, so can always take Cali back with me. (ALWAYS have a Plan B)

I will leave it to the cat experts to guide you beyond that.

Britishvixen21
March 31st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Oh no no no, I didnt mean that tits up LOL> I meant if they didnt get on at first, im persistant and stubborn with my training. Theres no way I want to send her back. If we managed to sort things out with Mya who im sure had been possessed by satan himself at one point we can sure get through this!!! What my main question was, was do I reprimand Mya for being mean to her or is she just trying to protect her territory. Also we live in an apartment that is very open plan, the only place I have to put Cali is the bathroom which is quite large. would you suggest sending Mya to cat hotel for the first night? or will cali be ok in the bathroom?

Lucky Rescue
March 31st, 2005, 04:27 PM
I gave you an article on introducing cats. Is there anything in the article that is not clear?

This could take some time, so you need to be patient. If the only place you have to isolate Cali is in the bathroom then that will have to do. Put a comfy bed and all her stuff in there, and visit her frequently. She will no doubt be quite stressed unless she is a totally laid back cat.

would you suggest sending Mya to cat hotel for the first night?
Not sure what that means?

Rita
March 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think that making Mya leave her own home so you can bring a newbie in is such a good idea .... might give Mya bad feelings right from the start.
I've read a lot about getting cats used to each other scents is very important in the introduction phase. Putting Cali in the bathroom should be fine. Maybe bring a blanket or something of Mya's in to Cali so she can smell Mya and then do the same with something of Cali's so Mya can pick up her scent.
It might end up being a long process, but have patience and hopefully everything will work out.
Good luck ... :thumbs up

aussiemedogs
March 31st, 2005, 06:29 PM
When I introduced one cat to another.....I had the female in the cage sitting on my table and let the male sniff around her while she sat there mouthing off. It was quite simple as tango went to my room to sleep so I let Bella out to roam. She hissed real nasty and started roaring up a storm. I kept them seperate over night and bright and early I reversed the process switching cats/cages and by noon they were friends. I am sure all will work out! Be brave!!!

mona_b
April 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
When I introduced one cat to another.....I had the female in the cage sitting on my table and let the male sniff around her while she sat there mouthing off. It was quite simple as tango went to my room to sleep so I let Bella out to roam.

This is exactly what we did when we adopted a little sister for Casper(advise given by LR and chico. :thumbs up ).Casper was an aggressive(deaf) 6 month old kitten.Winnie was only 8 weeks old and tiny..We did this for a little over a week.And trust me,I hid in the kitchen whe the real face to face meeting came around.I know,what a wuss I was.LOL.When no one was home,we didn't leave them alone.Winnie stayed in our bedroom.They were only allowed to be together when someone was home.after about a month,they were actually allowed to roam free around the house alone.Casper is now 18 months and Winnie is 1.They clean each other and rough house it.Which poor Tron sometimes gets the brunt of it.And tries to stay clear of them.LOL

You will definately need to be patient with this.And do not punish Mya in any way,shape or form.She has been the only cat for this long.And you are bringing a new one into her territory.This will take some time.

Britishvixen21
April 1st, 2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys that clears things up, and LR I know I got hte article sitting right here and ive read it, I was just unsure as to what to do if Mya was really mean like did i reprimand her for it, or let it take its natural course but someone already answered.

I went out last night to the pet store ( I hate this store at young and Eglington as they always have animals that look so ill and sickly but its the only one near me) I got plenty of catnip, which I found Mya does like! ITs like she snorted cocaine LOL, and I got Cali a new bed, one with a hood so she feels protected. and a new litter tray.
Im in this for the long haul, i want them to get along so Il do what it takes. Golden is going to drop her off next saturday so I have the weekend.

chico2
April 1st, 2005, 08:46 AM
I have never introduced grown cats to each other,but when I got my foundling Vinnie,first I let Rocky and Chico sniff him in the carrier,then I kept Vinnie in a seperate room with French Doors so they could watch each other.
There was a lot of growling and hissing,at one point I was ready to give Vinnie back to my friends who found him,but of course I did not and things got better....now I am eternally greatful to have Vinnie,he is the sweetest little angel :angel:
One thing for sure,never punish Mya for being insecure of "the intruder"into her life,no matter how much she spits and hisses..it will be a long and slow process and probably turn your household topsy-turvy,but I am sure you'll have 2 very happy friends in the end.
Thank's for taking beautiful Cali,you have already showed great patience and willingness to work things out with Mya,so I am sure eventually you will with Cali too. :thumbs up

Britishvixen21
April 1st, 2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the encouragement it means a lot, and yes when I posted on here it was last chance saloon for Mya, she really was ready for the pound. But now she is an absolute joy to be around and we are getting along just great. I realised I have to let her have her diva moments and she in turn lets mommy sleep in until 6.30 now instead of 6.25am!!! LOL. No seriously she has certainly come around and I wouldnt give her up for the world. I am also going to be very patient with Cali and her meeting Mya because I really want them to get along. My HB last night was awww is she going to be in the bathroom all night (hes a big suck) and I had to say YES SHE HAS TO BE!!! im like patience is a virtue. I think he had images of us putting her in there in the dark with no litter and the tap dripping or something LOL. he doesnt realise that it will be a pussy boudoir from heaven when im done making her comfortable. I cant see Mya putting up that much of a fight really but then ive never seen her with another cat in our home. I just hope she has a good memory and can remember when she was bought into her old home with the new cat who did not take kindly to her at all. But I will post regular updates and let you all know how it went. That weekend is going to be a bitch as I have that stress as well as driving lessons inbetween then 3 days later my driving test :eek: but its all in the life of a cat mommy LOL