Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Arkansas judge orders dogs debarked

heidiho
March 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Three healthy and active dogs are facing an invasive -- and some say inhumane -- surgical procedure if their owner decides to comply with an Arkansas judge's court order.

What do you think?

Should a judge be able to order dog owners to have their animals debarked?

Yes

No

No opinion

View Results
It all started when one of Jason Clearman's neighbors complained about his dogs barking.

Clearman moved to Sherwood with his dogs -- Ticker, Gravy and Magic -- a little more than six months ago. The dogs are usually in Clearman's house. When they're left outside, though, one neighbor said they make too much noise.

"We've talked to our other neighbors and none of them seem to have a problem," Clearman told Little Rock TV station KATV. After a court battle, the judge handed down a decision that made Clearman sick to his stomach. "He's ordering our dogs to have their vocal chords cut out of their throat," Clearman said.

Clearman said he believes the procedure the judge has decreed is inhumane, saying there are other things that can be done -- things that don't involve invasive surgery.

According to animal behaviorists, there are effective training methods to teach dogs not to bark, as well as commercial products such as collars and sound devices.

heidiho
March 31st, 2005, 12:32 PM
My a** would be moving,,,,,,,,,,,,

lezzpezz
March 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM
I vote NO! Having lived beside a woman who dragged my azz to court twice over my "barking" Pyrenees, I had done everything training-wise to get my dog to behave, and the dog was not really ever barking to excess. I would not allow this as it drives ME crazy to listen to! I had actually considered this barbaric alternative, that, or moving away, because my neighbour was so insistent on calling the cops repeatedly. Finally I put my foot down, went to court and won both cases. I presented in court the following: proof of training classes, Canine Good Citizen course certificate, muzzles, citronella collars, training books and videos, letters from witnesses and anything else I could muster up in my favour. The judge identified right away that this was not even a dog barking issue, rather, a neighbourhood dispute issue on the neighbours' part and he chastised her thoroughly for wasting everone's time, not once, but TWICE!! Ha! Just wondering if the owner of the 3 dogs can approach the case from a neighbourhood dispute angle like I did, and not as a dog barking issue??

goldenblaze
March 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
No way would i debark my dogs... Vets here in my town won't do it anyway...girl I know wanted her's done it had to go out of town for it to be done... still sounds like a bark too.

CyberKitten
March 31st, 2005, 07:20 PM
I had a former neighbour get rid of his dog when his next door neighbour- not me! - complained. He later became a Liberal MP - big surprise!

twodogsandacat
March 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Sickening. I'd be moving too. That should satisfy the neighbour and hopefully the judge.

I just hope there are no noisy kids around.

Barking dogs would annoy me if it were continuous but I do not agree with this judge.

heidiho
April 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah lets take out vocal corda on loud,obnoxious bratty kids...............

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM
One of our neighbours dogs barks continousley most of the day and it drives me a bit crazy sometimes i wish he would just let the dog in. I dont have the nerve to say anything as the neighbour is actually a nice guy and has helped us out on occasion. I think the surgery would be mean. What if the dog were in trouble and needed to bark.

I say no

amandaW
April 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM
as a former neighbor of a dog that had barked me out of sleep at 6am each and every day for a year I have to say I totally empathize for neighbors on this subject. There is nothing worse than a dog that barks at all hours of the day. I dont agree with de-barking by any means. no one should de-bark a dog. its absolutely inhumane. the choices are really limited on quieting a barker. no one should have to live with a neighbors endlessly barking dog... so I do understand the neighbor taking it to court if the owner could not quiet it down. if you havent had the opportunity to live with this extremely annoying situation count yourselves lucky.

so my answer is NO to de-barking.... but with complete understanding for non-dog loving neighbors who have to live with it.

kandy
April 21st, 2005, 05:35 PM
I would vote NO on the debarking - there are lots of other things that can be done to correct the problem. Dogs bark for all sorts of reasons - boredom, communicating with other dogs, sees something they want you to check out, you name it! Our first Newf barked alot in the middle of the night, but everytime I went outside to tell her quiet - I would notice that the little yipper behind me was outside barking its head off. She probably thought if the poodle X was barking that maybe there was something to bark at and she wasn't doing her job or something. Debarking dogs is inhumane - obviously this judge is not a dog person! :mad:

greaterdane
April 21st, 2005, 07:13 PM
I would vote no. Also with our by laws here you can make all the racket you want from the hours of 7-11pm, if the dogs are in after that and not barking then there would be no case here.

As for the de-barking. I met two de-barked pugs as a kid. Saddest thing i had ever seen. They make kind of a barking noise but its just pathetic. Poor little guys, the owner had it done right when they were little puppies, before they were even neutered. Sick sick sick

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 12:09 AM
My neighbors minpin barks 24-7, but I know it's not his fault. He is alone for like 16 hours every day. I'd bark too. I vote NO. What an idiot judge.
This is what the next headline should read:
PET FORUM WINS COURT BATTLE TO GET JUDGE DEBARKED

heh heh heh.... :p