Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spring Flowers...

Princesss04
March 31st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Okay, I am getting ready to start all my flower beds. :D I was wondering what types of flowers are okay to plant and what is not? Thanks for all your help. When we were growing up we always had a ton of flowers but never worried about what could harm an animal. But, now that I have my babies I want to be very careful. Thanks for all your help! :D

raingirl
March 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I guess it depends on whether your dogs eat plants. If they do, then stay away from all things in the lily family (I really hope Odin doesn't like to eat plants when I get a house, as Lilies are my favorite flower!!). Are you going to plant veggies? Then stay away from tomatoes, as the leaves are poisonous.

I think the best thing would be to choose the plants you like first (make a list), and then find out what is poisonous or not.

If your dogs don't eat plants, then plant what you want!

Do you want a garden with flowers that come up each year, or a garden you have to replant each year?

I did some landscaping jobs before, so I can help you out if you want.

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2005, 12:37 PM
http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm

There's a starter list that includes flowers and plants.

If you are also looking at gardening, you may also find this list helpful.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

goldenblaze
March 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Princesss04.....thanks for the info..... my beds are still covered with snow and ice... enjoy spring ;) I will when we get some too.

Princesss04
March 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM
I want my flowers mainly up front (the dogs are not there at all) than I want the veggies in the back fenced in yeard (where the dogs are) LOL I have never had a veggie garden although I really want to try. What are some easy veggies and flowers to grow. We like corn. onions, lettuce, radish, tomatoes, hubby does not like peas, cabbage. What are some more things we can grow and out of all the veggies what are the easiest to grow, because this will be my first garden. You all I do not even know where to start. LOL Help me. What all do I need, etc. I like any flowers so that should be easy just tell me what is easy to plant and take care of. I want to do flower beds along the house in the front and on the side. I know I will need multch, what else. Thanks again for the help. As you can all see I need it. :D :D :D

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 04:18 PM
most herbs are really easy to grow (like dill, basil, coriander, oregano, and thyme). and i find carrots, snow peas, lettuce, and strawberries are pretty easy to grow up north, but not sure about where you live, what's the climate like? one piece of advice though, find out if the wild life where you are shares your taste in veggies and if they do make sure you have adequate protection or else all your hard work will be for nothing (not that this has happened to me :cool: )