Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I stop her from destroying my yard?

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM
So a patch of grass has finally appeared under the snow in my yard and I have discovered something dreadful, Kayla is a digging dog :eek: When I saw her digging I yelled at her to stop, she did for a sec then went right back at it so I yelled at her to stop again. I'm not always out with her to correct her behavior though and need to figure out how to stop it before it becomes a real problem! She has always loved digging in plants and LOVES to eat dirt (needed minerals maybe?) which of course I also tell her no for doing. How can I stop this behavior and stop her from destroying my entire yard?

nymph
March 31st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Can you give her a favorite something to chew on in the yard? My puppy Diego does the same thing, digging and eating dead grass or leaves. A few days ago he found himself a small tree branch that he just loves, so we place that branch right outside our patio door. So everytime he's out playing in the yard, the first thing he grabs is that branch, and he's been playing with that thing everytime he goes in the yard. He still occassionally digs, but we were able to catch him in action and tell him "no digging", then give him his favorite branch again. I guess it's just like correcting chewing.

I've read elsewhere that you could create a sandbox (a rightful place) for your dog to dig. I think I'm going to try this if Diego's digging gets worse. Dogs who stay mostly indoors don't usually dig that much, or they grow out of it, so I've read somewhere.

Princesss04
March 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
This is the life long question and when you find an answer for it please let me know. LOL Our yard looks like it could be the moon. LOL With all the craters. :eek: They have alot of toys outside but does not really seem to be helping. We are getting ready to fill in all the holes. I want to plant flowers and stuff but do not want to do all the work and than it all be messed up. If I make a place for them to dig what do I fill it with. Dirt, sand, etc.

Dog Dancer
March 31st, 2005, 12:24 PM
From what I hear the sandbox is the route to go, but a friend who is a trainer says to plant treats in there to encourage the dog to snoop in it. She uses bits of hot dogs or the like to start with as the dogs can't resist and can smell it easily. This shows them that it's the place to go and dig. Can't hurt to try. Maybe a kiddie pool filled with sand? Good luck.

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 03:30 PM
The problem with a sandbox is I'm renting and am not staying here for longer than nother year so there's not really much point in investing in a box just yet. She has toys littered about the yard but I guess they don't taste nearly as good as dirt, especially the kind you have to dig really deep to get!

Sometimes I think she might have vitimin deficiencies or something. She eats strange things, like small rocks, she chews on the side of the brick house (hope my landlord doesn't find that one out), and is also a big fan of eating what just came out of her :yuck: She's on very good dog food though.. Maybe she doesn't get enough salt in her diet? She goes absolutely nutso's for salty food, like canned tuna. Mind you I have no idea if dirt has a high salt content, haven't tasted it since I was a kid :p

Maybe I will try to designate one corner of the garden for her 'sandbox'. That way at least the tenant downstairs won't notice and complain. I will plant some treats there. Thanks for the tips!

jjgeonerd
March 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Gabby eats anything! She also has succeeded in destroying the grass in my back yard. It is actually pretty amazing...she would pee on the ONLY green spot in the entire yard...like she had something against it! We're just going to replace the grass with wood chips (like dog parks) and plant things that dogs are less likely to eat...if those exist! :confused:

nymph
March 31st, 2005, 04:04 PM
I've read some articles online since Diego started digging. Some mentioned that dogs that mostly stay outdoors tend to dig more, most indoor dogs will grow out of it. For those diggers, some dogs dig one big favorite hole and keep going back to the same hole; other dig a new hole everytime. Things you could try:

-Fill the hole with a big rock, or gravels
-Fill the hole with water
-Fill the bottom of hole with chili sauce and cover with other stuff
-Fill the hole with the dog's own feces (I know, nasty stuff)
-Spray the dog with garden hose, but only by surprise

However these are all aversion techniques, a positive technique is the sandbox. Hide some treats in a loosely covered sandbox, tell the dog to "DIG", as soon as he digs in the sandbox, praise him like crazy; otherwise tell him "BAD DIG", and take him to the sandbox.

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
jjgeonard: a way to stop your lawn from turning brown is by adding table sugar which helps feed the microbes which break down the extra nitrogen. or you could plant some corn, i believe it uses lots of nitrogen! :D

here's a few tips on digging i found on the net for whoever's interested:

1. you can try burying a water balloon in one of the holes which will pop in its face when it starts digging (surprise).

2. fill the holes with the dogs' feces and cover with dirt

3. Sprinkle some mothball ice crystals where your dog digs. The smell burns its nose and will quit. Although moth balls in holes may work. Please remember the moth balls are very dangers and sometimes deadly to cats.

4. Put paprika or cayenne into the hole where your little one decides he's going to dig. The paprika makes his nose itch and is very uncomfortable for the dog.

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Kayla appears to be eating her own feces, so that is not going to work for discouraging digging. So, Forbid for that issue. I like the sound of the water balloon, wish I had know about that with Champ. That dog went half way to China in my backyard.

I know I am paranoid at the moment, after what we went thru last week, but sugar feeds cancer cells, so personally, I am making sure Valentin gets as little sugar as possible.

What about snow fencing? You know, the plastic fencing that looks like the plastic rings for pop cans, maybe that on the ground would discourage her ???

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2005, 04:43 PM
When I move next month I'm getting a kiddie pool. They are 9.99 at Petsmart (possibly cheaper elsewhere but I haven't really looked yet.) I was going to fill it with water, but I'm thinking about putting sand in it instead, she loves to dig even when I am outside playing with her.

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
What about snow fencing? You know, the plastic fencing that looks like the plastic rings for pop cans, maybe that on the ground would discourage her ???

I think I know what you're talking about. Problem is the tenant downstairs complains about EVERYTHING and if I put a layer of plastic on the lawn (even though it is our lawn in the lease) she wouldn't be too impressed. I like the balloon idea too, it has the added bonus of being fun to watch :D .

If you don't like the sugar idea you can use anything high in carbohydrate, even good compost would work. You can also sprinkle with baking soda to reduce acidity.

kayla
March 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM
When I move next month I'm getting a kiddie pool. They are 9.99 at Petsmart (possibly cheaper elsewhere but I haven't really looked yet.) I was going to fill it with water, but I'm thinking about putting sand in it instead, she loves to dig even when I am outside playing with her.

hmmm, kiddie pool sounds like a good idea, and more in my budget. might look into it if the balloon doesn't work.

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2005, 05:28 PM
I stupidly gave away my childhood sandbox last summer.. (now that it could actually be used) I'm kicking myself. I figure it is probably easier t oteach that inside the kiddie pool is okay to dig, and put toys and treats in it than try to designate one part of the yard.. Harder to create a boundary or border.

Currently I'm trying to work on trying to keep Cider out of my parents flower bed.. She likes to run the fence line to 'play' with the nippy dog in the yard behind ours. If the owners weren't so awful, I'd try to arrange a play date..