Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how much to pay for a dog?

savannah
March 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I am supposed to be getting a young small breed dog next month, from someone who can't keep the dog. I asked about an adoption fee, and she said she is not charging one. I would feel much better giving the lady some $$ (the dog is already altered and up to date on vaccines) but don't know what a reasonable amount to give her would be.
Any advice would be well appreciated.

SarahLynn123
March 31st, 2005, 08:40 AM
Since she doesn't want an adoption fee perhaps you can donate some money to the SPCA or a rescue in her name and then let her know. The money would be much appreciated by the receivers, and you'll feel great!

Trinitie
March 31st, 2005, 08:44 AM
If she doesn't want an adoption fee, then tell her you'll make a donation to a local pet shelter, in her name, for her kindness. Bring her a reciept to show her when it's done. That way, another helpless animal can benefit from your generousity.
In that case, I'd say that $100, or a whole whack of food, toys and stuff would be nice. Besides, the shelters could really use the help.

You're a very generous person to insist on an adoption fee. :thumbs up

nymph
March 31st, 2005, 09:11 AM
That was so nice of you! http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage15/15.gif

We gave the shelter a cheque of $100 when we adopted Diego, and bought a whole bunch of stuff from them (they also run a small pet shop), collar, leash, food dish, toys and treats. The shelter is now on my official donation list.

Princesss04
March 31st, 2005, 10:08 AM
You are very kind for wanting to give her some money but like the others said I would give it to the shelter and let her know about it. I think she would appreciate this. :D

savannah
March 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your response. So far, my plans are to donate to an animal shelter in her name (perhaps $80) and give her an adoption fee (perhaps $100 - at least something to cover for the spay and vaccinations) and if i get the time, buy her a small gift for her soon to be newborn child. I still have not heard back from her re date and time, so really the adoption has not been completley finalized, but i remain hopeful that i will adopt the cutie. I am trying my best not to count my chickens before they hatch, but as is apparent by me starting this thread, i am not good at that. ;)