Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a new dog

LittleLoves
March 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, or training. :confused:

I have a 2 1/2 year old female Fox Terrier/Swiss Shepherd mix. On April 21st we will be bringing home an 8 week old male Shih Tzu. :)

Does anyone have a link or information about introducing pets? Our Lady is very picky about the dogs she likes. Out of 17 in the neighborhood, she will only play with 3, and the rest make her hair stand up. She had a best friend named Luke (husky mix) who was three times the size of her and when they played she was always humping his head. :o I'm not sure if that behaviour will change now that she has been spayed.

Any advice or tips?

Thanks!

LittleLoves
March 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM
I should probably be more specific. :o

When introducing a new pet into your home, how long should you keep them separate? Should my first dog have bossing rights over the new one? Little Oscar (puppy) will be confined to the kitchen for at least the first six months, should Lady not be allowed in? I know not to leave them together unsupervised.

I've done some research about it and know that they should meet on neutral territory, so we will have them meet at the local park, and then I will drive them both home together.

Any advice or stories would be very helpful and appreciated. :)

Chantelle

Boisian
March 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM
The one piece of advice I can add is not to pet either dog too much upon the first meeting. It can make them territorial. I thought petting my dog would make her calm and feel loved when I introduced our new dog. It just made her protective "this is MY mom and you can't get near her". Ooops :o

Good luck!!

Contemplations
April 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
When I introduced my new puppy to my faithful dog PiPi, I was told from someone else to completely ignore both of them (when playing or introducing) so they can settle their little greetings and dispute. Multiple dogs in one home have their own little social status. A heirarchy if you may. Once the Alpha (male/female) is clearly obvious, whenever you feed or pet your pets, you should pay attention the dog with a "higher status" first.

I hope that helps. I'm not very smart. >.<

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Since you have an adult female, and the new dog is a male puppy only 8 weeks old, there shouldn't be much problem as adult dogs are generally very tolerant of puppies.

If your adult dog is average, you must let her correct the puppy if it annoys her too much or tries to steal her food. Some growling and even snapping (no contact or injury) is normal and this is how adult dogs teach puppies manners in the wild. Do not interfere unless you feel the puppy may be harmed.

If you correct your older dog for disciplining the puppy, you run the risk of making your dog resent the puppy.

LittleLoves
April 1st, 2005, 07:16 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I am about to write a chapter here so please forgive me! :o

When we got Lady, we made a lot of common mistakes. I probably don't need to tell you more than "we just wanted a dog". :rolleyes:

Anyhow, as I've done some reading I now know that I've allowed Lady to be "Leader" or the "Alpha" and I've been working very hard to correct behaviours and train myself to be better. ;) I've consulted a trainer two months ago and have been doing what he has suggested, but I've decided to enroll her in an obedience class. She has made plenty of progress, but some of her behaviours are deeply rooted.

Lady can be dog-aggressive sometimes. It seems that if she is locked in the house and can't get to the dogs walking by, she loses it. If we meet a dog on the street and she is leashed, she loses it. If she is tied outside and the neighbors two Standard Poodles come to take a big poo in our yard...she loses it.

Strangely, if a dog comes into our home, she loves them. :rolleyes: She's so backwards. I don't know if it's because she is unleashed and feels safer or what.

We can't arrange a meeting earlier than the day we bring the puppy home as we need to drive an hour to get there. Our plan is to have my husband meet me at the local park to introduce them. After a half an hour or so I will put both dogs in my truck and bring them home together. Does that sound ok?

Sorry for the novel!

Here is a pic of my daughter (an only child) loving on Lady. She says, "I always tell people that I do have a sibling, she's just furry!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ChantelleK/CaityandLady.jpg

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know if it's because she is unleashed and feels safer or what.

That's right. Many dogs feel vulnerable when they are leashed and put up a big display of aggression, but are fine when loose.

neighbors two Standard Poodles come to take a big poo in our yard

Maybe you should gather it up and give it all back to your inconsiderate neighbour!

LittleLoves
April 2nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
You know Lucky, I've thought about it, but instead we have asked them politely to keep their dogs leashed, we've written a letter when asking face to face didn't work, we've called animal control and they have been spoken too, but it just doesn't stop. Lady goes nuts when they are in our yard to the point that she has ripped the screens out of our windows! :mad:

Lady starts her classes in mid-May, and I'm going to start taking her to the local dog park. It's fenced in and they can be off-leash. I'm hoping to somehow socialize her. When we bought her she was six months old and had never been with other animals. I think she missed a very crucial time for socialization. I mean, can she even be socialized at 2 1/2? :confused: