Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vet bill

honeybee4
March 31st, 2005, 09:12 AM
So I took Mocha for his neuter yesterday, thinking I would just pay the $80 for the surgrey, which is what they told me it costs. When I got there with him yesterday morning they started asking if I wanted this done and that done, blood work was one of the things and some more shots. I said yes to both. When I went to pick him up and paid the bill it was $206. I looked at the bill and they had charged me for another vet visit of $38, which I was never told I would be charged for. So in total it was $79 for surgrey, $38 for the visit, $50 for the shots, and 40 for the blood work. I was so surprised when I looked at the bill. I knew I would have to pay more for the blood work and shots it just really surprised me about the visit, cause when I initially set up the appointment they said there would be no vet visit charge. Was it because he got shots and blood work? Thank god for visa or I wouldn't have been able to pay the complete bill. anyone else incounter this type of thing? and should I have gotten all this work done on him? He had just received some shots a couple weeks ago.

BMDLuver
March 31st, 2005, 09:16 AM
I think I would have argued about the vet visit charge. It's normally part of the surgery to do a go over on a pet before putting under anesthetic. I understand the blood work to make sure anesthetic compatible. Also, there is a school of thought that suggests not doing vaccinations concurrent with anesthetic as they don't have enough information/testing to know if it affects the strength of the vaccines or not. Dear me, I can well imagine your shock. Hope Mocha is recovering well after his surgery!

Trinitie
March 31st, 2005, 09:26 AM
I would definately ask about the charge. If you were under the impression that the cost was included, and that's what you were told, then I would raise the question to the office staff. Normally the vet will eat the (lower) cost of the visit to enable more to be done at time of sugery, such as micro-chip and other things.

goldenblaze
March 31st, 2005, 01:15 PM
I looked at Blaze's vet bill for neuter and it is the same..they break down the cost to show you what you paid for.
Neuter was 97.00
Anaestheic 45.00
Technical Assistance 20.00
Metocam, Derapen 19.00
Hospitallization 14.00
plus we had skin scraping 30.80
it all adds up and my bill for Blaze at 6 mths was 241.61

I believe your bill is normal.

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2005, 01:53 PM
My bill wasn't broken down at all, but it makes me curious as to the exact expenses.

All I got was 'spay small dog - 185, hernia repair - 30'

total 230

goldenblaze
March 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
mafiaprincess small dog 185.00 covers all I broke down...they really should explain the cost for people.

Trinitie
March 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Maybe you should call them and ask for detailed billing. All vets should provide that upon request.
Then, if you're still noticing an out of order charge, mention it to them.

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks golden. I sort of thought so... looking back at the bill detailed billing would have been nice, but I was really pissed off at how we were treated, that as soon as I get her heartworm pills in a few weeks, we move and I never have to deal with them again. I'll be twice as vigilante trying to find a new vet.

Prin
March 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM
We paid $220 for Boo at 75lbs. It was $40 for the dew claws, $25 for pre-op blood tests and the rest was the surgery. The only reason the anaesthetic would be separate is because they charge more by weight. Our vet is really good and for a 75lb dog $220 is not bad.

Karin
March 31st, 2005, 09:04 PM
There is also a very good chance the Vet was only present for the Sx too, maybe not. Most techs do the "behind closed doors" procedures anyways.
Shoot, with feline neuters all is said & done before the Doc even arrives.
I'm not saying this is true at all animal hospitals but it is common place.
And I see nothing wrong with this, most tech's, good ones..are valued by their bosses because of their experience. You do not have to be a vet to give a vax.
Always ask beforehand what will be done and the cost.

nuttynutmeg
March 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
I happen to have an excellent vet. He writes everything down shows it to you explains it well and then agree or disagree with him. He even quoted my cats neuter to me. I only had an extra $10 added on because of the severe matting he had. And as for the stuff before sugery such as bloodwork,they apparently by law have to offer it. You don't have to accept it and if you chose not to get it done you sign saying it was offered. And the office visit should be included. I have never heard of it being charged separately.

honeybee4
April 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM
So I guess it is the norm to have a bill this high for a neuter. The vet did give me a complete detailed bill with everything laid out for me. I was just wondering if everyone opted for the blood work and additional shots when they took their cat in. I guess better save then sorry. If I hadn't gotten the blood work done, there would most likely be something wrong with him. I feel better now that I have gotten it done and know everything is great with him. As least I will know what to expect the bill to be when I take Mac in to get neutered and I can start putting some money away so I dont' have to put it on my visa again. I am trying to get it paid off.

Trinitie
April 1st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Bloodwork, when an animal is being put under for an operation, is very recommended. It's possible there may be something wrong before the animal goes sleepy-sleepy and there may be a reaction to the drugs. Best to know before the animal gets the drugs.

Princesss04
April 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM
We are getting ready to have Chino fixed soon. We went in to get him checked and set up an appointment but he had one testicle that had not dropped so they are waiting 2 more months. But, I hear that if it does not drop it cost alot more than it normally would when they get fixed. Joy Joy! LOL Oh well have to get um fixed. Just hoping for some dropping action. :D

SnowDancer
April 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM
I agree with Trinitie re the blood work. The blood work test did reveal a potential problem in one of my pets that would have resulted in a problem during surgery. Actually my vet won't do surgery without the blood work and I agree with her. But since that unhappy event, I fear the results of the blood work more than then surgery itself.

tabbi
April 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM
I thought I was paying outragous prices for my animal's neuter. My 17 pound dog was $70 for his neuter plus vaccinations and an office call charge that I still do not understand. My young kitten's neuter was $53 plus shots and an office call. I cannot believe how expensive it is for someone to help our animals get better. I do appreciate all the vet does, but it kills my check book everytime I have to go in.

doberman rescue
April 2nd, 2005, 01:19 AM
Honeybee4,

Was this the first time you have been to that particular vet? I always get a price quote if going to a new vet for any reason... that way they know you are aware of what the charges are and are less likely to have any surprises. I am lucky with my vet as I know everything up-front.

What shots were given 2 weeks ago that needed to be done again?? Unless of course it was a booster.... but usually those are at 1 month.

chico2
April 2nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
I paid $135 for Vinnies neuter,everything incuded,about 2 yrs ago..she did however add $20 for a return check-up,something my old vet never did.

honeybee4
April 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
doberman- This was the second time that Mocha was to this vet. I had harley there twice as well for his shots. When I called about getting Mocha neuter, the vet assistant said that he would have to come in for his first shots,(we didn't get him until he was 3 or 4 months old and he hadn't had any shots yet) and the vet would need to examine him to make sure he could have the surgrey done. that was fine. I think the first bill was
$55. I asked her on the phone how much it was for the surgrey and she told me $78 for the surgrey. I am not sure which shots he got the first time because I didn't take him and my bf lost the papers that the vet gave him. :mad: here are the shots he got the second time before his surgrey:

Vacc: (HV+) FVR/CP
Vacc: (HV+) Rabies 1st

Does anyone know which shots he would have recieved the first time? I just dont' agree with the Health visit charge of $38. This must have been charged to me for the shots and blood work to be done, because there is also a charged of $26 for an examination before surgery which they discounted me for so I didn't end up paying this fee. I am going to ask them about it next week when I take Mac in for his shots.

Prin
April 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
This is what I posted on another thread- schedule of vaccinations (for a normal doggy) :
This is what my vet book says about vaccine schedules:
5 to 6 wks- distemper, measles, parainfluenza, bordetella (depending on situation)
8 to 12 wks- DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo), corona (always optional), bordetella, lepto and lyme (depending on area)
12 wks-- Rabies
16 Wks- DHPP, Corona, lyme and lepto (lepto you need 2 injections 2 weeks apart)
15-16 months-- Rabies, DHPP, Corona, Lepto, Bordetella, lyme

All are yearly after that except rabies vaccines are given every 3 years and distemper every 2.
Don't forget that if your dog needs ALL the shots to get them in 2 sets two weeks apart.

So from this list, the first one was DHPP, maybe measles and any others that he should have asked you if you wanted (like lepto, lyme, corona or bordetella). Did he give the shots right before the surgery or did he give them ten or more days before? I ask because the vet I worked at gave the cat vaccines right before declawings and so many cats ended up sick after. If you gove a modified live virus and then you lower the immune system (like by doing surgery) then the virus could overpower the immune system and infect the animal...

honeybee4
April 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
the shots that I listed were given to him before his surgrey or after, not sure which, but it was the same day. He was given some three weeks before his surgrey.