Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to become a PROFESSIONAL breeder

sammiec
March 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM
A lady I know from another board has questions about breeding her dog. She seems as though she is very understanding of proper breeding and such. But she asked how to become a "professional" breeder. With health testing, and genetic testing etc. I don't have an answer for her though.

She really wants to do everything properly and seems genuine. Is there courses, or people that she should be intereviewed by in order to start a professional breeding business??

BMDLuver
March 31st, 2005, 08:27 AM
Cornell University offers some online courses about genetics. Also, many breeders have their dogs tested through Cornell for genetic predisposition probability etc...

Depends on where she lives. If she is in Ontario then she could also contact Guelph University. In Quebec, St. Hyacinthe... etc..

She can also try the CKC or AKC depending on where she lives.

Depending on the breed, there are Breed Specific shows that she can go to and talk with other breeders to find out what they have done to ensure that the breed does not perpetuate problems that can be corrected through correct breeding.

mona_b
March 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Here are some questions first. :)

What breed does she have?
How old is her dog?
Has her dog been shown or have any titles?
What about the parents and grandparents and great grandparents on both sides?
Have they all been health and genetic tested?
Does she know anything about the Sire and Dam and pedigree of where her Sire came from?
Where did she get her Sire from?
Reputable breeder or BYB?
If it was a BYB,I wouldn't even think about Breeding.
What does she know about the breed she has?

Ok,those where just a few questions that come to mind.... :D

With all the reputable breeders I know,when they sell a pup that is "pet" quality,they are put on a spay/neuter contract.If you are serious and know you want to show,then they have a non-breeding contract for their "show" quality pups.The breeder will only take you off of this contract under their supervision.Which really means the health and genetic testing has been passed.They reach the breed standard for show/titles.Hope that made sense..LOL..When the "show" quality pup is registered,it will say NON-breeding on it.IF this pup is bred before they take off the non breeding,the CKC will NOT register the pups.

IF her Dam did come from a reputable breeder,then that breeder is who she should be talking to about breeding.

Was she put on any contracts when she got her dog?

Hope this helped..... :)

sammiec
March 31st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Great questions Mona!! I will pass those along!!

mona_b
March 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
:thumbs up

Can you let me know the answers?...... :)

sammiec
March 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM
I posted the questions.

All I know so far is that she has a 6 month old male mastiff. I know that they are a difficult breed and should only be bred by professionals. She seems adimate that this is something that she wants to do. I just want to make sure that she is aware of everything that is involved. And the complications that could arise with such a breed.

This is not a pets board that she has posted her questions on; I typically stay away from the "pets" section there because we all know how I can get... :rolleyes: But I couldn't pass this one! I just want to give her the information, I can't force her to use it... but she does seem like she's very genuine! :)

As shoon as she anwers I'll share them with you!

Avocado
March 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM
it is my understanding that typically a new breeder should be mentored by an experienced breeder. mona_b covered this.... a quality breeder will not sell one of their dogs to be bred unless they are involved in the breeding or unless they know that the person who is breeding their dog is qualified. otherwise puppies are sold with limited regestration, meaning that they are not to be bred... and if they are bred their offspring cannot be regestered with the AKC.

CyberKitten
March 31st, 2005, 11:19 AM
She should also in showing her dogs, find a mentor - an experienced highly regarded breeder of the same breed she has - and work from there. It is a very hands on learning from what I understand. And it would not hurt to take courses in genetics, anatomy and physiology, read as many texts and info as possible and get lots of help before she begins!

mona_b
April 1st, 2005, 07:06 AM
Also,I would find out what kind of contract she was put on.

All my boys where on a neuter contract.Some breeder give you a so called time limit.I had to have them done at 6 months.If I didn't have them neutered at all,I would have been taken to court and sued for $5000 for each dog I had.And some breeders will not hand over the registration papers till you do.I talked to a Bulldog breeder quite some time ago at one of the shows.She has her fine at $10.0000.This is stated in her contracts.

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
There is a lady I know of, who is going to breed her Staffordshire Bull terrier this fall.

If you want an idea of what should be done before a dog is bred, take a look at her site.

Tully (http://elmothesbt.homestead.com/tully.html)

db7
April 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Well the first thing she is going to have to do is study the various proven quality Mastiff lines and buy a great foundation bitch that is a either good line breed for her stud or a suitable outcross. Here are some links tohelp her sort out what strategy she wants to use.

http://www.westwindgsps.com/linebreeding.htm

and she should definitely read this. Consider it the first test.If she can read through this online book and be all excited then maybe she is ready to take on this challenge.

http://www.dogstuff.info/of_peas_and_pups.html

Actually, I would reccomend it to anyone interested in genetics. It is an outstanding study of breed genetics by one of the pioneers of German Shorthairs in North America. I am sure I am not the first to suggest that one of the reason the German Shorthair has exploded as the most popular field sport breeds is due to the natural ability and soundness of its solid genetics thanks to the author of this book.

Prin
April 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM
I guess I can offer the site I found from toronto-- for DNA testing for genetic disorders.
Canine DNA Testing (http://www.healthgene.com/canine/)