Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old dog, lost hearing all at once?

chrissy27
March 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I have had my dog for sixteen years and I noticed her itching her ears so I put some ear mite medicine in them. That was three days ago. Ever since then she does not react to any noises. I have to walk right up to her to get her attention to follow if I am trying to get her to go with me. I have never had a dog live this long. Is this normal for an old dog losing their hearing or does it sound like the ear mite medicine might have affected her ears? Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks :sad: :confused: P.S. When I put the ear mite medicine in she didn't act like it burned. As if she didn't have any mites in her ears and she has quit pawing at her ears.

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I've never before heard of a dog losing her hearing so suddenly. Hearing loss is usually a gradual process.

It could be that your dog didn't have ear mites at all, but an infection. Swelling and pus can clog the ear canal to degrees that she won't hear as well.

Could also be that something was actually lodged in her ear (even a big bug that crawled in and died- it's happened), and now that object is blocking her hearing.

To be safe, you should have your dog examined by a vet as soon as possible.

Please let us know how she is doing, and good luck!