Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Official Nostalgia Thread

Shamrock
March 30th, 2005, 06:18 PM
After reading about the drive-ins on another thread... got me thinking about all the things that are long gone - some for the good, others fondly remembed.

Depending on your age, some would be completely unknown to you

Care for a sentimental trip down memory lane? :crazy:

How about F. W. Woolworths? The famous "five and dime" or "15 cent store" as it was sometimes called here.
( now the dolllar store, I guess) ;)
:ca:

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Going to the corner store with a dollar and having a terrible time picking out enough candy to make a dollar! Then going home, trying to eat it all and having a tummy ache because there was way too much! Oh yes, and that included a 5 cent soda!

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 06:50 PM
At OUR Woolworth's store, there was a neat lunch counter where I loved the Tuna Croquettes with mashed potatoes and cream gravy. And on the counter they had these jukebox selection machines -don't know what to call them but remember one of the selections was "Yellow Bird" by Tiajuana Brass?
I was also served my first Bacon & Tomato Club Sandwich there.

The Eagle Drugstore had a soda fountain where you could buy ice-cream sodas and cherry phosphates! We always blew the paper straw wrappers off.

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Does anyone remember the "partyline".
When we moved out to the country, we had a partyline. ( we had to share the phone line with a neighbor :eek: ) it was horrible, they would always listen in to our conversations, or yell at us to get off the phone when we were on it !!

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Gheez, you guys must be older than dirt, lol <Kidding and Ducking>

My parents had a partyline - out in the country - and I do recall buying a pop (there is an interesting web site out there about why it's called pop in some places, soda in others and cola in Georgia) for 15 cents and later 25 cents. I DID have a chatty Cathy, loved Nancy Drew (obviously - still have the entire collection). I do recall buying chips for 5 cents and I mean by that potator chips, not fries which my dad with his Irish background calls chips.

I used to love the almond chocolate ice cream at HoJo's on the highway (in the US) and I did have silly putty and slinky, lol

I am sure more will come to mind!

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Do you remember Mrs. beesley? or what about Mojo candy? or wax lips, or pixi stix? What about Eatons or the Eatons centre? Do you remember wearing cougar clogs in the summer and cougar boats in the winter ?

Does anyone remember Mr. Yuck, ,or Elmo the safety elephant??

OMG this is great fun !! :D Thanks for starting this thread Shamrock :)

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Not sure abut the others but gram should have bought shares in Eatons - she had a parcel coming and one going, lol I recall pickup sticks - is that what you mean? I wore clogs as a kid. Loved them, still do, lol As for Mr. Yuck, ,or Elmo the safety elephant - sorry , never heard of them.

I still eat Boston Baked Bean candy - can get them for a hefty price at a store called the Freak Lunchbox in Halifax or my parents but them well for peanuts :p sorry, I could not resist - in Florida, lol

The 1st place I ever saw an escalator was at Woolworth's in Moncton, NB - we used to shop more in Maine truth be told but that was when (cough - showing my age here - but remember I was hardly born, haha - ) ou dollar was $1.10 to the US one.

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Going to the corner store with a dollar and having a terrible time picking out enough candy to make a dollar!

A dollar??? YOu must be a kid.:p I remember spending 1/2 hour choosing a nickle's worth of candies and having a bag full!:p I wouldn't have been able to carry a dollar's worth!

Ooops - I shouldn't reveal that I"m "older than dirt".

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I had a Terri Lee doll. Also, a Tiny Terri and a Tiny Jerry. I remember the first Barbie Dolls. I took a Brownie box camera on school field trips. I won a prize for keeping my Hula-Hoop going the longest. At the Buster Brown Shoe Store, they had an Xray (?) machine that you stuck your foot in and you could see how close your toes came to the end of the shoe. $3.50 bought a season ticket to "The Plunge". My brother and I went every day all summer and swam til the 5:00 whistle blew and it was time to go home to watch Ramar of the Jungle on TV. Hershey Bars were 5 cents. My mom sewed all my clothes. I walked to the Post Office every day to get the mail. And the scandals in a small town! The doctor's wife ran him down with the car and broke both his legs! The vet's wife shot twice through his office window!

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I suspect I am older than dirt too when it comes to candy. A friend of my gram's had a corner store and sold penny candy. A quater would buy you a pop, chips and a ton of candy with the dime you had left. Some were 5 for a penny, lol

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Oh my goodness Glasslass, that town sounds like a regular paton place !!
anyone remember hot tamalys (sp) jellybean like candy that was really hot, came in a smarties like box.

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 07:37 PM
A dollar??? YOu must be a kid.:p I remember spending 1/2 hour choosing a nickle's worth of candies and having a bag full!:p I wouldn't have been able to carry a dollar's worth!

Ooops - I shouldn't reveal that I"m "older than dirt".

You guys had money? :eek: We swiped coke bottles from the back of the grocery store, then took them inside the store to redeem them. Got 3 cents for the small bottles; 5 cents for the large. Then we went to the dime store to buy the penny candy.

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Gheez, Glass Glass, where did you live? Peyton Place? lol There were scandals in my home town too. Never heard of Terri Lee dolls but I had a Barbie, my sister had her friend whose name I forget. We also had all the stuff that goes with it and again my garm's best friend worked for mattel and we got all thse free clothes! My cousin, now a law school prof - gave me her first Barbie doll which was THE first eiditon, in the box and everything. Packrat that I am, I have it!! :)

I did have a Brownie camera and Poleroid and watched Candid Camera for that matter, lol

We could go to "the show" on Saturday for 25cents but the Beatles' It's a Hard Day's Night was 50 cents. I dogsat the neighbour's Scottish bulldog for a weekend and she brought me back a magazine about the Beatles but not old enough to understand all the screaming, I gave it to my babysitter, lol (I am sooo sorry now!)

Shamrock
March 30th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Some of these have made me laugh out literally!
This jogs the older-than-dirt memory ;) on things I'd long since forgotten about...

Ok.. how about stockings (as they called them) - with seams?
And garter belts.. not associated with anything triple X..
Now that is REALLY going back .... hehe...

Keep em coming! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Happy, hot tamales are still arounmd, made by farrer, same co that makes Boston Baked Beans, also sold at the Freak lunch Box in Halifax. I am sure yu can get them where you live, lol Or online!

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Oh my goodness Glasslass, that town sounds like a regular paton place !!
anyone remember hot tamalys (sp) jellybean like candy that was really hot, came in a smarties like box.

I can still buy Hot Tomales and Boston Baked Beans at the Rite-Aid about a mile from my house!

Yeah, Peyton Place was playing about that time too at the local theatre. You should have seen how the neighbors reacted when I met the vet at the plunge and he drove me home. He, his son, and I, all in wet bathing suits, tromped through the house to see the litter of Cocker Spaniel puppies that Lady had. I know, I know! All the neighbors on the street got cockers from that litter!

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.candywarehouse.com/hottamalesbulk.html

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Ok.. how about stockings (as they called them) - with seams?
And garter belts.. not associated with anything triple X..
Now that is REALLY going back .... hehe...

The first pair of silk stockings I wore required a garter belt and all that paraphanalia, wiever invented panty hose was better but slacks are even better, lol Anyone ever wear fishnet stockings, a paper dress - made of real paper! - or hot pants or go go boots a la Nancy Sinatra? lol (This IS fun!)

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
These Boots are Made for Stomping! My boyfriend's sister and I took the bus to Los Angeles to attend the Beatles concert there. 1965! I belonged to Job's Daughters so we wore white nylons with elastic garters. Had to roll them with the garter.

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 07:57 PM
OMG!! A Beatles actual for real concert! That's amazing!! I've seen Joan Baez and John Denver but it was in the early 80's and the biggest stars to visit my home town were Ian and Sylvia tho I still adore their music esp Four Strong Winds and naturally the Nova Scotia Farewell.

Shamrock
March 30th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Glass, that IS impressive, a Beatles concert! Would have loved to have seen them! I dont believe they ever performed here on the West Coast of Canada.

I well remember all the buzz when Elvis came to Vancouver, just as his carreer was taking off. I was about 12 and a super devoted fan, as only 12 years can be. I bought all the magazines of the day, Photoplay and others to read of my idol. Why didnt I go, I've often wondered. Probably the cost was prohibitive.
Always makes me shake my head when I see the ticket prices for concerts today... I dont know WHERE kids get all this money...

I bought my fist lipstick, my first pair of earrings, at the Woolworths store. How glamorous I felt! :queen: I hung out at their lunch counter, and played those little juke-boxes. :)

I recall the first family in our neighbourhood to get a TV...How their kids flaunted it, :p and how jealous we were.
We used to receive our milk at the door, delivered by truck each day or two. The money was left inside the bottles..on the front porch.
A trusting lot back then.. :D

I recall almost all of these items mentioned above.
Except Elmo the Safety Elephant and Mr Yuck?
I am curious :confused: Were these from an tv program, Happycats?

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry , the name was "Elmer" the safety elephant. he was kind of like smokey the bear. the police used him to teach kids about safety.
And Mr. yuck was this ugly smiley guy they used to teach us about poison.
Pixi stix were these straw like tubes filled with a sweet powdery substance,

I am going to hve to look for hot Tomales in the store :o I didn't know they still made them.

What about bottle caps (they still make them but they seem much smaller then I remember) :confused:
Is it just me or were German shepherd dogs were MUCH larger then they are now?? ( I remember them being HUGE when I was a child) LOL

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Everything was bigger when we were kids, lol

Re: We used to receive our milk at the door, delivered by truck each day or two. The money was left inside the bottles..on the front porch.
A trusting lot back then.

Same here tho it was on the back doorstep - and we even knew the milkman, lol

and re: Pixi stix were these straw like tubes filled with a sweet powdery substance We had them, just called them straws with whatever flavour it was.

Did anyone ever?
- play Green Ghost? Careers?
- watch Hogan's Heroes and actually laugh! I loved Sgt Schultz.
- own a 45 (my nephew barely knows what those are, he of the google generation) - called Simple Simon Says or Snoopy vs the Red baron? (I tell him their music sucks but do not mention the aforementioned. I once rec'd a Christmas gift from a friend - Snoopy's Xmas, lol Is it any wonder I would have a beagle!!!!
- make a skirt with less than a yard of material? Now we call them skorts but I wore them to school!!
- watch Ed Sullivan show - watch the one with the first Beatles debut? I have that in a file format if anyone wants it.
- actually protested something?

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Does anyone remember the "partyline".
When we moved out to the country, we had a partyline. ( we had to share the phone line with a neighbor :eek: ) it was horrible, they would always listen in to our conversations, or yell at us to get off the phone when we were on it !!
We still have a party line at my parents' cottage. We only keep it because we're the last ones on it. There used to be 7 people... The phone is a rental from 1959 (obviously it's a rotary)... Our old ring was one long and two short...

We had pixi stix too... My brother's friends used to snort them. It's funny because I think I grew up when what you grew up with became cool again...

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I MISS....

Stretch Armstrong

Wolfman Jack

Shields and Yarnell (the mimes...remember them?)

The Lite Brite commercial ("outta site!")

Baby Alive

Evil Knievel

"Clackers" (two glass balls on a string...got banned for exploding)

The Bobby Vinton show

The Sonny and Cher Show

The Electric Company (children's show)

Creature Feature

Don't Break the Ice (game)

Kerplunk (game)

Red Rover

Those little koala bear dolls with the paws that clamped on anything

Convoy (don't sing it...it will stick in your head forever)

Oh, how I could go on........

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I miss Jim Henson.

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Here is Jim and Kermit-- He was my Dream Dad. I think he died when I was 10 and I was devastated.

happycats
March 31st, 2005, 06:02 AM
Cactus flower, I almost forget about "clackers"!!!!! I loved them :)
and kerplunck, and red rover........oh the memories.... :rolleyes:

Do you remember british bulldog ?
Or what about the shoes, that had wheels that would pop out of the bottom!
Baby come back...
rubadub dolly..
Lola's..
Tab...(everyones mom, drank it)
moncheche.. (sp) a cute furry little monkey (we all wanted one!)
Merlin....(hand held battery operated, played 5 games)
Space invaders..and pacman (every donut shop had the game)

orange crush tasted much better back then!!
Do you remember when hostess came out with fruit flavored pototoe chips?
cherry grape and orange, they were disgusting :yuck: (I guess thats why they didn't last long)

doggy lover
March 31st, 2005, 06:33 AM
Cactus flower I remember all that stuff too. How about your first concert mine was at Maple Leaf Gardens the Bay City Rollers. Or how about pop rocks that popped in your mouth, you were told not to eat them and drink pop or you would explode or some sort of crap.

happycats
March 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Oh Doggy lover S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y......NIGHT !!!!!!

Sneaky2006
March 31st, 2005, 07:15 AM
I am not that old but I remember a lot of the things mentioned!
These things may be a little later than most.
Does anyone remember the delivery of produce to your door? Or potato chips??? Actually I remember the trucks driving around the neighborhood... I don't know if you yelled if you wanted some or what. :p
CK... as for the 45's - I had the Smurfs sing-a-long, and It's a Small World??
I remember Mr Yuck... I think my mom still has a sticker stuck to the wall where the phone was! You could never get those dang things off!

My favorites as a child are all coming back now... Strawberry Shortcake and Carebears. I loved Rainbow Bright!!!!!!!

Did anyone have Hatchy Malatchy? Please forgive the spelling...(it may have been a local show) it's been a looooooong time since I've seen that show! I won a prize from their drawing and they announced my name on TV, I was sooooo excited!

BMDLuver
March 31st, 2005, 08:10 AM
reading through all the posts have brought back so many memories... this is a great thread!

The song Yellowbird.... my mom sang it all the time... burst into tears when I read that post... she passed when I was 15.

I still buy Mojo's and I adored Boston Baked Beans! Grew up in Maine!

Had horrendous bellbottom cords, wore plaid polyester, adore the Baycity Rollers when they were hot, Sean Cassidy was sexy (lol).

I'm definitely a bit on the "old" side...

Thanks so much everyone for bringing back so many happy memories! :thumbs up

OdinAndAlan
March 31st, 2005, 08:44 AM
I miss cartoons that were not politically correct......

happycats
March 31st, 2005, 09:03 AM
Oh BMDLuver, I forgot all about the yellowbird song, my mom and I used to sing it all the time ( :sorry: to hear about your mom).
And sean cassidy was cute, and so was Donny Osmond !!! what about Leaf Garrit! and I just loved John travolta in GREASE!!

(I remember pop rocks and coke to, they used to say your head would explode when you mixed them !!)

Did anyone else have Pepsi shoes?? (blue suede with a pepsi TM on the sides) :o . I also had Kangaroo shoes (they had pockets on the side, I used to keep money in the pockets !!)

Cactus Flower
March 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
OMG!!! Back off, Leif Garrett was mine!!! LOL. I even had his ALBUMS...(and Elvis he was not) :p

The Mon Chi Chi song is now stuck in my head ("oh so soft and cuddly....").

I had the shoes with the wheels that popped out of the bottom. But I wanted that big inflatable ball with the handle on top that you sat on and bounced around on.

I also had a Sit -N- Spin!

I wore gouchos AND ponchos.

Hmm...my first concert was as a teenager, and was Black Flag. Sorry, not too nostalgic I'm sure.

Thanks for reminding me about Merlin! I loved Merlin!!

Ok, so here's me exacting revenge for sticking the Mon Chi Chi song in my head: "OOOH THAT'S THE WAY UH HUH UH HUH I LIKE IT UH HUH UH HUH..."

LOL. This is great fun!

raingirl
March 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry..I'm a child of the 80's.

All I can say is:

My Little Pony
Transformers (more that meets the eye) (we used to sing that jumping off swings!)
Rainbow Brite
Glo Freinds
Ewoks!!
GI Joe
Hilarious House of Frightenstein (I loved Vincent Price)
Astro Boy!
Dr. Who (was always on after Polka Dot Door and Today's Special)
35 cent pop at Beckers, drinking the pop with shoe string licorice
Taking clothes pins and playing cards, and attaching the cards to your bike so when you rode, it sounded like you had an engine
Rollerskates
Cabbage patch kids (I still have my 4 of them!!) and kmart that sold matching PJs for yourself, and your cabbage patch kid!!
Barbie! (I had my sis's barbies from the 60's and my own from the 80's)
GEM
Dr. Pepper gum that had juice inside that would squirt when you bit it
Charmkins
Poochie
Strawberry Shortcake
Cookies and Cream Twix (they only had it for a short time, and I keep sending emails to tell them to bring it back!!)
Scooby Doo

I had thought of a bunch today but I forgot some.

We had a woolworths as well. It had a "Movator". It's now a walmart. I think all the Woolworths turned into Walmarts.

Oh crud...I had one...but I can't remember what it's called. It was a ball that was shaped like a figure 8, and had a disc around the centre that you stood on a jumped with it...I still have it!

I wish I remembered all those jump rope songs you would sing when jumping rope, or those hand games... One I always liked was "My father was a garbage man and this is what he said to me..." and you had to do all this hand stuff...hard to explain.

Jump rope: "All in together girls" and "lady bug, lady bug" or "teddy bear, teddy bear"

Oh..and K-Way jackets. The ones that you could fold into the pouch in the front, and there was a belt attached so you could wear it around?

Sneaky2006
March 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM
RainGirl... those are my things too! All of them!
And those things you can't remember the name... pogo ball! I had one ;)
I forgot about Glow Friends! And Lotsa Legs!

raingirl
March 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM
YES! POGO BALL!

mine is silver with a turqoise rim that had pink checkers.

Jackie467
March 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM
I grew up in the mid 80's and the 90's so what I remember wasn't all that long ago, though it seems like it to me. I had a lot of older toys because they were bought for a child my parents lost in the late 70's, still born. here are some things I remember.

Pixi sticks (still make them, you can get them at walmart)
teenage muntant nija turtles (have a new version now but not as good)
strawberry shortcake
lite bright
care bears
fraggle rock
easy bake oven
Alf (he creeped me out, still does)
pogs
wollworths
motgomery wards
the tennis shoes that had little lights in the bottom that blinked when you walked (I remember when the first came out and I had to have a pair but we didn't have enough money, this is when they cost $15 bucks lol)
my little pony
water baby
david the nome
the elephant show
clarissa explains it all
rocko's modern life
ren and stimpy (absolutly hated this show)
ahhh real monsters
totally hair barbie and totally hair ken
wishbone
ghost writer
right now that is all I can think of. does anyone else remember these?

Sneaky2006
March 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM
I can't remember the color of mine... but I played with it all the time! That and the Skip-it I think it's called (the thing that you put around your ankle and it spun around and you'd hop over it)... those were awesome!

Do you know those stuffed animals (mine was purple and orange, a bear I think?) with big plastic noses that had beads/balls in the nose? And you would squeeze their stomach and the beads would fly all around in the nose... I don't recall the name.

Ahhh... Clarissa! I loved her and also You Can't Do That On Television... another stupid Nickelodeon show.

Luvmypit
March 31st, 2005, 03:36 PM
How about those Mad magazines.

I rememeber all those raingirl and Jackie.
GARBAGE PAIL KIDS!! I loved them.
Jelly sandals
Danger Bay (canadian I think only)
Doc Martins
She-ra and heman (doesnt look like I spelled it right)
Smurfs

Luvmypit
March 31st, 2005, 03:37 PM
oh oh what were those colourful stuffed animals that rolled in to a pouch? I cant remeber.

This is a great thread!

Jackie467
March 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
I think they were called popples, but i'm not sure. I loved those, I had an orange one.

Luvmypit
March 31st, 2005, 03:41 PM
How about the pony that would come on the streets to take pictures with?

My mom has one when she was young and I have one also. Also my sister too.

Luvmypit
March 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Your right Jackie it was definately popples.

I think I had a purple

Sorry Im taking over the thread. Ill stop. I swear..... :p

Sneaky2006
March 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM
I just thought of more! This is so fun!
How about Shrinky Dinks?
Anyone remember Jem and the Holigrams? (I think)
Rubik's Cube
Wuzzles
Wrinkles
Slap bracelets
Viewmaster
Bed Bugs!
Colorforms... I loved these, I wish I still had some :( I had smurf ones.

Sneaky2006
March 31st, 2005, 03:55 PM
Ok one last thing and then I'm done, I swear!
Freakie Freezies!!!! If those weren't the coolest things, I don't know what was!

Jackie467
March 31st, 2005, 03:57 PM
lol I used to love slap bracletes. I had a ton but my favorite was always my lepord print one.
I used to play with paper dolls too, haven't seen any lately.
remember when you used to actully get a prize in your cereal? now you have to send in for everything.
remember hamburgerler and all the other ronald mcdonald characters? I haven't seen a ronald mcdonald commerical in forever.
Polly pocket, the original. I used to have three. my fav one was a vet that had two little kitties, a doggy and polly.

chico2
March 31st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Oh well girls,my memory-lane is loooong :D
Being a teenager in late 50's,HUGE Elvis fan....still have 78's never mind 45's,I wore hot-pants and boots,later I was a fullblown hippie,hair down to my waist...protesting the Vietnam war.Growing up in Sweden I loved everything American,bobby-socks,dresses with starched crinolines(starched with flour and water!)just about slept with my american runners(shoes that is!)
My first real boyfriend(5 yrs older than me,my mom nearly died!) drove a Ford Fairlane and we used to go cruising in Stockholm.Went hitchiking through Europe at 15....
The world seemed a safer place in those days,we did not drink,or use drugs,other than the odd shared little bit of pot..
The first TV in the neighborhood,a black and white small thing my neighbors had.They invited everyone to come and watch,my favourite was the test-screen :D Then there was 2 hours of programming,that's it!
I could go on and on..but I won't,promise :crazy:

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Great thread, but I am DEFINATELY older than dirt. Yup, a nickel's worth of candy was a big deal, I still have my 78 records. They are part of my retirement fund, along with Alan (Ken's friend). I have the golf bag with the little clubs and shoes.

The Bobbsy Twin books, "Hey Mabel, Black Label", when pop was sold in those big chests and you had to move the bottle along the rack to the lever and they were filled with water.

I remember when seat belts first became an "option" in cars. Mom always wore a hat and gloves going downtown shopping. Shopping centres before they were malls. You had to walk outside from store to store, no central enclosures.

Remember those big fat red pencils that we learned to print with.

I remember the first KFC opening up, what a big deal, food to take home with you.

The A & W carhops, I LOVED them.

Remember learning the pledge of alligence - in Canada. I pledge allegence to the flag, to God, the Queen and my country. Remember singing God Save the Queen, before O Canada was written.

Sugar Mountain has all the old candy still, there is one in Ottawa.

Remember The Shadow, as a radio program. I miss Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and Trigger.

Don Messer's Jubilee. I remember when we replaced our TV with the round screen for the super deluxe combo, TV, radio and record player. It was a Marconi (wth all the tubes you had to let warm up first).

I think the earth was still a bit warm then, it had not quite cooled. LOL

glasslass
March 31st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Raingirl, if you still have your Cabbage Patch dolls, the bonnets are perfect to dress a kitty. A friend's daughter put one on her cat and it made the darlingest little moppet and didn't seem to mind.

Anyone remember pop-beads. Skate keys?

We had milk delivery too. Mom always got 2 quarts of chocolate every Friday-one for my brother, one for me. My brother would drink some and then mark the carton with the level so I couldn't sneak any. I would anyway and then add a little water to bring the level back up.

Mary Poppins! That came out my senior year and I wasn't too old to go see it, using my little brother as an excuse! Goldfinger came out that same year.

Shamrock
March 31st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Oh Goldengirl. yes.. the Marconi! And the Shadow.omg.. forgot about both!
We used to listen to that program every week.. fascinating stuff. ;)

I am getting a such a smile out of these!

Did anyone wear..
bobby sox with saddle shoes?
bobby pins for kiss curls
poodle skirts?
Davey Crockett Hats were big for boys.

On tv, Our Pet Juliette, the Ed Sullivan show, and for the kids.. Howdy Doody.
Bucky the Beaver touted Ipana toothpaste as.."dandy for your teeeeth.
Cigarettes were adverstised prominently (!) often by actors dressed as drs.. :mad:
Homes had brand new Frigidaires.. an Edsel in their carport.:)

melanie
March 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM
bmd, bay city rollers, oh no, i remember my mum dancing around the kitchen in a teeny tiny mini to them, i grew up on a steady diet of extreme sci fi and star wars(who remembers dune or Dr Who, bloody scary for little girls) adam and the ants, sting and the police, oh and 'one night at water loo napoleon did surrender" of course my daddy lovved abba.

but as sneaky and rain girl listed stuff that i had as a kid, i had a pogo ball and loved the stupid thing, they have just come back over here.
strawberry short ckae, care bears, cabbage patch, ahhh to be a girl again i had the best toys. but my parents were star wars freaks, in the late 70's we had star wars sheets, bean bags, the toys, princess leah and luc dressup costumes and we all had light sabre. and i still have one of the original sheets from my childhood, im saving it for a special treasure (the value goes up ridiculously with each new release, its just an old sheet for goodnesssake). and i am hanging for the new realease (said to be the last ever)

as an aussie ref- any aussies here remember aunty jack who screamed 'DO IT OR I'LL BREAK YOUR FRIGGIN ARMS'. and prisioner, a country practice oh it just goes on and on.

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 06:09 PM
I remember Topo Gigio, the little mouse puppet on Ed Sullivan, my sister had a poodle skirt, (she is 15 years older than me), my copy had two pockets on it, with frogs on the pockets. One said Come on baby and the other said Let's Twist.

Chubby Checker, Bobby Sherman and Here Come the Brides, the Lone Ranger, TV antennas, remember having to turn the big dial on the box on top of the TV to turn the antenna for better reception, when the NHL only had 6 teams and the games came on Saturday nights half way thru the first period. Remember when colour TV first came out and the hockey players started wearing black smudges under their eyes for the glare of the colour TV lights. Remember stopping an NHL hockey game to look for someone's contact lens. Roller Derby, the original one, with Skinny Minny. What was the pink coloured popcorn with the black elephant on the box?

For those who remembered Care Bears, my cousins were some of the artists who drew those cartoons. Yup, drew them by hand, no computer generation. I remember the first computers, needed an entire room, air conditioned like a freezer to house them, key punch cards to program them. When pocket calculators cost over $100, Kresseges (spell) stores, the scales you put a penny in for your weight. Moses parting the Red Sea (ok I threw that one in to make sure you were paying attention). When mini vans were Dinky Toys, remember the amphibious cars !!!

glasslass
March 31st, 2005, 06:33 PM
American Flyer trains - only now we collect them!
Candy and nuts were weighed on a scale and then packed in a little white bag.
You received homemade treats in your trick-or-treat bag.
Tutti-Fruti and Dentyne were the alternate choices if you didn't want mint chewing gum, except of course, bubble-gum.
Ice-cream bon-bons
5-cent A&W RootBeer in frosted glass mugs
Rumba Kites
Homemade rubber-band guns
Zorro
Route 66
Mel's Drive-in (remember American Graffitti? That film was about Modesto!)
Cherry Cokes
Most complicated bike was a 3-speed

CyberKitten
March 31st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Oh wow!! I seem to transcend generations or maybe different stuff is still available. Re: Skate keys? Never had one but I LOVED the song by Melanie "You've got a brand new pair of roller skates and I've got a brand new key". I have most of her records - yes - records tho I have dled some others she did later.

I was too young to be a hippie but I'd loved to have been one, lol Had the granny glasses and long dresses that were all the fad for awhile. I did actually protest stuff tho - became an enviornmentalist. Never got arrested tho, darn, lol

Someone said easy bake oven for the 80's. I had one as a kid in the 60's so i think it's like Barbie - like the cockroaches, they will survive nuclear war.

Anyone have a small transister radio - way before sony walkman's or cd players or MP3 players. I got one for Xmas one yr and it was a much treasured gift since I was maybe 6. Later yrs, I'd place it under my pillow and listen to WKBW Buffalo and WRKO in Albany, NY given that our local radio pretty much sucked. Some friends and I in junior high did start a fan club for one of the dj's tho and went to meet him. He musta thought we were nuts - little 12 year old girls. Ironically, each one of us is in medicine in some way. (Two MD's and two PhD's - not bad for a small town)

AND my parents had 78's. I still recall them listening to Down by the Station by the Four Preps (That would make some typo) and Delaware by what's his name -Dean Martin. I dled both songs just for nostalgic reasons, lol (For the same reason I dled all the Snoopy ones, haha)

BMDLuver
March 31st, 2005, 07:17 PM
I totally forgot about listening to the Shadow... "Who knows whose evil lurks in the heart of mankind... dum de dum.... the Shadow knows!.

And Bob Reids Christmas show on Christmas eve on CJAD!

This is such an awesome trip down memory lane.

Yes, The Bobsy twins Rocked!

And that hoop around your leg thingy with the bell on the end, forgot what someone called it, I adored mine!

My First Bike with the Banana seat, hot pink with streamers! I was one lucky kid! :thumbs up

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 07:38 PM
I still have my transitor radio.

I also have my 110 camera, but they stopped making film for it Jan 2005. I think I have the last two cartridges in all of Montreal in my freezer.

My mom had this stupid sailor had for me as a kid, are they still around ??? The milkman, the breadman, White Rose gas stations, pea shooters, burning the leaves in the fall (in the city)

**sigh** life was simpler then, wasn't it.

Cactus Flower
March 31st, 2005, 10:02 PM
You can still listen to those old time radio shows online. Live365.com is a good site for that, but there are many. BrandoClassicRadio.com. MediaBay.com and even a search for "old time radio" on any media player will give you a few.

Does anyone remember the late night t.v show "PRISONER CELL BLOCK H" ?

Or did I imagine that all....and the opening song..."he used to bring me roses....I wish he would again....but that was on the outside....and things were different then...."

My favorite thing when I was REALLY little was those two little upside down buckets with the strings on them....you step on the buckets and hold the string so you can walk, using the buckets as shoes.....ack, I'm not describing it well- hope someone knows what I'm talking about!

Prin
March 31st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Here's my list from the 80's (and maybe early 90's)

Converse shoes
Tuff Skins Jeans
Benjy
He-man (Princess Shiera was first on his show)
Voltron (super heros who flew in tiger shaped space ships and when they were all connected together made a monster robot)
Uncle Buck
Glo-worms (I had Granny Bug)
Steinberg's
Roald Dahl
Dirty Dancing
The Cosby Show
Magnum P.I.
Family Ties
Trolls
Teddy Ruxbin
Wrinkles!! (I had so many wrinkles) and what was that dog doll that had puppies that you kept in her belly until you decided it was time for her to give birth?-- "Puppy Surprise! How many puppies are there inside- there could be three or four or five." I remember now... The people who got three got ripped off... :)

"Edge" and "Monster" snowboards made of plastic
Remember those "laser disks" that were like records and we were told they were the next thing to replace VHS? Only rich people had them and they went out in a shorter time than 8-track...

That's all I've got.

Jackie467
April 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM
I loved puppy and kitty surprise. I still have both somewhere up in the attic packed away. I got ripped off on both. only 3 :sad: .

melanie
April 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM
" he used to bring me roses, but things were different then, that was on the outside, on the outside looking in" da da da da da da da dada (da represents things i cna t remember), when the rain falls downnnnn, and that was on the outside, the outside looking in."

oh my god CACTUS you have seen the show called " Prisioner" and they were in cell block H (not in the title), i loved prisoner. it has made me thrilled to see my overseas friends have had the opertinity to see what all time aussie good drama is, just brilliant stuff.. it was one of australias most famous dramas ever, we still get re runs, i miss characters like bea and vinegar tits (she was the guard) and bea beating up ppl in the laundry :p did you ever see the great escape episode, and that old lady died trying to escape? that was a very memorable episode. as a tiny girl i watched prisioner, as a teen, as an adult it has been part of my life, i have always loved aussie drama (i mentioned prisioner above). prisioner was a platform for alot of young female aussie actors, and testament to the show that they are still on tv today. oh you make me reminis.

i have tried to get the tapes of the shows, but you cant, the tv station still makes heaps of money off it still so hopefully by the time i die i will get em.

oh i forgot to mention my stilts, i lived on those things my daddy buuilt them for me, the high ones but the wood pole ran up the side and you held the top of them, i lived on those dam things. :D :D

Cactus Flower
April 1st, 2005, 07:55 PM
Leave it to you, Mel ! Ah, you always come through for me. (Don't think I forgot you were the only person a year ago to know who the Birthday Party was, either!!!) Seems you and I have very similar tastes! Or maybe we're both just that weird? LOL.

THANK YOU for the recognition/clarification. I know I was quite young when that was on, but I loved that show. I'm so jealous that you still get to watch it!

And the stilt shoes! Now I know I didn't imagine it all.

You are my magic 8 ball, Ms. Melanie! :D

maddoxies
April 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Remember when pay phones were a dime????
Leaded gasoline ???

melanie
April 4th, 2005, 02:12 AM
cactus, the magic walking 8 ball also bets you love the cure, the cult and all those lovely bands too, im sure we did the whole ramones thing once too,great minds think alike.

leaded gasoline, organophosphates, medicine with coke in them (well perhaps) well some things are best left in the past :D and im sure the environment is very very greatful :D

glasslass
April 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Speaking of environment, Pampers are a huge problem! As are those plastic things that keep a 6-pack together. They solved the pull-top problem though. Now, what about the plastic water bottles? Wish I'd invented the plastic yard chair. They're everywhere!

maddoxies
April 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Who remembers Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room? Razzle Dazzle? What was the turtle's name on Razzle Dazzle???? And Happy the Clown !!!

happycats
April 4th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Oh yes Golden girl, I remember Captain kangaroo, and romper room (not razzle dazzle) What about "rocket ship 7" watched it every morning before school !!
Do you remember that horrible hercules cartoon, where that silly goat man was always yelling in an irratating high pitched squeel "hey herc" "hey herc"
I hated that one :yuck: (my brothers watched it) !

Shamrock
April 4th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I remember all of those, Goldengirl... Razzle Dazzle too!
Happycats.. Hercules, lol! That WAS a really annoying voice the character had..

Jawbreakers.. 3 for a penny.
Candy cigarettes.(!)
A type of a small pop-bottle, but made of wax. You bit it open to release a sweet liquid - food dye and sugar no doubt:0

Jacks.. a fun game for little girls.Hopscotch.. is this still played?
A Kaleidescope..
Small camera type thing that you inserted cards into for various pictures. forget the name.

Lots and lots of comic books..
Dagwood Bumstead and Blondie, Dick Tracy, Little Orhpan Annie, Tarzan, Superman, Jughead, Veronica and Archie
Little Lulu.. my personal favourite..

My sister swears she had a Barbara Ann Scott doll, I dont remember it.
(Too bad she didnt have it today.. quite a collectible).
I wonder how many people even know who this is today?

Speaking of collectibles, isnt it a shame that we didnt think to keep these?
Cyberkitten.. that original Barbie, still in the box.. wow! :thumbs up

maddoxies
April 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Viewmaster. Small camera thing you inserted the wheels with slides. Still have mine at my mom's house.

Oh yes, "Commander Tom" and Robbie the Robot. The "original" Lost In Space, My Favourite Martian, The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke. the Thunderbirds, we never minded that you could see the strings on the puppets. The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette and Bobby and all the gang. I have a Betty Boob cartoon on 8mm film still.

The first self-servce gas station, people thought that would never last, WHO would want to pump their own gas ????

Chargex cards, the pre-cursour of Visa. Life BEFORE credit cards, when there was only Simpsons and Eatons and maybe gasoline cards.

Cactus Flower
April 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
cactus, the magic walking 8 ball also bets you love the cure, the cult and all those lovely bands too, im sure we did the whole ramones thing once too,great minds think alike.
Cult, yes! Ramones, yes! Exploited and Buzzcocks and Black Flag and Residents and ........well, you get the idea.
But alas, no Cure for me.

Remember Land of the Lost, and those horrible "Sleestacks"?
I actually made a sleestack KITE in grade three, entered it into a kite contest at Jersey public school (Keswick).
Didn't win.

Shamrock
April 6th, 2005, 08:22 PM
How about defunct jobs? :crazy:

-The elevator operator.

-The telephone operator - to take your telephone number and put you through.
(back in the days of the rotary dial)

-The door to door salesman.These may still be around, but here are pretty much a thing of the past. People simply dont open their doors to strangers.

-A real live person answering the phones of any large business instead of a pre-recorded menu.

The ice cream truck driver.

happycats
April 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Oh Shamrock, we still have the ice cream truck come here every night in the summer, I hear the music, and I get more excited then my son :crazy: .
We both start yelling "ICE CREAM TRUCK"!! I love it, beacause it reminds me of my childhood.
Did anyone else have an inch worm?
I also had this sheepdog on wheels, (dad would not let us have a real dog at the time) it was about the size of a beagle, I took it everywhere, it started to get smelly and its fur started to get matted :eek: , but I still had to take it everywhere, that was my dog !!
- HR puff and stuff, remember that show?
-Big wheels
-remember when KFC had greesian (sp) bread, and those piggy banks?
-and macdonalds had Shamrock shakes on st patricks day

Cactus Flower
April 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
OMG, H.R PuffNStuff!!!!!! That....that talking flute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by: Sigmund the Seamonster!

And then David and Goliath.

Then the new adventures of Pinnochio!

(See what you've started? :D )

happycats
April 7th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Oh thank you Cactus Flower. I was trying so hard to remember that one
"Sigmond and the seamonster" !!!!!! Even my hubby couldn't remember.
Thanks!
Didn't they have that animated version of "the wizard of OZ", on at the same time as the new adventure of Pinnochio?

The Brady bunch !!

maddoxies
April 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
omg, H R Puffn Stuff, where Jan Michael Vincent got his show biz start (I used to drool over him)

When I was a toddler, my mom had to tape down the plunger on the telephone, because I would pick up the receiver and talk to the operator. You did not even have to dial 0. When I started kindergarden, we had to learn our address and phone number. Our phone number was only 5 digits long. I got SO messed up in Grade 1 when I had to re-learn my phone number with 7 digits.

Remember test patterns on TV??? and the test of the emergency broadcast system?

happycats
April 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Do you remember that video game....... uh I think it was called PONG
a 2 white lines(paddle) and a white circle(ball). (you moved the line up and down to hit the circle, to bounce it back).
It actually burned an image on the TV, Dad was not pleased :evil:

Cactus Flower
April 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
YES! There was a Wizard of Oz series. And I do remember PONG....sure made space invaders look good when it came along!

Does anyone remember a candy called Lik-M-Aid? You had this candy stick that you'd dip into two different flavours of powder and lick off the stick.

I also had Make-Up Barbie (I think it was Barbie...), basically a mannequin head that you put fake makeup on. Can't believe that was a moneymaker, looking back on it.

Howzabout the Gong Show, with the Unknown Comic and Gene Gene the dancing machine?

And my golly, let's not forget Hee Haw! "Where oh where are you tonight, why did you leave me here all alooooone......" :D

CyberKitten
April 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
We had Pong - played it on an old b/w tv, lol And a Viewmaster - you could buy all the various slides to look at it. btw, anyone who loves tv nostalgia, visit http://www.jumptheshark.com

Shamrock
April 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Commodore 64
Q-Bert.. Loved that game!

Two simple but great Canadian kids shows - Mr Dressup with Casey and Finnigan and the gang. and The Friendly Giant "Look up... wayy up.".

Remember saying the Lord's Prayer in school?
How about the little rounded tin lunch-boxes?
Crinolines for those big skirts? scratchy and soooo uncomfortable.

CyberKitten
April 7th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I created my 1st program on a Vic 20, never mind a Commodore 64, lol (In Q Basic of all things. ) The graphics sucked big time but then, so did those on Pong, lol

Did any of you have Simon? (You can now dl Simon as a game - I play it ever so oftento test my memory, lol) Or those hand held baseball games - they were monster size by comparison to today's e games.

And I loved Mr. Dressup, the Friendly Giant (And I"LL call Rusty!). I am old enough to recall Chez Helene and Razzle Dazzle (Suzanne Somers' hubby's big debut, lol - are they still married?)I liked Howard the Turtle better tho.

And did your grandparents watch Singalog Jubilee and Don Messer?