Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another German Shepherd Question

SarahLynn123
March 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I cant seem to get this dog off my mind! (the 8 year old X) How much exercise would she require? We walk everynight and run off leash saturdays and sundays and any other days off I have. Would that be enough? Also I have been reading the other posts about 2 fixed female dogs living together and how its not a good idea. Should I try to forget about it, or if we decide to adopt her meet somewhere and see how it goes? Belle (the dog I have now, had for 4 months) is a 7 year old cockerspaniel x. If you want to check out Shadow she is on this site: www.cochranehumane.ca shes a doll! Basically Im just trying to get as much info so bf and I can make an informed decision. We are waivering back and forth as to whether we should get another dog or not. He mentioned it last time!!!!!!!
Thanks
Sarah

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 06:00 PM
take your dog with you and they can meet to see if the initial interaction is good. Some of these locations have play yards so they can be offleash to introduce. Just a thought. She seems to be on your mind so maybe this is a good way to decide one way or the other?

mesaana
March 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I agree. Give it a try, see how they react together. I looked at her, she's very pretty.

Lyne

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I just looked at her too (while trying to ignore all the other poor dumped babies) What a sweet face she has!

An 8 year old has little chance of adoption, so you might be saving her life by adopting her. Could you offer to foster her and see how it goes with your dog?

IF both are reasonably mellow and you introduce them properly, it might work out if you take a few precautions like not feeding or giving them toys together.

Your exercise schedule sounds just fine!

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 10:02 PM
THe difference in size is also a factor. When they are the same size, I believe they are more likely to battle to the death. It will be much easier to establish the heirarchy with these two than the ones in the other thread.

Trinitie
March 31st, 2005, 08:56 AM
Cockers are quite a dominant type of dog, so you'd have to continue showing your first dog SHE is your number one and the new comer is number two.

I think it'll be fine as you are the best judge for your current companion.

Shadow sure is a beauty. Hard to imagine why someone would dump her like that.

Lea
March 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Oh Sarahlynn she is BEAUTIFUL!!! Why did you have to show us that pic! She knows commands, and is friendly. Just look at that face! If you don't go get her, I will!!!! I wonder how long it would take me to drive there from Birmingham......... : )

Seriously though, go with your gut. They are wonderful dogs. I have a good feeling about this one. Good luck!

SarahLynn123
March 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all your reply's, I needed them mostly to convince the bf that this would be a good decision! Belle is a momma's girl and can get jelous at times. As long as shes close to me she will allow other dogs around. Cant be left out! If we are very careful about keeping her #1 then I dont think she will have a problem. I brought up the fostering idea and he seemed to like it, so I will bring it up again. He wanted a smaller dog so Belle could play with, I think there would be more fights! (Thanks Prin for the advice on that.) The size of shadow I think the bf finds a little intimidating, hes worried about his precious girl at home getting hurt or being mad. plus Belle is his first pet in his whole life! (I cant even imagine)
Thanks for your advice, and I will keep you all updated
Sarah