Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly Pee Carpet

SarahLynn123
March 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Belle is now fully house trained at home, so now I need to clean the carpet. She always peed in the same area on the carpet upstairs. When It wasn't me who cleaned up after she had an accident I dont think it was done as thoroughly as it could/should have been. Any ideas how to get the smell out? I thought I had it but now its back :mad:
Thanks
Sarah

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I have always used pure white vinegar at full strength, I even use it in the carpet cleaner.
I have tried almost everything on the market (having had 6 cats and fostering others) I have found most to be costly and ineffective, and have always come back to white vinegar !!
Hope it helps :)

SarahLynn123
March 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM
It does help, thanks! but how do I go about doing it? Its about a 4x4 ft area, do I soak the carpet in vinegar then soak it up with a towel, or mix it with water then pour it over, then soak it up?
Thanks!

happycats
March 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I put it in my carpet cleaner, for the heavy duty stuff or use a spray bottle filled with straight vinegar, soak the area, then use towels (or carpet cleaner or shop vac) to suck it up.

SarahLynn123
March 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM
thanks I'll try that

Gazoo
March 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Belle is now fully house trained at home, so now I need to clean the carpet. She always peed in the same area on the carpet upstairs. When It wasn't me who cleaned up after she had an accident I dont think it was done as thoroughly as it could/should have been. Any ideas how to get the smell out? I thought I had it but now its back :mad:
Thanks
Sarah

You need to use an enzymatic/biotic cleaner that will kill any bacteria/enzmes that are left in the carpet.

mona_b
March 31st, 2005, 08:57 AM
Natures Miracle is also great... :thumbs up

vivilee
April 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
I tested the enzymatic cleaners with straight pickling vinegar (stronger than regular vinegar) on carpet and I found that vinegar got the odor out BETTER than the enzymatic cleaners like PetZyme and Nature's Miracle.

Try it out for yourself, half of the carpet douse in enzyme cleaner and the other half try pickling vinegar. Leave to dry and smell for yourself.

happycats
April 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Thank you Vivilee, I didn't know pickeling vinegar was stronger, I'm going to have to try it. ( I have always used white vinegar, and I always thought that worked great)