Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She's starting to ask to go out!

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yesterday while I was in the bedroom changing the baby, I heard Sophie in the living room barking. I tried to hurry up and get the baby's diaper on because I couldn't leave him on the bed. When I got into the living room I smelled poop. She had already pooped in the dining room. :( Later yesterday I was at the dining room table and she sat down right in front of me and started barking at me. I didn't know what she wanted, and when I didn't get up she went under the table and started peeing. I picked her up and took her outside to finish the job. This morning I had just gotten the baby to sleep and she started jumping around in front of me and barking. Before I could get the baby to bed and get back to her she pooped. Grrrr. I'm glad that she is learning to ask, but I will be even more glad when she can hold it a little longer. It seems like she always does it when I'm busy and can't get her out immediately. I take her out every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs during the day and all of these times that she has barked to go out were less than an hour after I'd taken her out.

Sadie's Mom
March 30th, 2005, 01:57 PM
How exciting Dahlia, sounds like Sophie is starting to get it! As soon as she asks to go out you really need to try to get on it and get her outside (but I can't even imagine how you'll swing that with a baby!) Good luck with it, you're well on your way to no more accidents! :thumbs up

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I know, I feel bad when I don't get to her on time. She's really trying. It was kinda nice when the baby couldn't do anything, because I didn't have to worry about him rolling off the bed or anything. Now I have to get him in a safe spot before I can take Sophie out. Sometimes I just grab her and take the baby out too, but the weather doesn't always permit that without putting on coats, etc... which would take too long.

Copper'sMom
March 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Isn't that a wonderful feeling, knowing that your dog can let you know when she has to go out? I know when my boy started doing that, I was thrilled and so proud :D . He's such a smart boy! He would go sit at the back door when he wanted out. Sophie will improve on holding it in a little longer, I'm sure! Keep up the great work! :thumbs up

Gazoo
March 30th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the dog has to train you a little better.. :p

nymph
March 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM
What a good girl your Sophie! When Diego first started to sit in front of the patio door and wiggle his little tail when he needed to go out, we didn't catch on. But it only took us a couple of accidents to learn this: the boy needed to GO. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lol9.gif

It only gets better from here. Again what a good girl!

Sadie's Mom
March 31st, 2005, 11:38 PM
At least summer is on the way and you'll be able to take the baby with you!

Prin
April 1st, 2005, 12:07 AM
My doggies are 4 and nearly 4 and neither of them tells us a thing. They never have accidents, they just wait. and wait. and wait. I mean we bring them out pretty often but a couple of times I thought my man brought them out before leaving for work (while I was sleeping :p ) and he didn't and I only brought them out "again" at 2 in the afternoon only to find the biggest loads ever. They never said a word. There is no difference in my doggies whether they just went out or they've just come in.

It's great that your doggy has learned to express herself... :party:

Dahlia
April 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Dh had the nerve to tell me last night that his friend's boxer (6 wks old) is completely house trained. He said she never has accidents in the house and she always goes to the door when she needs to go out because his friend smacked her on the nose with a newspaper the few times she did go in the house. So, therefore I am too easy on Sophie because she is not totally house trained at 12 wks old. First of all I do not believe that the 6 wk old puppy is house trained and I don't think smacking her with a paper is the way to do it. What I do think is that one of these days he is going to find her hiding spot where she goes to do her business when no one's looking. For a couple of days right after we got Sophie I thought she wasn't having accidents, but then I followed her behind the couch one day and found her "stash". What do you all think?

nymph
April 1st, 2005, 09:13 AM
You are doing the right thing here, just need to continue with the patience and consistency. They like to surprise you just when you thought they learned something, those devilish bundles of joy! :evil:

I thought my Diego was house-trained at week 7, because we were taking him out so frequent and were watching him constantly like a hawk, he rarely had any chance to make an accident. During week 9 and 10, he showed us how wrong we were, lol.

It takes time, and I don't think smacking the dog on the head is beneficial to the dog. I mean you want to house-train your dog for sure, but more importantly, you want your dog to be a confident, well socialized and well-rounded doggy citizen, so I don't believe violence (even in its mildest form) is going to help in anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Prin
April 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
I think that smacking is a great idea if you never want your dog to pee ever again. Our dog was beaten for diarrhea, beaten for throwing up, beaten for peeing. Now when he has diarrhea or throws up (which used to be very often because of his anxiety attacks) he cowers and hides (and I find it later behind the couch). Sometimes if he thinks he'll get in trouble, he'll go on a "pee strike" and he won't pee for a couple of days. Ditto for number 2. I had to train him to "go" on command for a cookie just so he would know that it was ok. Now he's doing better but a neighbor came out screaming just as he was about to pee a couple of months ago and he won't pee in our neighborhood anymore...

No a 6 week old doggy is not supposed to be house trained. Your hubby's friend is probably just bragging about nothing.

Just keep on doing what you're doing and all should go well. :thumbs up

Dahlia
April 1st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I get aggravated at dh sometimes because he has no idea what he's talking about but he tries to tell ME what I should be doing. I told him that I seriously doubt that puppy is housetrained and to leave me alone, unless he wants to do the house training with Sophie. That's when he said, "Well, I'm just saying... You're too easy on her."

Now, I wasn't even considering hitting her for pooping, I just wanted to share with you the ridiculous crock of bull I was fed yesterday. ;)

Princesss04
April 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
That is alot of peoples answer to working with a dog. Hit him a few times and than they will be afarid and listen. I knew someone that would hit their dog with a plastic bat when it would do something wrong. :mad:

Dahlia
April 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM
I've asked him if he thinks I should start spanking the baby every time he has a dirty diaper, because it's the same thing. He doesn't answer me. :rolleyes:

Princesss04
April 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
That is what we would say to my uncle and he would say she is a human that is a dog. I get so tired of hearing people say that. :mad: I am so proud of you for hanging in there it will get so much easier. :D PROMISE! :D

Prin
April 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM
I believe that dogs are way less sensitive than babies, but not to hitting. When you look at dogs in nature, they grab, push and rarely bite. That's what I do to my dogs (I don't bite though) but I will grab them (by the neck fur) when they are misbehaving but I don't lift them up to throw them around. In this sense, you wouldn't treat a human child this way but that is why we never have neck fur...

Dahlia
April 1st, 2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I don't hit (or bite) Sophie, but I do push her back or grab her to get her out of things. I am trying to teach her to leave the baby's butt alone when I'm changing him on the floor. It's just so tempting to her, but she is getting better. I push her back and say NO and when she sits down I say good girl.