Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do Female/Female Dog Combos Work?

pennynikkel
March 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Hi there,

I currently have a 2 year old English Bulldog, and would like to add another dog, an puppy Bullmastiff. But the breeder only has females left. I know that the rule of thumb is that male/female combo's work better, but I'm wondering what the real world experiences are out there.

My bulldog loves other dogs and is friendly, but of course is spoiled rotten, so I'm sure there would be an adjustment. I just wouldn't want it so that they would fight all the time, or not get along.

Any advice?

db7
March 30th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I don't know about spayed dogs but I can say that 2 fertile female dogs can be the worst combo

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Actually, in general, two spayed females are the worst combination depending of course on individual personality and breed.

Two bull breeds could be a VERY bad combination if both are female and fighting for dominance could be fierce.

I would wait for a male. Even then there are no guarantees, but I think the chance of having peace might be better.

mona_b
March 30th, 2005, 09:59 AM
From what I have heard many times is that even 2 spayed females can fight to the battle.Especially when mature.I have only had male dogs.And 2 at the same time with absalutely no fights or anything.

IMO,I would go with a male. :thumbs up

LR,your to quick....LOL

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM
As LR indicated, it is best to go female to male particuliarly in the bull breeds. I have two females presently that get along very well however, I have had two females come in before and it's been all out war. Really is dog specific not necessarily breed specific.

MIA
March 30th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Just to echo what LR & BMDLuver said, I wouldn't do it really with bull breeds but I do know that for instance you can have a pile of MinPins and sex doesn't really matter. Two female shibas - bad idea!!! LOL

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I agree to wait. At our park, even the most submissive females have fought at one time or another with another female. A submissive male fighting would be so rare. I'd wait for the next litter or find a different breeder. (Would a breeder even let a dog go to a home with another female already?)

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 11:24 AM
(Would a breeder even let a dog go to a home with another female already?)

A knowledgeable, responsible and caring breeder of these breeds certainly would NOT.

bluntman
March 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Zena was just over a year old when I got Sable, I new nothing about which sexes got along best,(and still don't) and they get along great. Sable definetly became the more dominate of the two, and they both understand people are dominate over them, this may be part of the reason there fine together. I just can't solely blame breeds or sex, for dog compateabillity, some of it must come from how they are socalized and raised.

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Bluntman, your Zena seems to be unusual in that she is an adult pit bull who is "cold" and that is very much the exception.

She is also VERY beautiful, and my Chloe wants to be pup pals with her.:D

bluntman
March 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Bluntman, your Zena seems to be unusual
Yup, you got that right, She is definitely different, I'm just glad she is the way she is, my best freind :thumbs up

pennynikkel
March 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Thank you for all you replies. I guess I was getting quite excited about the idea, but am now pausing to give greater thought. I tend to think of my girl as a sweetie, but also know she has a tough spot, and this might be exaggerated if the conditions were different, i.e. she's not the queen! I appreciate the feedback, and any others that follow.

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
We've had female female combos and they tolerated each other at best, but evey once in a while there would be knock down drag out fight. If you want the 2 doggies to be buddies' I'd wait for a male.