Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me Please

doug112
March 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I dont know what to do, please do not jump down my throat. My sister was very irresponsible and got this cat for free, well she didnt wanna keep it because she cant afford it and gave it to me. I have had it 3 days now and i cannot afford to gets his shots or get him neutered or afford litter. The humane society is making me pay for the cat to be brought in and i just cant do that. My budget is really tight because i had no heart to give up simba. Which by the way is coming up on another post in a minuit :rolleyes: . I cannot just afoord to keep him, he really is beautiful and i will get some pics of the cat soon, but he is compleatly black with a tiny white tip on his tail. Looks like he dipped his tail in paint. :p . Any info is welcomed and please do not jump down my throat, i have 2 kids and i am working a single job as it is. The income isnt very much. And i can bearly afford simba but i am making it work for him, i simply cannot bring another pet into my home.

canine14
March 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Where are you?

Talley3000
March 30th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Okay I understand your position and I'm not going to 'jump down your throat'
But you NEED to get that kitty his shots. Without them he could pick up some very nasty diseases, some which can be passed on to your children. If you go to your vet and explain the situation, there may be a way for you to pay in installements.
If you get the vets stuff out of the way, then you can concentrate on raising your kitty. Cats are reasonably cheap to keep, just find a good pet food from a supermarket and make sure he gets plenty for water. As you have children, you will also need to make sure he won't be pestered and that he has a place to sleep where he can 'chill out' and just relax without anyone bothering him.
Keep us updated.
If you really cannot pay, then it is unfair to keep this cat. You should put an ad in the local paper or call your nearest shelter.
Good luck

Cinnabear
March 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Are there any cat rescues in your area that would be willing to accept the cat. Possibly ask vets they might know someone who is looking for a cat. Good luck in finding another home for the cat.

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM
You're doing the right thing by finding this kitty a new home, if you know you cannot properly care for him.
Talk to a vet and get him his first shots. Any costs you have can be recouped by asking an adoption fee. Don't forget to get a neuter contract in place so your not adding to the pet population.

We'll not jump down your throat as this is an odd happenstance. You're doing what you can, and that's all anybody can ask of you.

doug112
March 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM
My vet wont do installments and neither with any other down here. I canno afford his shots, its not my cat to begin with. Wrong site on here to post. Sorry if no one understands. I can bearly afford simba and a cat is going to make my kids go with out food. Sorry for bugging and asking for help. am in the burlington area. I am at my wits end here

maddoxies
March 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Doug, I sent you a pm. I might have a couple of options for you and I will be in Toronto as of April 10, for 3 weeks

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 10:13 AM
That's actually Doug's sister whose name I don't know. Don't give up yet. How about everyone working together to get this cat what it needs? Goldengirl, pm me if she responds and let me know what you are planning. I'll try to help out in some way as well. Thanks.

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
My vet wont do installments and neither with any other down here. I canno afford his shots, its not my cat to begin with. Wrong site on here to post. Sorry if no one understands. I can bearly afford simba and a cat is going to make my kids go with out food. Sorry for bugging and asking for help. am in the burlington area. I am at my wits end here

Chill. I'd like to know how "We'll not jump down your throat as this is an odd happenstance. You're doing what you can, and that's all anybody can ask of you." and others suggesting you ask your vet for help placing the cat = we don't understand and you think this is the wrong site to post this question. Relax, take a deep breath and re-read what was posted. Geez. And I thought "I" was in a bad mood today.

maddoxies
March 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks BMD, I guess I am still in such shock over Champ that I did not make the connection. And I had just been wondering about Doug's dog too.

:sorry: that I forgot (stupid, stupid stupid)

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Don't beat yourself up about that Goldengirl. I've a mind like a steal trap but it crashes n burns quite often. I'm sure Doug's sister will understand. :) You've been through a lot these past few days too! :grouphug:

sammiec
March 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I can try and help you out. I am some what familiar with the Burlington area. I can search for some clinics and vets in the area, I will see what I can come up with. I will do some investigating.

sammiec
March 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Here's what seems like a good vet clinic and they have approved payment plans...The closet one is maybe Hamilton and they have "pick up and delivery"
http://img.yellowpages.ca/images/customer/280/2803695d.gif

chico2
March 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Doug,you can contact Animal Aid in Burlington,it's a wonderful no-kill shelter.
Here's the address:Animal Aid inc,2319 Fairview Str Burlington.
Phone:(905)637-7325

doug112
March 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I have already called, they told me and my mother there is a fee to drop him off, i simply cannot afford it. My mother is getting his first set shots tomorrow for me now i owe her money for that. Hopefully that will help me get a good home for him

amber416
March 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM
What is the deal with your sister? Didn't she just give you a bunch of baby rats that you came on here desperately looking for something to do with? Maybe that wasn't her who gave them to you, i can't quite remember, but what ever happened to them? If i were you I would really insist your sister take some accountability for this so she doesn't do it again.

doug112
March 30th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I have 5 sisters and 2 brothers plus doug who passed away, so no it wasnt her who gave me the rats, that would be my littlest sister who gave me the rats, shes only 12 years old. Lay off my family unless you know for sure what your talking about

Talley3000
March 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Okay calm down honey.
I think Amber is more angry with your sister for this whole dilemma - yet I agree we should just be concentrating on the poor kitty.
It's good that he is getting some shots.
is there anyway you can raise some funds? It may sound silly but its practical. If you have any old junk, you can sell that on ebay etc
I really hope you find a way throught his :thumbs up

amber416
March 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
You need to relax. If your sister did this she should be helping. I agree that finding help for the cat is the priority but you seem to have a reason why you cannot take every piece of advice given. What is it you want us to say? Do you want someone to offer to pay your drop off fee for this cat? or to come get the cat from you?

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I think you need to relax before typing. Unless you specify which member of your family gave you whatever animal, people will assume it's the same person. Chill out. :mad: :mad: :mad:

lezzpezz
March 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Doug. I think your heart is in the right place and you are trying to do what is best for the kitty. I, personally, think that your mother is doing a good thing, although she may not be in any financial position to do so!, by paying for the first set of shots, but she should be billing your sister and not you!

You are the good guy in all of this, and have a kind heart toward animals, that's why you cannot say "no", even if it is at your expense. Get the kitty the needles, and perhaps you can talk to your mom and cut a deal, such as working off the cost by doing some work around the house. I get the feeling that you are fairly young (sister of 12 yrs old), and a future animal activist!! :love: and you really want to do the right thing, which you are, by trying to get the cat into a house where it's needs can be met. I'm sure you can and will find a suitable home for the cat after it has it's needles. When you "advertise", do charge a fee to recoup the money spent at the vet and reimburse your mom, if you haven't done so with slave labour :p Do let us know how this turns out! Love to see a picture of the cat.

On a side note, it is unfortunate that the very first sentance that Doug typed said, "don't jump down my throat". That does not bode well for what a youngster thinks he can expect when asking the "elders" for assistance. Right off the bat, he had to put up his defences....what does that tell you?

heidiho
March 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I think this person is just trying to get a rise out of wveryone and it is working again,do not think this is the first time this doug person has done it either...............

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
The user ID "Doug" is not actually the person's name. It was the name of one of the siblings that passed away.

"Doug112" - is an older ID and should probably be changed to something more appropriate - either that or people will continue to call you by your deceased brother's name. You can PM one of the Admins to have your ID changed.

lezzpezz
March 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I apologize for any confusion or ill feelings I may have cause by referring to the poster as "Doug". My mistake. And I appreciate all of the pm-ers that pointed out this error. I hope that things work out well for this cat. Do let us know.