Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obediance

Talley3000
March 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
when we got our westie puppy Tally, we made the mistake of being very gentle with her. We assumed she would naturally fit into the man/dog behaviour, but now she has taken complete control :evil:

She is now around 9 months old. We would like to let her off her lead during walks, but we know she will not come back. She assumes it is a game and runs away when you are a few footsteps away from her. Last time my Mum dared this, it took her twenty five minutes to catch her.

She is also very growly. For instance, if she is sleeping on the floor and you pick her up to take her to her crate, she will growl very viciously and go to bite and scratch you. She also barks in the garden, we have been told to fire a small water pistol at her, which works sometimes.

Please help give us advice on how to help make her more tame! When she isn't like this, she is a very loving little dog.

Take care,

Sarah

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Your dog needs obedience training and should not be let off leash until she learns who the boss is.

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Yes, never let an untrained dog off leash unless you want to lose it. This dog and your mom need to go to training. Even little dogs can be dangerous when they are left untrained.

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Being lenient and soft with many other dogs might be fine, but Tally is a terrier and her behavior is perfectly normal for a terrier who has been allowed to get away with everything.

Here is an article to teach you how to get her under control. For it to be successful (and it will be!) everyone in your house must follow the rules.

Alpha Boot Camp (http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm)

Talley3000
March 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks you guys...I'm gonna read through the Alpha article and talk with my family about training classes.