Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! My puppy argues with me!

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
We still have a problem with Sophie chewing on people. I've tried holding her mouth shut and telling her NO, but as soon as I let go she bites me again. The more stern I get with her the more rough she gets with me. She starts out just trying to chew on my fingers but ends up growling at me and biting. Does she think it's a game? Is she trying to dominate me? She's only 12 wks old and a beagle so I can't imagine that it's really agressive behavior. But she doesn't do it with my husband. All he has to do is yell NO and she runs under the kitchen table, LOL! Same with my dad. He showed me how to squeeze her paw when she bites because he said it's a pressure point and it works with all his dogs. It worked for him with Sophie, but I got the growling and biting again. It's starting to bug me. What am I supposed to do? I have her set up for puppy classes but it's not til the first of May.

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM
When she goes to bite your fingers, put your thumb down on her tongue and your hand cupped around her chin. Put a slight pressure on her tongue and say no. Then replace your hand with a toy immediately and say good dog. Keep repeating it until she gets that your hand is not a chew toy. She can't get her jaws on you in this position and she will soon learn to dislike it.

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks. I'll try that. It doesn't bother me so much when she chews on ME, even though I know I shouldn't let her, but I really don't want her chewing on the kids. Especially the baby, because he can't defend himself.

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM
If I was you, I would try to figure out how I am letting this doggy think that she can get away with this. If your hubby has no trouble stopping it, there must be a difference in the tone of voice, body language or firmness that make her not keep testing. You just have to try to see what he does and mimic it and see what happens. Are you consistent? Are there times when she bites and your not paying attention and you let it slide?

mona_b
March 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Well she could definately still be teething.Do you have any chewy toys for her?You can roll up a face cloth,wet it and stick it in the freezer.Then let her go to town with it...LOL

Also,I think the only reason she listens to hubby and your dad IS because they are "yelling"..That sure as to heck would get me to stop..LOL.

She needs to be re-directed...Every time she starts to "chew" in a firm(not yelling.will only put fear in her later on)voice say "NO".When she stops,give her a toy she can chew on.Then when she chews on it,praise big time...It will take a few tries.But she will grasp on to it...... :)

I have done this when my one dog was a pup.He was 12 weeks when I got him.So along with the teething and re-directing,it took only about a week. :)

meb999
March 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
What worked for Harry and I (my dad's Springer spaniel) was when he would nip, I would yelp in a high pitch voice. That would make him stop in his tracks and then I'd praise him for stopping. After 3 consecutive yelps, I would stand up and ignore him for a few minutes -- he soon associated biting with end-of-play-time.

Good Luck!

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
She has tons of chew toys, and I give them to her when I correct her. I've tried yelping, I've tried screaming like I'm dying, and she thinks it's funny. The only thing I can think of is that I play with her more than dh or my dad (she's only met him once) and she knows that I will still love her even if she does chew on me. She's not so sure about the other two, LOL!

Princesss04
March 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Dahlia we are in sort of the same boat with Chino. Although his problem is he likes to lick you. He does not care if it is your face, hand, leg, etc. He just wants to lick everyone. LOL I am working on stopping that. LOL But than you have my dad that comes over (aka grandpa to the dogs) and he thinks it is cute so what do I do. LOL Although as long as you are not the one that is being licked it is really cute. When I am in the bathtub he thinks he has to lick my hair after it is wet. I started shuting the door and he thinks he is dying so I just live with it. :D

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
My beagle nipped as a puppy too but I would yell and scream and say no in my loudest voice - which I have to admit is not that loud, lol - and he did stop - eventually!! It takes patience to raise a puppy!!

Dahlia
March 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM
I know it takes patience, I just wondered if I was doing something wrong, since she doesn't listen to me. I think one problem is that my "stern" voice doesn't affect her, because I have a hard time sounding stern unless I'm REALLY mad, and then I just sound mad. My dad and dh are naturally big loud alpha males and when they speak everyone listens.

ANBshilling
June 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Have you had any success? If so, tell me what you did! My 6 month old pup tries to nip me when I fuss at him, play with him and push him away. Its like he always wants to get the last laugh too, I think he is all about getting even. And when I point my finger at him and fuss he nips it and it hurts!
He does it a lot with my son who just turned 5. He jumps up and tries to bite him on the face and when he runs or plays with him he tries to bite him all over. Sometimes he will get MY legs if he can't find anything else. We've tried time out, holding his mouth shut until he gives in, yelping but he's so stubborn that none of it works. We're kinda at a loss now on how to stop it...

Mockingcat
June 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM
In order to get Clover to stop playbiting, I had to be so dramatic with her. If she nipped, I'd yelp at the top of my lungs, and jump up as quickly as I could, even if it meant dumping her onto the floor (she's fully grown, not a puppy). I stood up and walked away from her, and ignored her until she came and "apologized" by licking my hand nicely. :)

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
It doesn't bother me so much when she chews on ME, even though I know I shouldn't let her,

This is very confusing for the puppy. She cannot understand why it's okay to chew on one person, but not another. Training must be consistant and fair and the puppy needs to know if something is always okay, or never okay.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM
My pup, Zoe is almost 5 months old now. We got her at 15 wks from some young kid who owned her. When we got her, she had no manners, no control, no potty training, no nothing,!! She was an absolute wild little beast.

She used to chomp and chomp hard! When she wanted to bite, I would give her a toy instead, I yelped, i pushed her away, walked away from her, I told her NO and she kept on doing it. So i started doing what BMD lover posted. I grabbed her lower jaw and stuck my thumb in there and applied a little pressure. I did this under her tongue - don't think it matters. It has worked wonders! She still bites a little(teething) but she does it so gentle now - UNLESS she's all hyped up - but this is when you give her something else to do.

This has always worked for my other dog too - when he has his frisbee in his mouth and won't let go. It's an immediate response! It's funny when other people play with him and he won't let go, i simply walk over, hug him and at the same time touch his lower jaw and tell him to let go. Everyone is so impressed at how he listens so well to his Mom!!!

jessi76
June 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I have a 13wk old pup who is mouthy every now & then when playing, but it took about 3 solid weeks of being consistant about biting to curb the behavior. We were successfull by giving him treats when he does go for his toys and when he nips, playtime is OVER.

Now when he tries all I have to say is "AHH-AHH" in a stern low voice and he stops immediately and gets one of his toys. consistancy really pays off.

Beaglemom
June 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM
When my beagle was a pup, she only ever bit me once. When she bit my hand that first time, I wrapped my hand around her lower jaw, said no in a stern voice and then released. It did not hurt her, but she did not like it. She never bit me nor anyone else again in play.

BeagleMum
June 10th, 2005, 10:53 AM
With Spencer we had to yell "Ouch" or "Yipe" and he would stop because he thought that he hurt us. He would usually only stop for about 10 seconds then bite again but we just kept at it and now he barely ever bites at all.