Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary website I found from Toronto...

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I was doing a research paper on forensic DNA testing (yey... :yuck: ) and I found this website. Is this the future of our life with pets? Are there going to be test tube puppies? I mean, I suppose it is good for sceptical rich people who are buying a pure bred doggy with a tendancy toward certain genetic disorders...
Canine DNA testing... (http://www.healthgene.com/canine/)

Schwinn
March 30th, 2005, 10:27 AM
To me, it doesn't sound any different than what was offered to us for my wife's pregnancy. They tested for all sorts of things, including Down's Syndrome. When discussing it, the doctor said that if anything is positive, we could then decide what "choice" to make. Even though we knew that we didn't care what the results were, we would be going the distance, we had it done to try to prepare ourselves. This sounds the same, only with dogs.

db7
March 30th, 2005, 10:40 AM
My read on it is that they are offering a service to test a potential brood bitch and stud to deterimine if they share genes that will manifest a defect. Exactly what good breeders have been doing by experiential observation since the beginning of husbandry. Sounds good to me. What a great way to learn before you conduct a breeding and avoid perpetuating genetic disorders.

booflava
March 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me....... My 12 week old Cocker Spaniel puppy recently started coughing as if something is stuck in his throat. He had what I thought was a fever and dry nose last night but in the morning he was fine. He is still playing with our other spaniel but I am still worried. He has mucus or something coming out his nose when coughing and his breathing is heavier than normal. It doesn't sound normal. I grew up with cocker spaniels and never experienced this.
Does anyone know what this is??

Many Thanks in advance.

raingirl
March 30th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Sounds like your dog has a cold or infection. The only option is to take him to a vet.

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've been thinking about it today and I think it's a good idea for breeders. But what about getting it done just to see if your dog is up to par? I don't know if I could "bring it back" if I found out it had a disease... Maybe just open a new savings account?