Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Afraid of Dogs

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Is there any fellow dog owners out there that are afraid of other people's dogs??? I have two dogs--a Pit Bull and a husky/akita mix. Love them to death and have no fears about them whatsoever.
Tonight, I was outside playing with Copper when a little puppy appeared in our front yard. I tried to call her over, but she ran across the road. I followed her to the neighbour's back porch where she sat with their other dog. The other dog(rotti mix I think) came towards me barking, hair raised on his back. He was kind of scared and I thought I was going to faint! The neighbour came out and grabbed him so I told them about the pup. Yes, it was theirs, they've only had it a few weeks. I stood there and talked for awhile and eventually the rotti mix and I became friends. All is cool fo now.

I was literally shaking when the dog was coming up to me. Friends of ours have GSD's and I am terrified of them even though I met them as pups!! I think I'm more freaked out when they are loose than when tied up or on the end of a leash. Does anyone else feel this way? I was never afraid until I got bit, and that was by a dog I didn't know. But now a days, I just about freak when I'm around other dogs! I just can't believe how freaked out I was tonight by this!

happycats
March 29th, 2005, 09:42 PM
CoopersMom, Don't worry, your not the only one, when I see any large dog coming toward me, I am terrified.
I have gotten a little better since having my son ( he depends on me to keep him safe) also I don't want him to be afraid of dogs. So now I just act brave and never make eye contact and walk right by. (I am still scared) :eek:
I also have been bitten a few times, and each time in the face, so maybe that's why I'm scared.
I think most people are a little afraid when a large dog comes at them!

Prin
March 29th, 2005, 09:48 PM
It is normal to have a reasonable amount of fear when a strange dog is in attack mode. I grew up with dogs that were always twice my size so I think sometimes I'm not scared enough....

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 09:49 PM
But do you shake?? I was shaking like a leaf!!!!! (Maybe it's lack of nicotine--i don't know!) I can't help but tremble!! I know what to do and not what to do when meeting strange dogs but I can't help this!!!

goldenblaze
March 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I am the same way, love dogs but scared of alot of them. Before I moved to where I live now I was walking my dogs Jordie and my Lab Kaiger, it was a really nice day we went further than normal.
I was terrified as down this long driveway came two dogs, running and showing their teeth. I really felt like I was going to faint, my two boys were scared as they have never seen any dog act like this. I picked Jordie up as he was climbing up my leg and pulled Kaiger as close to me as possible. I did not move, don't think I could of if I wanted to. The owner of the dogs came running and yelling at the dogs, Thank God he got there in time and called both dogs back, not sure what would of happen and they were about 10 feet from me at this time. I was never so glad to get my boys home, I did have a few words for this owner. I always called before walking my dogs after this and told him to make sure his dogs were not coming out near the road as we were walking by. He was nice and always put the dogs in while we went by. I think alot of people are scared of dogs even ones they know well. :o Yes I was shaking like a leaf too...could not even feel my legs, it was scary.

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I've NEVER been afraid of dogs. We had a family dog (American Eskimo) who bit me in the face. I wasn't scared after that and I provoked it!! I used to go up to any dog and throw my arms around it without any fear!!

happycats
March 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Yes I remember an occasion when a very large mutt came at me growling and showing it's teeth when I was walking down the sidewalk, I was terrified, and after I yelled at the top of my lungs to shut up and go home (it was very loud, out of fear I'm sure). the dog slowly walked off. I was left shaking in fear almost in tears!

happycats
March 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I was never afraid of any dog as a child either, I used to bring them all home. (can I keep it mom). Usually I found huge ones that even scared my mom and dad ! I would hug and pet every dog I saw.
The fear only started when I was an adult, I don't know why :confused:

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I was never afraid of any dog as a child either, I used to bring them all home. (can I keep it mom). Usually I found huge ones that even scared my mom and dad ! I would hug and pet every dog I saw.
THe fear only started when I was an adult, I don't knoe why :confused:

I'm glad it's not just me! It's so weird though. I know what should be done in a situation like this and have yelled at strange dogs before but I just can't now! If my dog was in danger, then I think I would definitely act on it the situation! NOBODY is going to hurt Momma's Boy!!!

Lizzie
March 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
It's okay copper's mom. Believe it or not, im afraid of cats...not kittens, but grown cats. :o

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 10:12 PM
It's okay copper's mom. Believe it or not, im afraid of cats...not kittens, but grown cats. :o

OMG!! Any idea why??

SnowDancer
March 29th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I, perhaps foolishly, have never been afraid that any dog would hurt me personally - a notion that will probably one day backfire. However, not having fear of dogs - and so far never having met a dog that didn't love me, I have been able to calm down loose dogs who obviously intended harm to my small but protective dogs, pick up my pups and move fast. But I am finding it more difficult of late. The park across the street is a "leash only" park, but the only person who seems to follow that rule is me - and I do not go in the park - but the loose dogs see us passing and we have been cornered by a few over the past weeks. If I couldn't talk the dog down, I guess I would have to be attacked to save my dog. On Thurs. when we go to the vet I was thinking about discussing the carrying of pepper spray to be used in extreme emergencies only.

twodogsandacat
March 29th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I am scared of dogs that I don't know when they show up without their owner.

I also found out this weekend that I am scared of my brothers 12 pound dog - but only after I ran out of treats.

I have picked up stray Shepherd, Doberman and a Beagle. The Shepherd I was a little cautious of and fed it cookies through the bars. The Dob I would of kept. The beagle had too much energy.

Natasa
March 30th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I’m not scared of dogs at all, but have a healthy respect for them and for what they can do if they so choose. There are some breeds I “respect” better than others, but that’s a whole different topic.

Lizzie
March 30th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Hmm...well I'm allergic so perhaps this has assisted in encouraging my fear by never giving me the chance to get too close to a cat.

I don't really know where it started, but for some reason I am really scared!! Kittens are little babies, which is why my fear doesn't exist with them...I view them as harmless. It's very weird, I know, but it does make your fear look more reasonable!! heheheh!!

Dahlia
March 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I've never met a dog I was afraid of. They seem to know that because other people's dogs never come at me barking or growling, they always wag their tails and lick me, even if I'm a stranger at their house. I have had people come to the door and call the dog and say that it usually tries to bite strangers. But my husband is afraid of strange dogs, even though he won't admit it. He's hesitant around them and they pick up on it. He got an Austalian Shepherd from a guy he works with and when he went to pick the dog up he growled at him and tried to bite him. The owner put him in the crate and they loaded him into the back of the blazer and brought him here. Dh tried to open the crate when he got home and the dog still tried to bite him. I went out there, opened the crate, got him out and put the leash on him with no problem. My kids were also scared of him, and he snapped at them. The only people he apparently liked were me and the baby. We ended up having to give him back because I was afraid the kids might end up getting hurt. I was sad, but then we got Sophie.