Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greetings...and a humble request for advice regards my dog's new found aggression

eksath
March 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just signed up and enjoyed readig many threads here. However,i thought i would post my story for your feedback. I appreciate your input.

BACKGROUND:
I just adopted from the pound a 5.5 year (estimate) old Lab. retriever-spaniel mix (47 lbs) who was discovered on the streets 3 months ago. Very well trained dog with a low key attitude. humble and obediant even with new stimuli.

My existing dog of two years is a lab-pitbull-corgi mix (i think) (another rescue dog born at pound). She has been with me for 2 years and spends most of time with me.Approx. 35 lbs. Good with my cats of 3 years. No aggression ever seen before. Very friendly with children and plays with strangers all the time. Also plays with other dogs.Not neutered

the Problem:

Everytime,i pay attention to new dog (i.e. play with her and pat her),my "old" dog approaches the dog and starts growling. if the other dog starts growling back,she attacks. Unfortunately, at that point the new dog responds and i have a full blown fight which is very difficult to break up...i have seperated the two with difficulty and sent them to their corners. They have succeeded in fighting 3 times with blood drawn on both sides. I have eliminated the catalyst (i.e my playing with new dog in front of old dog) and started very closely monitoring of them when they are together. The new dog sleeps downstairs (she choose to) and the old dog sleeps upstairs now.

I expect this is pure jealousy and i have started using the sit command to control my old dog when i notice aggression developing.

In the best case scenerio,i am hoping that my old dog will realize that she is here to stay after a few weeks and i wont have to be on guard all the time..

what do you guy' and gals think? If anybody has had this scenerio before,can you give me some more insight?

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Did you introduce them on neutral territory, or bring the new dog into the old dog's house? That could be your first problem, the new dog is seen as the "invader", if old dog did not get the chance to meet new dog on netural territory first.

Feed old dog first, give treats to old dog first, old dog goes in and out of doorways before new dog (but after you) etc. In other words, treat old dog as the "alpha" dog, or pack leader.

You may need to keep one or both on short leashes (dangling, not holding on) in the house to help you get control of them in an emergency.

Good luck, I am sure there are others who can add more to this

Remember though, dogs are like people and these two just might not like each other.

Also, why did you get a second dog? Did the first one have a play friend? Companionship while you are at work??

Lucky Rescue
March 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
You have two adult females which is often the worst combination as the competition (and fighting) can be fierce.

You can try the methods mentioned by goldengirl. But if they don't work, the only solution may be to keep them separated.

SnowDancer
March 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I am afraid I must concur with GoldenGirl and LuckyRescue. Have been in the same situation.

eksath
March 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all your replies. :)

Did you introduce them on neutral territory, or bring the new dog into the old dog's house? That could be your first problem, the new dog is seen as the "invader", if old dog did not get the chance to meet new dog on netural territory first.

no...no neutral territory. guess that was a mistake on my part...did not do research on that fact!

Feed old dog first, give treats to old dog first, old dog goes in and out of doorways before new dog (but after you) etc. In other words, treat old dog as the "alpha" dog, or pack leader.

okay...i am doing that as of yesterday!

You may need to keep one or both on short leashes (dangling, not holding on) in the house to help you get control of them in an emergency.

am doing this during their walks. Old dog has longer leash and i realize that she is running ahead etc all the time. Also,she is first out of house. never knew how important this part is! :thumbs up

Am using the SIT command to keep control of the older dog inside of the house but that requires my constant attention...i am worried of a fight when i am out of the house.

Good luck, I am sure there are others who can add more to this

Remember though, dogs are like people and these two just might not like each other.

Thanks..hope they get along though!...

Also, why did you get a second dog? Did the first one have a play friend? Companionship while you are at work??

Yes..i got the second to be a buddy while i am at work...right now that seems to be not viable!.....:evil:

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM
My existing dog of two years is a lab-pitbull-corgi mix (i think) (another rescue dog born at pound). She has been with me for 2 years and spends most of time with me.Approx. 35 lbs. Good with my cats of 3 years. No aggression ever seen before. Very friendly with children and plays with strangers all the time. Also plays with other dogs.Not neutered

It would be a great idea to get her spayed. Is the other dog fixed??

eksath
March 29th, 2005, 09:38 PM
It would be a great idea to get her spayed. Is the other dog fixed??

yes. the new dog wad spayed at the pound ( in middle january)...but the older dog hasnt been.

so that may mitigate the competition? thanks!..would it be too late,though?

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Nope, it's not too late!! It'll cost a little more because the dog has been through heat cycles.

db7
March 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I agree with others here, sounds like you will always have to manage this relationship. It makes sense to stablize things by reinforcing the pecking order, not just between the dogs but between the top dog and you. You being acting more "alfa" could help to keep it more calm. Things like YOU go out the door first.

Eventually they will work out their boundries and limits and you will become more confident about leaving them unsupervised. They will keep a certain distance and tolerate each other.

eksath
March 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone! :thumbs up

I have been quite stressed as i dont want to give up either or have anyone injured.

I have been a little scared of the aggression level shown by my old dog especially since i have never seen it in her...Kinda of the end of innocence.

I will keep you folks informed of developments. :)

eksath
April 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update. I have been following through on all your advice and being more acutely aware of the situation however things are looking good. I have had the two dogs at home for 1 week and 4 days now.

However, we havent had a fight in ONE WHOLE WEEK!...wooohooo... and the old dog has decided that she wants to play with the new one! :crazy: :party: ..

hoping this positive trend continues...and my cats agree with me on this! :)

Lucky Rescue
April 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
Please get your other dog spayed. There is no reason not to, and many reasons to do it.

It may help the relationship between the dogs, and going through heat cycles is no fun and physically draining for the dog. Also, each heat cycle increases the chances of pyometra, and cancers of the reproductive organs and mammary glands.

Prin
April 4th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I'm confused-- are both dogs females? Your original doggy is 2 and the new one is about 5.5, right? If that's the case, I don't blame her. She, being a rescue, is probably already insecure and she finally gets a good home and two years later all of a sudden an older, bigger female comes in the picture. She goes from being ruler of the roost to second in command... Not a doggy ideal.

With rescues, it is always ideal to mix the sexes-- get a male and a female. Females don't get along very well, even without shady pasts. I really don't know if this will work out, but I really hope it does.... :confused: