Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup's wet feet are stinking up the house.

Gripenfelter
March 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Its that time of year. Super slushy outside.

Everytime my dog comes in from the backyard he brings the stink with him.

I trimmed the fur down off the bottom of his feet but his paws and legs are wet from the deep snow in our backyard. He gets the carpet wet when he comes in and it stinks.

I should also mention he makes a point of not stepping in his feces and he generally poops and pees in one part of the yard.

What can I do to minimize the amount of water he brings into the house?

Door mat? Train him to wipe his feet? :p I've put down carpet runner in front of the patio door that he uses as well.

How would I train him to wipe his feet? I've seen some dogs do it on command.

lezzpezz
March 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Ha! I hate this time of year for the same reason, BUT I have learned to live with it, that, or kill myself :p I keep towels by the back and front door so when my 3, (yes...THREE), large hairy beasties come in, it's foot wipin' time! They love it! It is also good to get your pup used to having their feet handled, especially when it comes to getting nails trimmed. The mud in my yard is so bad in the spring that my husband build a mud room on the back of the house for the dogs!! Elaborate or what! I also lay blankets on everything including the carpet, so the dogs can lay down and the muck soaks into the washable stuff. I am always doing laundry at this time of year. I keep a mop and bucket out and full of water for quick cleanups throughout the day. It ain't pretty, but that's life with 3 big dogs, (and the neighbours' GS).
As for the smell, it is up to you if you want to continually wash the pups feet. I don't bother....they're dogs afterall, and we are fully aware that some smells are iminent...Heck, my husband smells worse sometimes!!! :p

SnowDancer
March 29th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Good luck. When you figure it out, I will send my husband to you for training. He is worse than our Eskimo who hits every snow bank, rain puddle and mud pile in sight. Not a pretty sight. I do leave towels etc. at the door, but my husband sets a very poor example for the dog.

lezzpezz
March 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Your husband is a stinker too, eh? :yuck:

Safyre
March 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM
The same dog shoes that I use in the Winter, I still use for this time of year. When its terribly muddy, I just put her shoes on her and it helps.
When she doesn't get the shoes put on, we have a vinyl floor right at the doors, she stops on the vinyl and allows us to wipe her feet before she gets into the house. Towel is always ready for her.

lezzpezz
March 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
That's brilliant! It never occured to me to use the booties in the mud! That is absolutely inspiring! Just toss them in the wash and voila! I will be using these tomorrow, afterall boots is boots! Thank you Safyre :thumbs up

Safyre
March 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
hehe, not a problem.
now if i can only figure out a way to prevent her from getting the mud on her belly, i'd be terribly happy (shes only 15 inches and loves to RUN)

lezzpezz
March 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM
sounds like she needs a snazzy doggy outfit to go with the booties! perhaps something that you can wipe down?

glasslass
March 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I don't have mud or stink, but wet feet are the reason Den-Den's feet are shaved! Not just for pretty feet!

Safyre
March 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM
my mother wants to buy her a lil coat. i hate dogs in coats though. lol my dog is a retreiver, they should not be in coats!! lol
The belly mud is okay, she sits nicely to get washed and has taken to jumping in the tub when she thinks shes too dirty (jumps in there by herself, dunno why)

lezzpezz
March 29th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Could it be that she is a retriever, therefore a natural water dog? She's just lookin' for a reason to jump in the water!

Safyre
March 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM
never thought of that lezzerpezzer.
sorry to steal the thread ... gone now.

Eleni
March 29th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I use baby wipes on sammys feet when he comes in the couse to give them a quick clean

its not perfect but it cuts down on the stinky dog smell

Eleni

Sadie's Mom
March 30th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Wipes are definitely a necessity! Also, train your dog to sit as soon as he comes in. He'll start doing in automatically eventually. Wipe his feet even when they aren't dirty just to make it automatic for him.

Sadie is so used to it that she will lift up her feet for me. But honestly, I don't know how you people with big dogs do it! Whenever Sadie comes in really filthy, she just goes straight to the sink for a rinse down. I guess that's just a perk of having an 8lb dog! :p

Gripenfelter
March 30th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Hmm...baby wipes...good idea.

Boots would work too I guess. :)

BMDLuver
March 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Boots are a great idea and as he is from a sledding breed, it might be a good idea to teach him to like them anyway. That way, when the baby arrives, you can train him to pull a tobaggan in harness with the baby having a great time! It will definitely make him less active in the winter months and help with his exercise. :)

Trinitie
March 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Train your dog to stop at the back door and get his feet wiped. It's always worked for me in the past, and I never had "stinky feet syndrome".

Gripenfelter
March 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ok well I'm training him to stop at the back door but I'm having a hell of a time wiping off the mud and sand.

I guess I'll try the boots. :)

vivilee
April 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
With large dogs, you can't really hope to have clean carpets. It really is best to get rid of carpeting alltogether and install composite flooring--it's easy to clean and durable and looks great and won't stink.

A friend of mine would leave a bucket of water by the door and some paper towels so she would have wipes handy.

vivilee
April 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
I was also thinking perhaps one of those foot bath machines might also work. You could train your dog to dip his/her feet into the machine and wash the paws more thoroughly.