Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What worked for me

justlittle19
March 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Heres another suggestion for training, instead of scolding my dog for chewing, and other worrie some things.

I live in the country and my dog goes to greet my son at the school bus after school and also walks him to the bus in the morning I was worried about him not comming back and going on the road...( I am not a believer in chaining dogs, crates or run's)..each to there own though if that works for you great.....anyways....I took an old heavy rag and went to the end of my drive with my dog. I got him to sit and stay on the drive, then i took the old heavy cloth and starting hitting the road and saying bad ........(I bet the passer bys thought I was nuts) My dog doesn't leave the drive at all. I have used it on several occasions for other things like when my dog started digging in my garden......I am not sure why this seemed to work so well but I am right now training a new puppy with the same approach and it seems to be doing wonders.

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 10:32 PM
My friend's mom used to do that with shoes-- the dog liked to steal them and she'd grab it and say "BAD SHOE!!".. And yes, she did look nutty...

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 12:42 AM
LOL!!!!!!!! Very clever, but I'm laughing my posterior off here....BAD ROAD!....BAD SHOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!