Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What luck!

Cactus Flower
March 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Over the weekend, my Mom and I went on a road trip to Cortez, Colorado. We were prepared to have a great time. Our only concern was being able to find a hotel that accepts pets- and a great dane, at that.
I was told that some places might take LITTLE dogs, for a hefty pet-fee.
Hmph.

We rolled into town and stopped at the first hotel we saw. Right on the counter it said "NO PETS". I asked the gal there if she knew of any place that does take pets. She said the hotel right next door did! Yippee!

I pulled into the hotel next door, took a deep breath, and prepared myself for the "Well we only take little dogs" argument, or "Well we will only take your great big dog for an extra 100 bucks" or something equally impossible.

I steeled myself emotionally, opened the door- and was greeted by a HUGE harlequin male great dane!!!!

A heavily accented Polish lady (owner of the hotel) came around the corner, saying "Oh Harley, who left your baby gate open??!". I had to laugh as she took this GIANT behind this little baby gate, and closed it. He stood there, obediently, whereupon I rushed over and began cooing and slobbering all over the poor boy. He accepted the attention most graciously, kissed me, and pulled at my sleeve, pawing at me over the baby gate, trying to play with me! Oh, he was such a doll!
"Most people are scared of him", the owner remarked with a smile.

When I told her that I had a female dane outside, in my Jeep, she hurried out there, insisting upon meeting Raj. And then it was her turn to coo and slobber all over my dog :D. Raj "put up with it", in her aloof "You are NOT MY MOM" way. Spoiled poochy.

Anyway, in the end, we not only didn't have to pay ANY pet fee whatsoever-but got a DISCOUNT on the room!

Never hurts to run into a fellow dane-lover :thumbs up !!!

goldenblaze
March 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Great story, glad you found a place for you and your Dane.
If only people knew more about pets they might allow them more. Good for you :thumbs up

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM
That's great. The only thing that would have made it better is if the hotel dane and Raj fell in love... Heh heh.. cheesy, I know... I watch too much tv.

Cinnabear
March 29th, 2005, 10:25 AM
What a lucky dog you have. :D And a discount to boot. Yeah. ;)

BMDLuver
March 29th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for sharing a positive one! There are so few positive stories these days. :sad:

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 01:05 PM
What a great story. Too bad a little doggie romance did not get started, yeah, I am a hopeless romantic at heart too.

I remember travelling with my first golden, Kitty. We were around Ste Anne de Beaupres, in Quebec. We drove down this long, windy, tortureous road to get to the campgrounds at the end of the road. We pulled up, and had negotiated a great campsite, when my golden looked out the window of the van.

"Pas de chien !!!" (NO DOGS). Well, Kitty looked down her nose at the women, as if to say "Who are you calling a "chien"?. and then turned her back on the woman.

She was named Kitty as the nickname for Katherine, as in Katherine the Great (the great digger, the great chewer, the great pooher - all before age 2 mind you). That golden girl truly was an aristocrate and to this day, I will still see her looking down her long nose with such distain at this woman who had the temerity to call her a "dog" and then turning her back on the woman as if to say, I will have nothing to do with anyone who thinks I am an "dog".

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Yes, the dane discount was a nice surprise!

As for the romance.....well the big boy met Raj when I took her out for a potty break. I brought Raj to the fence he was behind. Poor fellow just stood there cryyyyying, wagging and droooooooling and trying to push himself through the tiny holes of the chain link fence. I think he was in love....or lust....or something :D
Raj was mildly interested; sniffed for a minute nose-to-nose, then was ready to go on with our potty walk. So he didn't get her number, after all :p .
I wish I had brought my camera to post a picture of this handsome boy- he truly took my breath away.

Golden, sounds like Kitty was very dignified! How dare they? ;)

glasslass
March 29th, 2005, 02:47 PM
In all the years we've traveled with our Den-Dens (all 4 of them) only one motel didn't allow pets. And we stayed there because my inlaws had made the reservations and hadn't checked. Signs all over saying "Absolutely no pets!" No problem, we wrapped up Den-Den3 in his blankie and carried him to the room like our baby. My mother-in-law was laughing and saying "My grandson!" In the morning, we left early and again carried him out. He was so good and seemed to understand we were hiding him. After we got down the road, we let him out to pee. We always make reservations ahead of time using the AAA guidebook that tells us if the motel is pet friendly. Never had to pay an extra deposit.

If you ever go to Yreka, Calif., the Best Western there is wonderful. They have ground floor rooms with a fenced lawn area right outside the sliding glass doors. Every 25 feet or so there is a pet station with a trash bin and scoop hanging from a post next to it. They're friendly to large dogs as well. My brother's akita was welcome there as well with no deposit.

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Wow, Lass!

Sounds like you live in a very pet-friendly area! Wish they were a bit more trusting in Colorado. But I do understand that some people bring in untrained pets that cause messes and destruction. That can be pricey, especially difficult in a family-owned business.

I think I'll try the baby-blanket method next time.....only it will have to be a big blanket, and it will take two or three people to carry the "baby"....LOL.

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Catus Flower, maybe try a dress and hat instead, your "ugly aunt"????? ;)

Shamrock
March 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM
That is a great story, Cactus Flower! :thumbs up
Yes.. too bad you didnt get photos of the two in this unexpected meeting and rendevous!

When travelling, I dont mind paying a reasonable surcharge for a pet - but resent a large amount, or when its on a per-pet, per-night basis. That just seems like a cash grab. They have your credit card number to ding you with for any damage you or your pet may do, right?
Or maybe they could even charge a "pet damage" deposit up front.. refundable when you leave?

Glasslass, that is too funny about Den-Den 3 being "smuggled in" wrapped up like a baby! :crazy:
I've done the same thing in past days at various "non-pet" places.
Once I tried to get Percy into a movie theatre. (it was just an impluse choice while out walking him. I have one of those pooch-pouch things, like a doggie snuggli?.
Slipped in this, he's pretty hidden - just his head is sticking out- which in that case I tried to hide with my jacket.
Almost made it...lol.. ;)
:ca:

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
LOL LOL LOL Thanks Golden- nothing like hot coffee coming out of the nose!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS HILARIOUS!

You should post a warning with your posts!

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Shamrock that is so sweet, you wanted to watch the movie with Percy :) .

When I was a teenager, I once tied my beagle, Dacia, to the exit door of a theater (outside), paid for my ticket, went into the theater, then went to the exit door and brought her in! The exit door was actually inside the theater, so no employees saw me, and the people inside the theater just said "aww" and kept hushed about it.

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM
It is ok guys, no hot coffee coming out of the nose with this one !!!

We used to take the goldens with us to the drive in. More people came to see the dogs that were watching the movie.

We would open the side door of the van and put the puppy gate across (and switch of the interior door lights). The dogs got lots of air that way and LOVED the popcorn.

Kitty loved car chases, she would sit up and watch until they were over, then lay back down again (at the drive in and on TV).

OK, hot coffee warning here :crazy:

Have you seen the little hot dog bun suits for doxies ??? Guess I can't take Valentin to the drive in wearing one of those huh?? Or he could dance with the ice cream bars on the screen during intermissions (Ok, I KNOW I just dated myself there)

glasslass
March 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Goldengirl, I miss the drive-ins! We had a Toyota Landcruiser. Summer nights, we'd take Den-Den with us, picking up a pizza on the way. Then, with the top off and the windshield folded down, we'd sit out in the open and enjoy the movie. My hubby never got to see the Disney movies when he was a kid so we went to the drive-in to see Lady and the Tramp. A carload of little kids parked right next to us. After they got there, the mom held up her toddler and let him pee out the window - almost getting us! When they left the car and went to the snackbar to tank up, my hubby yanked their speaker cord out of the post. They came back, set the speaker in the window, and a couple minutes later moved to another spot. All night long, cars pulled in, set up, and moved on. We were giggling madly all night. I know, bad, bad, bad! :p

CactusFlower, maybe roll Raj up in a carpet and everybody will just look the other way and not want to get involved! :evil:

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
OMG the dancing popcorn box and drinks!!! Yes, I remember that. I miss the drive-in,too :(

Peeing out the window??
Some people.... :mad:

Prin
March 29th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Hey, you're not dating yourself unless you admit to it because they played those before movies in the "normal" theatres not too long ago. I think it was an attempt at getting you old folks nostalgic... lol...

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Eh? What's that you say, you little whippersnapper?......LOL....

I'm 37. (Or 25 with 12 years experience :D )

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Cactus Flower, you and Prin are BOTH children.

This is a great thread, how about an Official Travel Story thread ???? I am sure there are some other great stories out there too.

Ooops, time for the old folks home to turn off my computer rights

Bye.......

Prin
March 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
So is Goldengirl really short for golden-aged girl? Heh heh... I'm an old soul in a young body... I think being young at heart in an older body has a lot of advantages...

maddoxies
March 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Good one Prin, Goldengirl was my CB handle back in the 70's.

I guess I am still smarting from the surgeon's comment last week that I am too old to have the knee surgery for my torn ACL. (I am 25 with 23 years' experience)

Actually, I am almost 7 in dog years, it sounds better that way :thumbs up

By the way, I think this thread got hijacked !! Sorry Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower
March 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Not at all! I grabbed a box of dancing popcorn, and I'm just watching the show!
;)

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 02:47 AM
If you're all talking with the "25 with this many years experience", then I guess I am 25 but still in the womb? But hey, 24 with arthritis can pass as 40, no?

maddoxies
March 30th, 2005, 07:44 AM
If Cactus Flower is dancing with the popcorn (is that like dancing on tables??) then who is tending bar ?????

Margeurita for me please and ask the peanuts to do a shuffle down my way while you are at it :thumbs up

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Done!

But do you have a designated driver? You know you can't get into the drive-in without one... :p

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Tending bar???? At 7:44AM??? Are you waking up or have you just come home from a night out?

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Actually, we had a cooler in that Land Cruiser too! Ahhh! Here's to hot summer nights!

maddoxies
March 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Liquid pain killers Prin, my knee is playing up big time today. The physiotherapist really beat up on me last night. But you are right, at 7:44 am, it should be Morning Glories !!!!!

chico2
March 30th, 2005, 05:30 PM
You guys crack me up...seeing I am the senior here(21 with 40 yrs experience)I cannot handle that much excitement...got to have a little liedown :D

badger
March 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
C"mon Chico, you can rest when you're dead. Uncork a bottle, which is what I did, after putting 300$ on my credit card for a sick stray whose so-called mother lives across the street. But the vet just called and he doesn't have leukemia so I'm celebrating here, remembering those drive-ins, what a brilliant invention. I remember staying at a motel in the BC interior years ago, you could go up on the roof and watch movies at the drive-in next door.
Cheers everyone, red wine please, in abundance.

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Looks like I'm the designated driver, since I'm the only non-drinker here. I need a bigger Jeep :D . Ok so then let's pick which side of the drive-in to park in......there's a different movie on either side.....what are we hoping to watch, folks?

Golden, I'm sorry you're hurting. I used to have a physical terrorist, too, until I decided to just do the exercises at home.

GlassLass....amen! Here's to summer nights, indeed! (Can't WAIT!!).

Chico, my friend....you are two years younger than my Mom, and she can STILL put me to shame in a pair of jeans....but I'll forgive you for playing the "senior" card as an excuse to take a nap (*wink wink*)......naps are good.....LOL.

So what do you think, badger, prin.....should we tease the teenagers making out in the car next to us? Maybe throw condoms in the window? :p

badger
March 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Whoa, Nelly, I might be blushing, but not a bad idea, provided I don't need them myself. Red wine talking here.....

183 people viewing this thread? Marko must've invited his friends.

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 06:58 PM
183 people??? HIDE THE LIQUOR!!!!

Shamrock
March 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Chico, I'm right behind you.. coming up to forty years experience ... now that I'll be turning twenty soon.

Ah.. the drive-ins.. what memories!
sweet nostalgia.... :)

glasslass
March 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Quick Raj! Put the lampshade back on and make like a polelamp! :D

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Lass- Lol Lol Lol Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddoxies
March 30th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Quick Raja, put on the dress and make like an ugly aunt !!!!

Prin
March 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Why doesn't anyone still go to drive ins? I went with my man a couple of years ago-- we're car people so it was like merging the best of three worlds... All we were missing was the smoked meat... :p

doggy lover
March 30th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Drive inns what fun, not that I remember much of the movies, more likely the back seat of the car. Oh the memories. LOL 20 with 21 years under my belt.

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Golden and Lass....after your posts I spent about an hour, along with my son, trying to get a picture of Raj in "disguise" for you....she was having NONE of that....especially the sunglasses!

Ah well.

Cactus Flower
March 30th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Prin- I would go in a heartbeat if we had one :( . Ours shut down the year before last.

Prin
March 31st, 2005, 12:33 AM
Ya gotta come up here to Montreal then...

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 11:58 AM
I have a little tv and dvd player that plug into the car cigarette lighter, we can always park in the driveway and pretend !!!!

Or anyone with a big screen TV could roll it onto the driveway and charge admission !!!! BLOCK PARTY !!!! :party: :party: :crazy:

Prin, where are the drive-ins here? Maybe I will take Valentin this summer (the only "man" in my life).

It is almost noon, where is my Margeurita ????

Cactus Flower
March 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM
There is a town here in New Mexico where all the "movie theater" has IS A LARGE SCREEN T.V. Not kidding.

In Alamosa, Colorado, there is a hotel where the rooms surround a drive-in theater screen, and you can watch the movie out of the window of your room. They even have popcorn poppers in each room! I think that is so cool. This adorable little retired couple decided to take a chance with their savings and came up with this idea. It is doing VERY well.

It's almost noon? Wow, we've been up too long! LOL.
Would you settle for a V-8?

glasslass
March 31st, 2005, 05:58 PM
Ok! Enough with this "drive-in" talk! Let's call a spade a spade! They weren't really called "drive-ins" now were they. They were "Passion Pits"!
The size of the screen wouldn't matter anyway if the windows are all fogged up! Oh yeah Baby! We always parked to the right of the snackbar, about 3 cars away. Then we could watch to see who was there that we knew. One night my boyfriend stood me up 3 nights in a row! So I went to the drive-in with my roommate and we went to park in the usual spot and guess who was there already with his "cousin"? :eek: After I was through crying, I got mad. :evil: When we got back to our apartment, I went in my own car to my BF's parent's house 16 miles away and parked out front. His father came out to see who I was (1st meeting) and invited me inside to wait for him. I turned him down because I knew he'd take off again when he saw my car to avoid the confrontation. He finally got home at 2a and I let him have a piece of my mind. Hubby and I still laugh about that one and he still insists it was his cousin.

maddoxies
March 31st, 2005, 09:49 PM
All I know is that I STILL do not have my drink.

And the dancing peanuts, just opened off Broadway

Cactus Flower
March 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM
LOL!

Lass, I only ever experienced "passionate" drive-in viewing maybe twice out of the countless times I went.

That was a great story about your hubby and his "cousin"....

Golden maybe you should open a bar? :p