Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

won a trip i can't take (no money), scam?

raingirl
March 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I got a call about a trip I won today (filled out a ballot at the All about pets show). The catch was you had to pay your own air fair to florida, and pay a processing fee of $698 US for 4 tickets. I turned it down as my BF thought it was a money scam, also, they would need to bill my Visa, which is impossible right now due to all the problems with my new job.

I was all excited, and now I'm depressed. I went online before saying no to the trip and looked at my online banking, and everything was screwed up!! My Visa says that I have $0 available funds, even though I still have several hundred until my limit, and my line of credit has disappeared!! I still have no EI and don't get paid until friday, and all my bills are due thursday. I'm so freaking out!! I'm on the phone with the bank right now. I can pay back my line of credit friday after I get paid..and hopefully EI will come for the three weeks I wasn't working soon.

I really want to cry right now. At least my sister was nice and took me to Laser quest with her and her kids today.

Gazoo
March 28th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah when you enter contests they get your name and try to sell you on all kindsa crap...often calling you and telling you that you are a winner and then setting ya up for a timeshare presentation :eek:

Hope things get better for ya. :thumbs up

happycats
March 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I think it's a scam and I'm so sorry to hear about all your $$ problems, I know how it feels, (bin there) feels like the world is coming down all around you!!
but don't worry, things will get better :)
If all your bills are due the day before you get money, just give everyone a little. (utltities, phone and cable) are usually very good about it. credit cards and line of credit require a minimun monthly payment, but I have found, when I call and explain the situation, MOST companies will give you a payment holiday at least once a year. Hope this helps.

At least you all have your health :) and one of the cutiest puppies I have ever seen ;)
Don't worry things will get better, spring is coming, the beautiful flowers will soon be blooming!!
I do hope you feel better soon, :grouphug: ((((raingirl)))
anytime you want to talk just pm me !!

glasslass
March 28th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Raingirl, it sounds like a scam to me too. Don't be depressed. Be grateful you weren't able to participate! I'm sure you're much better off!

raingirl
March 28th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I did some research on the net and it is a total scam.

All Seasons Travel they are called. here is their rip off report: http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff99978.htm

I feel so burned out lately. No money makes life boring. At least I will have some (A little) by Friday. Grrr...I don't regret taking a risk with this new job, as the old job was too much stress...but if I don't start something soon, I will go stir crazy!

goldenblaze
March 28th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I had the same call at my house close to weeks ago telling me the same thing....I won this trip... winning to me means they pay for eveything that is a win. I hung up but before doing so I said no thanks I don't fly. :)

raingirl
March 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Here is another site. EXACTLY the same as what they told me. Won a trip to Florida, and Bahamas, Mexico and Los Vegas. Wow. Now I feel better!!

http://www.wnbc.com/askasa/4284068/detail.html

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I just wanted to say that being a student for the past 3 years, I know what being broke is and my rule is that if everything will be ok in 6 months and this problem won't be a problem then, you should try not to devote too much time on it now...

Schwinn
March 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think it's a scam as far as a way to defraud you. I think it is a scam in that they want to suck you into a sales pitch. I don't think it's worth it, anyway.

As for your bills, two things. One, as long as you pay something, they aren't allowed to report you delinquent to the credit bureau. Also, contact them. When I was in banking, the most important thing I stressed to clients having money issues was keep in contact with the companies, and make realistic commitments. If you don't they have to assume you are just another dead-beat deciding not to pay. That being said, the major cards don't get too update or usually don't report if it is one or two days. It's the other ones you have to worry about, like Sears, for example. They seem to report if you are 30 seconds late. Having looked at hundreds of credit bureaus, I used to pretty much ignore the 30 day lates on Sears, if the other cards were fine.

Lizzie
March 29th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I guess I missed something--when does your new job start?

It really is crumming when there's no money--but like someone already said, you have your health and the cutest furbaby to keep you company! A lot of people have far less..

It's hard to think that way when you're in it, but it never hurts to give it a try!

Copper'sMom
March 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Raingirl,
I too went to the All About Pets Show on Friday. My fiance filled out a couple of ballots. Today, someone called his cell saying he won a trip yada yada yada. It was an automated service(thank god) and if we were interested to press 9. I hung up right away. I agree with Schwinn that it wasn't to take your $$$ but do a sales pitch (waste your time). The ballots didn't ask for your credit card number did they??

If they call back, tell them to remove you from their callers list! Don't worry, I'm sure your financial situation is safe.

raingirl
March 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys. No, the ballot didn't ask for my credit card number! Besides, I wouldn't have completed it if it did!

I wish I could agree to pay something but I literally have negative cash. I didn't know I overdrew until yesterday, as a cheque came out that I had written last month that I thought already came out (for dog training). Right now I am paying fees on my overdrawn account!

My new job hasn't officially started, but I am getting paid (kinda hard to explain). I didn't get paid for the first three weeks I was off though.

My problem is my student loans and rent. Those are ones I have to pay in full right away.

Trinitie
March 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Reminds me of when my father won a "diamond" ring from a draw he entered. The diamond was free, but you had to have the ring made to hold it!
He told them not to bother, he'd bring the diamond into a jeweller here to have it mounted. He just said "send me the stone". He never got the stone. I think that was 35 years ago. :p

Or the coupons for free dinners I was offered. All I had to do was buy the booklet for $20, and I'd get the dinners for free. :rolleyes:

Raingirl, you did the right thing by tossing it. Anytime you have to pay ANYTHING for a prize, it's not a good thing. Especially if you have to provide a CC number. Bad news right there!