Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Attack Cat

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Charlie is being a little bugger. A couple days ago I was sitting on the couch with my arms crossed, with Charlie laying on me. I moved my arm to my side without touching him or bugging him, and apparently he didn't like that. He flipped over and wrapped all 4 legs around my arm, dug his claws in and sunk his teeth into my arm! He drew blood through my thick heavy sweat shirt! What do I do in this situation? I grabbed him by the scruff to get him off of me, and put him on the floor. He comes back in a couple mins like nothing happened. This is not unusual behavior for him. It happens all the time. Somethimes I think he is out to teach me a lesson, and sometimes I think he is playing. He about 2 years old, and a big cat.
What do I do in this situation and how can I teach him to stop?
Thanks
Sarah

Eleni
March 28th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I had a cat who would attack my feet when I sat on the sofa to watch tv or read,

eventually what i did, to save my poor feet is i got a pray water bottle and sprayed her lightly with water each time she attacked my feet.

eventually she decided my feet werent worth getting wet over and gave up.

Perhaps keep a spray bottle handy by the sofa for when your cat gets a bit too feisty and give it a try see if it works.

Eleni

GsdDiamond
March 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Is Charlie fixed?

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Is Charlie fixed?

The people I got him from say yes, and our old vet said he thinks so but cant really tell (checking with his finger in Charlies bottom), but I still have my doubts. We got him shaved and it looked like he may have something down below, but Im not sure what he should look like before or after. Ive read some posts of what unfixed males are like, and he sometimes acts like them.

Shannon83
March 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM
He being fixed or not doesn't matter when it comes to problems like this, if you haven't used a water bottle then see if your vet maybe able to help.

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I have a water bottle on hand for his scratching the furniture, and I spray the door (not him) when he wont stop crying to get out and that works wonders, so Im sure it will help. Its also wierd that he will only hurt me. Graydon (the bf) can pet his tummy and everything, if Charlie doesnt like it he will leave, If I move an inch and he doesnt approve he will attack me! I will keep the bottle on hand, thanks!

Shannon83
March 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
My cat thumbs will only bit me but not my bf. I think he just doesn't like me.

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
My cat thumbs will only bit me but not my bf. I think he just doesn't like me.

Charlie hates my bf, always has (It started with just me and Charlie, and he liked it like that!) I feed him, cuddle him, everything! He wont go near bf unless its to play with the string. He plots his attacks against me! I can see him out of the corner of my eye, waiting for the perfect time to jump up and claw and bite me. Could he still be mad at me for having the bf move in and adopting Belle? That was over 4 months ago!

Shannon83
March 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Could be the reason why his being like that, we adopted out my cat dukes sister nearly two weeks ago and he won't stop going after me or my bf.

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Could be the reason why his being like that, we adopted out my cat dukes sister nearly two weeks ago and he won't stop going after me or my bf.

They seem to enjoy holding grudges!

Shannon83
March 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yup and all you can do is hope they get over it.

GsdDiamond
March 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM
It sounds to me like Charlie's not fixed. You can tell if a male is fixed by the lack of "marbles" in their nether regions. :D The little pockets of fur, that are left, disappear over time or just become tiny little pebbles. Having a neutered male is much better than having a male that's not. They seem to not be as "angry" as a cat who's fixed. I don't know too many fixed males who attack for no reason.

It also sounds like he's really pissed at you! My dad could also pet the cat in what ever manner he wanted, and the cat would lay there and take it because DAD said to. Sounds like the cat will listen to your BF better than you too. He's angry at you because of the changes in your home that YOU could have prevented. Use the water bottle on him when he attacks you. If it works for every thing else, it'll work on him biting you. Just be prepared to block him from jumping at your face. I've seen many an angry cat do that too!

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I think this is a combination of stress due to your bf moving in and the "naughty boy" thing that many young tom cats have. Why does Charlie hate your bf?

Stress is probably the main reason for his attacks on you. Re-directed aggression is a common thing in cats and it serves to release tension.

I suggest you get him some catnip toys, and try some Rescue remedy to mellow him out a bit. When you see he is winding up for an attack - lashing tail, rippling skin, flattened ears, diffuse it by throwing him a toy. Cats meet aggresssion with aggression, so never punish, yell or hit.

If he was intact, you'd likely know it as the smell would drive you out of the house.;)

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 02:08 PM
It sounds to me like Charlie's not fixed. You can tell if a male is fixed by the lack of "marbles" in their nether regions. :D The little pockets of fur, that are left, disappear over time or just become tiny little pebbles.

This is where im not sure if he has marbles or pebbles! I think my best bet would be to shave him again (right before summer) and take him to my new vet. I really dont think he is fixed either, Ive been getting the run around from his last owners for almost a year now.

Thanks for your help,

chico2
March 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
There is a big difference in a male who is fixed and one who is not,if he is fixed,the jewels look like two buttons,if not,you can clearly see his hanging jewels :D

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I think this is a combination of stress due to your bf moving in and the "naughty boy" thing that many young tom cats have. Why does Charlie hate your bf?

Stress is probably the main reason for his attacks on you. Re-directed aggression is a common thing in cats and it serves to release tension.

I suggest you get him some catnip toys, and try some Rescue remedy to mellow him out a bit. When you see he is winding up for an attack - lashing tail, rippling skin, flattened ears, diffuse it by throwing him a toy. Cats meet aggresssion with aggression, so never punish, yell or hit.

If he was intact, you'd likely know it as the smell would drive you out of the house.;)

Charlie is a scardy cat, he grew up with 2 out of contol, undisciplined boys. So any sounds and hes under the bed hiding. I think he hates my bf because he now has to share everything. (Couch, bed,etc) and hes a big guy who stomps when he walks and yells when he talks compared to me whos soft spoken, I think it scares him a bit. Ive tried to have him lighten his step and soften his voice but he looks and sounds rediculous and can never remember anyway. Charlie is doing much better and is much braver but still uneasy.

Catnip doesn't effect him at all :sad: but I will try giving him a toy when hes ready to hurt me. It is obvious when hes going to so it shouldn't be a problem.

There is no bad smells so thats a plus!

Thanks
Sarah

SarahLynn123
March 28th, 2005, 02:21 PM
There is a big difference in a male who is fixed and one who is not,if he is fixed,the jewels look like two buttons,if not,you can clearly see his hanging jewels :D

From what I remember he has buttons! His hair has grown though and totally covered the area. I will know for sure when it gets hot out and I take him in again. But I remember buttons!
Thanks for clearing this up for me!
Sarah