Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collars on Cats

Rita
March 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I am hoping to start keeping collars on our Boyz. With the weather turning nicer I am afraid that they may sneak out the door sometime ... my F-I-L lives with us and has a dog that he lets out regularly but doesn't always pay attention to who may be at his feet by the door :( The Boyz are microchipped/tattoed/licensed but I would still feel better if they had their collars on with an ID tag.
Anyways, my problem is trying to get them used to wearing their collars. I've read that you should break them in a bit at a time, so we have started doing that (starting at 15 - 20 mins a day then increasing time).
I am also not sure if the collars should be snug or loose. We have the 'quick release' type collars for them so that if they do get caught on something the collars would snap open and not strangle them. I don't want to put them on too snug, but if they are too loose they tend to bite at them!
Does anybody else keep collars on their cats? If so, how 'snug' are they?
Any suggestions would be great appreciated :confused:

chico2
March 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM
My cats do not wear their collars inside,there is no chance they would sneak out.I take them outside with me every day and then they have collars on,it's gotten to the point they wait for their collars,knowing we are going outside.
As for how tight,you are supposed to be able to get your thumb in between,too tight will probably bother them,especially if they have them on all the time.

Shamrock
March 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
After having a cat slip out and disappear for six agonizing days (got him back)..all three of my cats now wear collars with personalized id tags.
They adjusted fine to them, and wear them all the time. I comb my cats every day..(long-haired) so this give me a chance to check them to sure they are not irritating the skin around the neck.
As for the tightness.. I keep mine fairly loose. I dont want it to be restricting.
I read somewhere that you should be able to put your fingers under the collar easily.
It should not be so loose that it can slip off their head or move around a lot either, of course.
Also, if your cats are big climbers.. a looser collar is more likely to get caught on things - the big danger with any cat collar. :(

I think if you just try a few varieties of adjustments, you will find the right one for your kitty that seems 'right".

Rita
March 27th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Well, we've tried a few different "adjustments" but the Boyz really don't like their collars on. Today we loosened them a wee bit (not enough to slip over their heads) and our little Sam was biting at his and got his bottom jaw stuck behind the collar :eek: We managed to get it off fairly easy, but it still freaked me out.
After many cuddles :grouphug: and apologies :sorry: :sad: Sam was O.K. :thumbs up , but it still scared me enough to not want to put collars on them at all.
If it was just Hubby and I that opened doors I wouldn't be overly concerned about them getting out as we are pretty diligent about keeping an eye on them. It's my 83 yo F-I-L that may not always be so attentive :mad:
Well, I guess we'll just have to tighten the collars a bit and keep trying :rolleyes:
We have become so attached to our 3 little furbabies that the thought of any of them possibly getting out and away from us terrifies me. We are going to remind F-I-L to be extremely careful when opening doors.

CyberKitten
March 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM
My little one wears her collar almost all the time - I too am taking no chances. She goes outside ONLY with her leash and harness which she does not mind at all. She has ben wearing both since she was a tiny kitten and I never went thru any probs with her not linkg it. How old are your kitties?

I too groom her daily - even tho Siamese have thin coats. She just likes it and grroming is a great way to bind - my late bunny loved it as well. It is tight to get my thumb in and occasionally she gets out of it, sigh! But she - like Chico's cats - hates the outdoors. That said, I have too many tales of cats who hated going outdoors who were spooked by something and paniced, bolted out the door. So I am supercautious.

I think it is better to be safe than sorry - I regard her collar in the same wasy i regard a seatbelt, absolutely necessary.

Rita
March 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM
The Boyz just turned 2 .... we adopted them last July when they were approx 16 mths. We haven't had collars on them yet, but I am starting to notice with the warmer weather starting that they are a little more curious around open doors than they usually are.
I agree about the collar/seatbelt comparison ... it just brought me to tears today when Sam got his bottom jaw stuck :sad: which makes it very difficult to want to put a collar on him again.
We'll wait a few days ... let us all calm down ... then we'll try again (fingers crossed!)

chico2
March 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM
One of my cats did exactly the same thing once and it is scary...it's of course easier if you can start them from kittens on,like I did and probably CK.
Maybe you should put the collars on them and then distract them with something,like treats or play with them,so they forget about the collars.
Mine knows the collars mean we are going outside,so they happily stick out their necks :D
Just don't leave them alone,if they are still trying to squirm out of the collars,but I am sure you know that.

Lissa
April 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
My siamese cat wear her harness and only goes outside for walks or when I can sit outisde with her. She has always worn her harness and she took to it without a problem because she thinks she's a dog. However, when I put a collar on her for fun she freaked out because the bell was different then the jingle her harness made (and because it was right by her ear instead of dangling around her chest).
It's best if you can start putting collars and harnesses and using a leash or tie out while they are young so it seems as natural for them as possible. I think with time, any cat (except very nervous one's) can get used to wearing a collar/harness.
With regards to tightness...cats can be masters of escape. If my kitty gets tangled and I don't untangle her fast enough she will roll over and pull until she slips the harness OR until she is wearing the harness upside down!! Cats will be Cats!!!
Here's a shot of Minnow with her harness upside down!

CyberKitten
April 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
My Siamese cutie also managed to get out of a harnass once too but it was a figure 8 harnass and I think those are less secure than the other ones. She has never wanted or tried to get out of her current harness. I just upgraded her to a new "cat" harness - the last one being a kitten harness. She is a Seal Point wedgie girl so she is on the small side. She likes the new harness tho! (and is not keen to go out). She gets lots of activity accompaanying me on "rounds", lol

Had to add - as I was typing Ms. "I want attention NOW" leaped onto the TV -which is rather high (a typical Siamese ploy as you probably know, lol). She is such a purrcharacter. She purrs when she eats, She purrs when she plays, She purrs when she sleeps - she is one happy cat all the time it seems - except when I am not looking at her. She was visiting my mom today and mom said she demanded a visitor pick her up. (She is used to being fussed over by my pediatric friends). I know she'd do well in show -and she is show quality - but oh my!! What to do!

Eleni
April 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
my cats dont wear anything, but they are strictly indoors and arent interested in even my balcony

the spoiled creatures they are :)

Eleni

cmh
April 11th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I have 5 cats and they all wear collars. I make sure that I can fit two fingers between the collar and their neck comfortably so they wont choak. I also use the quick release collars just in case they do get caught on something. My cats are strickly indoor cats but I always take caution just in case they do run out. Mine are all micro chipped so if they get lost someone will know they have an owner. It took my cats about a week to get used to the collars but I did it to where they just wore it all the time to get used to it. Now they have been wearing the collars for about 4 months and they are fine with them. They may take them off ever so often but they seem to be okay when I put them back on. Good luck with your kitties.

.................................................. .................................................. ....
My kitties

Lily Mae - 12 years old ( Calico) :angel:

Jingles - 1 1/2 years old (red and siver tabby) :queen:

White Sox - 11 months old (siamese mix) :rolleyes:

Sylvester - 11 months old ( siamese mix) :cool:

Petry - 11 months old (siamese mix) :confused:

chico2
April 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
cmh,I don't think we've seen pics of all your kitties and you have 5(wow!)love to see them.... :love:

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Eleni, just one short word of caution. There are thousands of stories out there of cats who were spooked by something and flew out of a house they'd never ventured out of before. It's scary! Thus, mine has her collar on ALWAYS, a harness when I do take her outdoors - not often (she dislikes cold weather) - and is microchipped and has a name tag. Still, I worry!

glasslass
April 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
This really brought a lump to my throat! Puss always wore her break-away red collar with her red heart-shaped ID tag. Over the years she lost a few of them but I was just glad she hadn't gotten caught on anything. I just always kept a spare ready. She liked her collar and purred when I put it back on. When I had her cremated, they gave us this little velvel pouch with her ashes and also returned her collar. It's fastened around that little velvet pouch on her favorite perch. One of these days, I have to bury her ashes in the backyard by her DenDen3. I couldn't go out into the yard while my ankle was in a cast. Just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet since recovering. :sad:

Eleni
April 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
im on the fourth floor of my apartment building, even if they got out they couldnt get past the fire doors,

they are also all microchipped

Eleni

CyberKitten
April 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Never underestimate the ability of a cat to get past anything!! It is never good to be overconfident where the care of one's beloved pet is concerned. It is unlikely anything will occur but it is when we assume we have every base covered that something happens. Call me overcautious but I'd prefer a safe and healthy pet to a spooked and lost one!

mona_b
April 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I also use the break away collar.Winnie never had a problem when I put one on her.She was about 6 months at the time.I just couldn't get one to fit her before then.As for Casper,we are still trying to get one on him.He HATES it.We have tried everything.We tried it on him for 5 mins first,then 10 mins.He was actually climbing the walls.He was growling even.We gave it a break for a while and tried it again.Same thing.They are both indoor cats.But I got a tag made for Casper stating he is deaf.I need to get him used to this collar one way or another.He is very stubborn.LOL

With Winnies collar,I can get my one finger in it.I figure if you can actually keep turning the collar and it's not snug,then it's ok. :)