Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

any fishermen out there?

raingirl
March 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I want to get back into fishing. I haven't really done much since I was a kid with my dad.

Anyone have any advise? I need to buy a new rod and such, and don't want to spend that much money as it will just be for casual pleasure fishing a few times a year.

niagarapets
March 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM
My DH is a fisherman and he suggested you take a peek at: www.ontariofishing.net

There are also some regional fishing sites/boards you can look for too. If want to tell me what area you are in I can send you more links.

Amy :-)

CyberKitten
March 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Talk about culture shock (across provinces, lol) - I live in the Maritimes so when I hear "fisherman". I think of one of my best friends who fishes lobster (and is one of YYs fav people - I wonder why, lol - L provides YY with her fav shellfish in the manner she feels accorded to a feline of her regal stature, lol). L and her hubby own several boats and hundreds of traps. (They lost some in Hurricaine Juan tho). I do not think rods and reels but I have fished with them. I own a woodlot and have a river running thru it and there are fish there - not as many as before when there was no nearby dam tho, sigh!

niagarapets
March 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
...lol

DH and I are from the Maritimes too-- New Glasgow, NS :thumbs up

And although fisherman to us usually means the same thing, as it does to you, we've been in Upper Canada long enough to know what the locals mean :party:

Amy ;)

chico2
March 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Raingirl...I am one of those people who feel sorry for the fish and the worm :rolleyes: I used to drive my son down to Lake Ontario(dirty!)and he would stay over night catch big fish and give them to other fishermen.
I think I have a dozen reels and poles in my basement,since my son now lives in Alberta,but I am not allowed to give them away or sell them :mad:

greaterdane
March 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I've fished since I was 2 years old. My father always took my sister and I on fishing trip to Lake Nippising and Stoney Lake. Cedar strip boat the whole 9 yards. I still fish today but just casual fishing, and we also make the trek up to Port Hope for the beggining of trout season. (its coming up) I would suggest heading to Canadian tire to get your gear, or even walmart. Make sure to get a good quality pole just in case you catch the big one, you dont want it to snap. I use a rhino rod because I am not miss delicate and tend to run into things while walking and talking. The people at Canadian tire are very helpful. Of course I live with mr fishermen who goes as far as making his own reels lol. I will ask him when he comes home what you should pick up to start. He'll surely lead you in a better direction then me. :crazy: