Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fines on property

raingirl
March 26th, 2005, 09:43 PM
We just found out that dogs aren't allowed to pee or poop on the property of our building. We are supposed to walk them off the property first.

Problem is, off the property is at least 50 feet away. And all the other dogs pee right in the front of the doorway, and unless they remove the smell, every dog that goes by there will stop and pee.

I don't think that they can ban us from peeing pooping, can they? Wouldn't it have to be a city bylaw or something?

Eleni
March 27th, 2005, 02:20 AM
I dont know,

my apartment building just insists that we clean up the poop,

im sure they prefer the dogs go elsewhere but they cant really control where the dog squats.

but if its stated in your lease then it would be a rule they can enforce, if not im not sure there is much they can do. However I could be wrong.

Eleni

raingirl
March 27th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Well, it's not in our lease, it's not posted anywhere, and it's only other residents that say it. I am going to ask the landlord this week.

The super's wife said that there is a $35 fine if they poop on the property and we don't clean up. It's other residents that say "don't let the super or landlord catch you dog peeing there" or other comments like that. Then last night someone said that they aren't allowed to pee on the property.

It could just be stupid people freaking us out for no reason. There are a lot of people in our building who don't like dogs and freak out around our dog.

Bearsmom
March 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Raingirl, I think the operative directive is that "if you don't clean up after them", which is pretty much a standard thing. They can't dictate where a dog is going to pee, sorry, but that's just unrealistic.

I just got a visual of all these dog owners RUNNING full speed across the lawn holding their poor pooches ensuring the dog doesn't pee there. Teeheeheeee.

Dahlia
March 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM
50 ft isn't really that far away. I take my pup at least that far away from my door to go potty to keep from having poop right where people will step in it. I keep her in my yard when I take her out, and every few days I go out and pick up the poop. I can't imagine how they could say you can't let your dogs pee or poop on the property, though. Wouldn't that mean you have to take them to someone else's property? That seems like it could cause more problems. Maybe you should check with your landlord and find out what the actual rule is.

I don't live in an apartment, but yesterday we helped my mom move and she lives in an apartment. You have to take your dogs at least 50 ft away from the doorway there because there's a courtyard there and I think it would be really gross to let your dog do its business right there, and if they pee there it would kill the grass. They have the courtyard area nicely landscaped. Anyway, I took Sophie to the grass that surrounds the parking area, which apparently is where everyone takes their dogs, and I couldn't find one spot that wasn't covered in dog poop, from a very large dog. I hate that. The least they could do is clean it up. I don't want my pup running around in other dogs' poop.