Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nearly housebroken

Eleni
March 26th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Sammy has been going to the washroom outside all except 1 accident a day

he pees in the house once a day, rarely more we never scold him, and we have been taking him out more frequently and giving him a cookie when he does go outside

so is this on par for a pup nearly 17 weeks old??
its a bit frustrating because he is SO close this is the first dog ive housetrained so im never sure what to expect

and thoughts are of course appreciated

Eleni

Trinitie
March 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Wow! 17 weeks and doing so well. That's super. Don't count on being 100% trained though. Pups have a way of "forgetting" the training at the first deviation of their training. Keep up what you're doing now and try to wean off the cookies, but do it slowly. Make them smaller and smaller, and as time goes on eventually there'll be no need for treats.

You're on the right track, but don't think this pup is completely housetrained already. Accidents are bound to happen, just be aware of it and you'll keep doing just fine.

SarahJane
March 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Herbie just turned 20 weeks old and *knock on wood* something seems to have clicked... he is being so good with his housebreaking! At 17 weeks, he was about the same as Sammy - pretty good except for one pee in the evening that we would never get on time! Pretty hard to get him out there as soon as he peed too.. we are 4 floors up in an apt building, no elevator... but we still persisted and seem to be succesful! He's even holding it in now when we are "inconsistent" with our frequency in taking him out (ie, waiting longer than every 2 hours). Of course we still expect accidents, but sounds like both Sammy and Herbie are on the right track! Good luck! :party:

Dahlia
March 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
That's about how Sophie's doing, too. She's about 11 wks old, and she might have one accident per day and usually it's around the time I'm trying to cook dinner and don't take her out soon enough, or I miss it when she wanders off. I don't use treats, though, just praise. I think that is really good. I've tried housetraining 2 other dogs before and after months of trying neither of them got it so they ended up being outside dogs. One was a boxer and the other was a lab mix.

Princesss04
March 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM
You all are doing great. That sounds like my Chino as well. He was little when he would go with an accident. But we did have one on Sarurday. We were working on the cabinets and were busy and I guess he had to go and I did not realize it and he went down in the basement. But that is okay as he is still little and it Will happen. LOL My vet told me not to think they are 100% potty trained until at least a year old. So I think we are all doing okay. Good job mommies you all need pats on the back . :D :grouphug: