Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup sleeps on my bed

claudia666
March 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi,
Since day one when we got our pup Jet she slept in her dog house. But one day she decided she doesn't want to sleep in it anymore, so at night she would run up the stairs and whine at my door until i would let her in and sleep with me. We put up baracades at the stair way but she gets past everything. I told my mom to get a baby gate but she said no. What can i do to get her to sleep in her house again?

Lucky Rescue
March 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM
What kind of dog house is this, and where is it? Puppies don't like being alone, and since you already let her sleep in your bed, naturally she wants to do it all the time.

Can you put her house next to your bed? Or get her a bed of her own and put it on the floor next to your bed. Being close to you will comfort her.

CyberKitten
March 26th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I've always allowed my dogs (when I had a dog) sleep to sleep in my bed - especially when they are puppies and need to be near their ne "mommy". If the doghouse is far away, I would indeed find something that you could put close to your bed. Especially where she has alreay slept with you, she is probably wondering why she can't anymore. Poor baby! No wonder she is whining! I am suggesting you are a bad mommy, just that she needs consistency.

claudia666
March 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I am suggesting you are a bad mommy, just that she needs consistency.

Excuse me? that was uncalled for. It's not your place to say that i'm a bad mother to my pup, you don't even know me.

SnowDancer
March 26th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Sorry, but I had to laugh. Couldn't imagine my dog sleeping anywhere else but in my bed - frankly I am lucky there is room for me. If you must, your best bet is to put the dog's house or a dog bed next to your bed, but do I think for a minute that the dog will stay put - no. As far as a baby gate goes, a baby gate couldn't contain my 9 lb. Dachshund - even after surgery -where there is a will, there is a way. I tried said baby gates when my 19 lb. one year old Eskimo weighed 11 lbs. Dream on - swung himself up and then tumbled head first to the floor. Unfortunately, he would do same with a 5 foot fence, so not likely to be happening at our house. I guess Plan B would be to encourage your pup to sleep with someone else in your house. But then, your feelings would be hurt.

chico2
March 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Claudia,Cyberkitten just forgot the NOT in front of your NOT a bad mommy!!!

chico2
March 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Personally I feel very comforted having all my three cats in bed with me and most dogs in this Forum sleep in their owners bed.
I am sorry you don't share that feeling,but his bed beside your bed might work.Puppys get lonely :sad: Is he a small or big dog,maybe you need a bigger bed :D

CyberKitten
March 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Oops, I knew one of these days my typos would get me in trouble, lol I did mean to say I was ot suggesting you are not a bad mommy, just that she (the puppy) requires consistency. Sorry for the confusion. Thx Chico for pting that out, :)

And I do agree with Chico. I cannot imagine having a puppy and making it sleep anywhere but my bed. Even my nephew dog who is big chocolate lab sleeps with me and my Siamese cat. Fun fun fun, lol

Safyre
March 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM
OK, again I have a different persepctive than most. I hate having my pets ont he bed with me, none of them sleep with me unless I am sick. Then I don't care.
Justice, my dog, comes into my room at 11 pm. If i am on the comp, she lys on the bed. As soon as I turn off them onitor, she knows I am gettig into bed, and jumps down into her crate.
I agree with the advice to put her home beside your bed so that she feels that she is near you. Teach her 'bed time' and place her in her bed. If she jumps up with you, tell her 'no' nicely, and then 'bed time' and put her back in her bed (thats if you are not using a closed crate) she might whine a lil, but just talk to her so she knows you are there.

Dahlia
March 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I just started putting my puppy in her crate next to my bed so she wouldn't cry all night. It works out great. She knows I'm right there and she sleeps all night now without crying. I would love to have her in bed with me but with my husband in there and the baby half the time, there's just not enough room for her to be there once she's grown, so I don't want to start it now, besides I don't think my hubby would appreciate the dog being in bed with us. It's bad enough when the baby does it.

twinmommy
March 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I kicked my dogs out of my bed when I was about 7 months pregnant with the twins. I could barely sleep with that kind of weight on, never mind two big dogs in bed too!! :rolleyes:

Since then, we had alpha issues with one dog so the bed was the first priviledge "gone". And I gotta say as much as I miss cuddling, the shedding in my bed was driving me crazy, so good riddance!!!

Cuddling is now reserved for couches, only if we are behaving!!!! ;)

claudia666
March 26th, 2005, 10:40 PM
thanks for all the advice. i will put her blankey and pillow beside my bed. The reason i want her to sleep in her own bed is because very early in the morning she gets up and started nibbeling my ear and it hurts! Also she sheds in my bed and it makes me itchy. :thumbs up thanks again.

P.S.
:sorry: CyberKitten for getting so pissed at you. :sad:

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 12:10 AM
What about teaching her the command "Floor"? We let our dogs sleep with us whenever they feel the need (they still have nightmares and anxiety attacks occasionally...) but if it gets too hot or uncomfortable, we just say floor and they know they have to get down.

For my doggies, sleeping on the bed is a privilege when we are in it. They ask before they come up and have to get down when we want them to. When we are not on the bed, they can do whatever they wish. I think it is a good way to allow us some cuddly sleeping companions without confusion about who is the alpha in the house.