Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Uprising in the household

wjranch
March 26th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Well, we went out to play in the ball field yesterday. Took both dogs for a run, they seemed to be enjoying themselves very much. :) Then (for reasons I didn't see but, they did) they get into this full blown scrap! I got ahold of the pups leash (he runs on the long line still) and pulled him out....only to have the older female continue on at him ... I did get them seperated, but, not before she managed to puncture his throat!! I've cleaned it and checked it out, it's fine.
But, WOW where did such drive come from?? She has been alpha since he came home, but, something one of them did set it off and niether was backing down. I think because he is hitting maturity he's more willing to stand up to her... now i'm worried they are gonna rip into each other at any time and get serious injuries!
I hate to think i'll have to crate them both now...they have full run of the house at this point. But, I'm not willing to risk this kind of thing. Anyone with suggestions??
Check my intro page for info on dogs :D

Prin
March 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I had that problem with my 2 dogs in the beginning. My big guy was always submissive and all of a sudden he started to pull some stunts-- What I did at first was reinforce the order, by feeding the little one first, giving her the cookies first, etc etc. Also I showed them after they fought that I was stronger than them and what goes on between them is irrelevant because I am alpha. Also, I decided that I would not tolerate ANY aggression-- no growling especially.

When a trainer told me, they shouldn't fight because YOU should be the alpha without question, I totally didn't believe him because there is ALWAYS one superior to the other. Now, two years later, you really can't tell who is the dominant one. It's such a give and take between the two of them.

You have to be way more forceful when you have two dogs living together because they become a pack. Like I said on another thread, you have to be stronger with them than they are with each other. You have to really enforce that no aggression will be tolerated.

It'll be harder because I assume the girl is fixed but the dobie won't be...

anniebananie
March 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM
My two females are a bit like this. The older (JRT) has always been Alpha - but the quieter one (also JRT) has a way of winding her up - by staring at her. It's very funny to watch - but the results are not so nice to see - plus the younger one wins every physical battle. I think at this time of year they all get a little *pissy* about things. Spring really must be around the corner. The cats are the same. :ca:

Lucky Rescue
March 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Most adult dogs are very tolerant of puppies and are always alpha over them, but your Dobie is coming up to sexual maturity now, and his intact status is probably a factor in this fight. Although Dobies are not bred to fight, they are not likely to back down either.

Separate them when you go out, when they eat and when they have treats or bones - especially anthing that is "high value" like meaty bones.

As for the puncture wound, it may not be fine. Puncture wounds often appear to be minor on the surface, but there can be major damage under the skin.

wjranch
March 26th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Most adult dogs are very tolerant of puppies and are always alpha over them, but your Dobie is coming up to sexual maturity now, and his intact status is probably a factor in this fight. Although Dobies are not bred to fight, they are not likely to back down either.

Separate them when you go out, when they eat and when they have treats or bones - especially anthing that is "high value" like meaty bones.

As for the puncture wound, it may not be fine. Puncture wounds often appear to be minor on the surface, but there can be major damage under the skin.

I'm sure it's his maturity, he always backs down to her ;) well used to anyway.
I already seperate them for anything special, always have :D niether one resource gaurds, but, why take the chance? ... as for the wound, really it's fine... I've flushed it and it isn't even all the way through the hide.. the female has a broken canine (been that way for years) and it popped through his dewlap when I pulled them apart. Not serious, although an eyeopener for me...they will not play in the field off leash again..you can bet on that :thumbs up

SnowDancer
March 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Happy to hear that puncture wound is not serious. I admit to being concerned when I read first post as a few years ago a large breed dog picked up my mini Dachshund by his neck and tried to shake him to death - with canine tooth firmly dug in. I took my dog to the vet immediately - she said it probably saved his life. The memory of trying to get that dog to release my little big guy will be with me forever. Hope thing settle down again at your house. For the first time in 30 years we have only one dog and one cat. When the cat passes we will have just the dog - as much as Eskimos love their own cats, the feeling is not mutual!

Lucky Rescue
March 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
why take the chance?

:thumbs up