Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help with toilet training!

moo-goo
March 26th, 2005, 01:07 AM
i've just adopted a year old dog, who had been left to wander around by her old owners. because of this she has learned to do her business when she needs to - wherever she is! i've only had her home for one day and she's already peed twice, aswell as twice outdoors on her walks.

other than taking her out more is there anything i can do? i've started to use a key word when she goes on walks, but i think that will take some time to get through.

any help would be great! :confused:

wjranch
March 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Your doing the right things... but, i would suggest getting a crate to help at this point in the game. A 1 year old dog with no leadership is not going to have any house manners. It's up to you to show her what is expected of her. Anytime she is not in the crate you must be able to watch her like a hawk! As soon as you see signs of her needing to go, get her outside quick! She can't hold it yet, she's never had to train her bladder to wait...give her alittle time for this (probably quicker then most pups due to her age)
IF you miss her signs (they may be very subtle) and she starts to pee, yell NO, and carry her outdoors to finish up... (you may leave a pee trail all the way the first few times :) ) when she does finish, lots of praise and treats...and I'm sure the nieghbors would appreciate if you did a little happy dance too ;) Make it the most exciting thing she's every done! She will want to do that some more :thumbs up

sidenote * tailor the big NO according to her temperment...you don't want to turn it into submissive urination.. judge it yourself, you know her best

Good Luck, and kudos to you for giving her a nicer life :grouphug:

BMDLuver
March 26th, 2005, 08:36 AM
We have had several dogs come in that have been outdoor dogs. It has generally taken about one month to be totally clean in the house. It's a matter of diligence and watchfulness. We have not crated any of them during this time as we've found that they will just as happily pee in the crate not understanding the concept of a clean den. We never make a fuss when the dog has an accident in the house, just say the dog's name and no in a regular voice then put them outside. As most of these dogs have lacked attention, any big fuss, good or bad, is attention worth getting. We reward the outdoor successes with lots of praise and minimize the indoor accidents with very few words. Hope that made sense. :)

moo-goo
March 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
thank you both for your advice! i haven't been able to get a crate yet (i will have one in a couple weeks) but for now i have bought a baby gate, so that at least i can keep her in the kitchen - a makeshift crate! she's a very bright girl, and she seems to be getting better already. thanks again! :thumbs up

wjranch
March 30th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Excellent! I'm so glad things are working out for you both :D Keep up the good work :thumbs up