Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eating other dogs' feces....

Prin
March 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM
There is a lab at my dog park who eats some other dogs' poo-- not all, she's quite selective. Am I wrong or is the only way to prevent her from doing this putting her on the leash and monitoring and correcting her? I keep telling the guy that he has to correct her as she is doing it but he's a bit slow (he's over 80, I think...)... There is no other way, right? She's young and she's still not too good at coming when he calls her or on understanding "no"... I know she needs obedience training (really badly), but I just want to know what you all think just so I can know...

BMDLuver
March 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Might never correct her of this habit. If she's free and loose and sees a delectable on the ground she'll go for it, she's a lab. It really is a matter of her learning that the word no is the end of it. However, with an older owner, this may never happen as the old school never did training with their pets, it wasn't around to do, really. She needs to know that no, in any and all situations is the law and that respecting her owner is very worth leaving the delectable where it lies. Some dogs also grow out of this habit but it could be a matter of the type of food he is feeding versus what some of the other dogs are eating. A bit gross either way though, huh. :p

Lucky Rescue
March 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Dogs need to be taught the "Leave it!" command. Once they know it you can keep them from eating anything they find even if they are off leash.

Very easy command to teach and one of the first things I taught my dog. I was tired of losing anything that fell on the floor while I was cooking.:p

Prin
March 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks, all. It's just hard because like I said she isn't my dog, but I see her about an hour a day at the park. Personally I think it has something to do with her food. She's fed some sort of farm feed... I don't even think it is specifically made for dogs but the breeder told him to feed that... That mixed with a couple of dogs who don't get fed very high quality food, makes for a fun time at the park.

It's frustrating because I tell him what to do and he just doesn't do it. I just train her for myself now just to make it less unpleasant and to be sure to have a bit of control in the park in case there is a fight, and I can't stand by and watch as she devours things directly from the shoot...

jjgeonerd
March 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Has he tried putting Forbid on the dog's food? It worked great for Gabby when she went through that stage, and is pretty cheap. Vets and some dog food stores have it.

Prin
March 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
It's not my dog and the dog is eating only other dogs' poop...

matt
March 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM
It may indeed be from something lacking in the diet. I have read about this before. Yucky :yuck:

jjgeonerd
March 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Forbid works for eating other dog's poo...that was Gabby's problem.

"Leave it" is a great idea, but could be really hard to do and take a fair amount of time to perfect given the situation. Anyways...just an idea.

maddoxies
March 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I have not seen Forbid here (of course, we need that bilingual packaging). Has anyone seen this product in Ontario? My mini doxie eats other dogs feces too (never his own).

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
The this is, forbid only works if your dog is eating its own or if it's eating another dog in your home's feces (then you put it in the food of the one with the tasty feces...), but because it has to be digested to turn the feces bitter, you obviously can't put it in other people's dog's food... Or can you...

Dahlia
March 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Our neighbor's min pin poops in our yard and Sophie tries to eat it. I always have her on a leash, so I just pull her away from it and say NO and keep going. Friday when I was scooping up poop from my yard I picked up the neighbors' dog's poop and threw it in their yard. Childish, maybe but at the moment I didn't care. I don't let my dog poop in their yard. Sorry, off the subject a little, but it is really gross to see.

jjgeonerd
March 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM
The this is, forbid only works if your dog is eating its own or if it's eating another dog in your home's feces (then you put it in the food of the one with the tasty feces...), but because it has to be digested to turn the feces bitter, you obviously can't put it in other people's dog's food... Or can you...
Our dog was eating other dog's feces as well as her own. The natural pet food store recommended Forbid and it worked very well...hasn't had a bite of any (hers or others) since. :yuck: I found a website that said it works like Prin says...maybe she tried her own and thought it was so bad it turned her off to all others :confused: . Either way it worked.

The chain stores, such as PetsMart, also have products that you put into your dog's food. I forget what they're called, but my parents used a product from there and it also worked very well.

Avocado
March 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
pineapple can work as well. unsweetened canned pineapple has digestive enzymes that helpbreak down the food and make the poop less appealing to doggy. and is much cheaper than Forbid or any other product that you can buy at the petstore. i realise that this is not your dog but if this is a friend of yours this might be a helpful suggestion.

Prin
March 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The thing is this dog DOESN'T eat her OWN. She only eats others' feces. No matter how bad her own tastes, she will still eat the others'. Pineapple juice and forbid don't work for this.

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Goldengirl, forbid is sold here (in Ont) at Petsmart. Other people in our obedience class were apparently using it with good results.

MIA
March 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Often there is a reason for the poop eating and at times it can be something lacking in the diet... I taught my Doberman "yucky" aka dont' eat it! Rather than a leave it or drop it, it's a yucky. Leave it is for leaving me alone or someone else alone! So in my house yucky means we don't want to eat it. :crazy: