Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Airline Approved, IATA Approved...

r0amy0
March 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any strict guidelines to airline travel kennels?
Ive been trying to research for one properly, however some products say its airline approved, some even boast IATA stamped on it...
Does anyone know what is necessary?
I have a plastic Pet Taxi that looks like the Vari Kennels, however do not see a stamp of approal or anything on it. Does anyone know if there is anything that an airline is looking for that constitutes if a carrier is appproved or not?
or are these "airline approval" merely guidelines (pet carriers such as hard plastic, with ample ventilation etc..not just put in a cardboard/wooden box w/ holes..)
We're flying w/ 2 dogs domestically from Toronto to Newfoundland (CanJet), and they have to go by by cabin. We are still deciding on a travel kennel. We were going to have them carried on board, but one dog is slightly over the size limit to stow underneath the seat.

Please share experiences..

thx.

Prin
March 25th, 2005, 10:57 PM
That info wouldn't be on the canjet website? I don't know the dimensions...

greaterdane
March 25th, 2005, 11:56 PM
We flew a rescue puppy once to Vancouver. We purchased the crate at walmart and it was airline approved. They went by weight as to how big the kennel could be cost wise, when I gave them the weight they gave me the dimensions. I would reccomend the walmart kennels. Very afforadable and good for travel. The small was only $20.00 and they are certified for travel. Just give your airline a call, we used westjet and they were awesome with the dog, and only $110 to fly from ontario to BC.

SnowDancer
March 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
If you go to the airline's website it should provide all necessary information with respect to crate type required for in-cabin and cargo. Make sure your information is 100% accurate for your particular flights or you will have a problem at the airport. Always best to check directly with the source.

CyberKitten
March 26th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I know the Pet Taxis sold at WalMart are approved by Air Canada - not sure about other airlines. That was my first but then I went all out and bought a more expensive one.

r0amy0
March 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, but the Canjet website only describes the dimensions..not the brand, not the model etc..
so to my understanding, as long as it is Company Manufactured for a dog w/ the proper dimensions, then it should be okay. A Proper Travel Kennel is the key?

There isnt like a legal "seal of approval" to look for, or a certificate to present...

Maybe I only have to buy one, because I already have 1...I thought I might have to buy 2 more.