Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

finding breeder

raingirl
March 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I was wondering something. The rescue we got Odin from is sure he is pure bred. I was wondering if maybe he came from a reputable breeder and we could find more info about him. Would it be stupid to even try? What if he was from a good breeder and they wanted him back?

MegShawnMom
March 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM
What rescue group did you get Odie from and what breed did they say?

matt
March 25th, 2005, 06:26 PM
It is possible to find out some info. What breed? I wouldn't worry about the original breeder wanting the dog back.

MegShawnMom
March 25th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I'am surprised the rescue used the term 'pure breed', without proper reg. papers you have to use the term 'single breed'

CyberKitten
March 25th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Rescues often use the term purebred in advertising animals. Papers after all mean next to nothing!

raingirl
March 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I got him from a bulldog rescue called Fangs but no Fangs. He's an english Bulldog. I did some searches, but only found 3 breeders in Ontario.

Safyre
March 25th, 2005, 10:11 PM
you probably woulda said, but is he microchipped? have you had the vet check? seems stupid to ask but... just want to make sure.

Do you have his date of birth? ... did you get anything from the rescue to indicate that he was a purebred?

Prin
March 25th, 2005, 10:31 PM
All I know about this is that if you show up at a breeder with a dog that they can tell right away is not a pure bred dog, they won't talk to you much after that.

At the dog show here, I asked a few booths if they thought my big Boo looked like whatever breed they were selling, knowing he was a mutt, but hoping they would at least say something like "He's got a pointer's muzzle" or "he's got a newf tail". Instead I got "Why do you want to know?" When I answered, "Because I may want to look for another one like him," they replied "Why would you want another one of those ? I don't ask breeders about mutts anymore...

But maybe if it's a not-so-common breed like yours, you may get somewhere...

raingirl
March 26th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah. He's microchipped, but only recently. Oh yeah, he's been to the vet three times. The vet thinks he is pure.

We don't know his birth date and that's really why we want to find out more about him. They estimate he is about 18 months, give or take a year, so he could be less than a year, or closer to 3, who knows.

We love him just the same though. It's just that Bulldogs only live about 8 years, so we just want to make sure he gets the best life possible! I would love to know when to celebrate his bday though! The rescue we dealt with said he looks purebred, and she only deals in bulldogs. She has three of her own, and the foster has had them all her life. They said they couldn't see any other dog in him, and he looks to be 100% bulldog. With bulldogs, it would be hard if he was a mix to look like a bulldog still.

For all we know, he could have come from a puppy mill, so there would be no way to track, but it's worth asking anyway, right? I sent a few emails to a few places. THe CKC doesn't have any bulldog clubs listed on their site. I will continue to look.

Safyre
March 26th, 2005, 10:27 AM
not sure what to suggest ... never tried to look up info for a dog.

This is just my thought, most of the breeders I know have a clause that if you cannot take care of the dog any longer, the dog is to be returned to them, so that they can care for it/find another appropriate home. So I am hesitent to think that he might have come from a breeder. MY breeder checks up on all higs dogs, even babysitting some of them, so he would know if someone gave up one of his dogs.
Has anyone else heard of breeders doing that(check up's)? Or have I come across a small group?

matt
March 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I have not heard of many breeders actually checking up on a dog. Many , many dogs that come from breeders end up in rescue's and the breeder never has a clue. Breeder's do say they will take a dog back BUT honestly many never do sadly.
A Bulldog is rarely mixed due to the fact that they are challenged whelping a litter of their own size etc. One of the reason's that pups are expensive is because litters are usually small 1-4 pups and C- sections are common. This also jack's up the vet bills which get passed on to the client.

db7
March 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't bother checking with the registered kennels. If it was one of their dogs it would have been tattooed or chipped when it was a pup. Chances are you've got yourself a pet shop dog. In the unlikely case that it is a pedigreed dog a good breeder would probably be abe to tell from a picture if it was one of their dogs.

mona_b
March 28th, 2005, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't bother checking with the registered kennels. If it was one of their dogs it would have been tattooed or chipped when it was a pup.

This is so very true.

Odin is definately pure though.If I recall(I may be wrong)but isn't Odin's tail not docked properly?Not sure if it's Odin I'm thinking about.

He is probably the result of a BYB or even Puppymill....

Safyre,I know many breeders who do check up on their dogs.Mine still does.And everyone I know(family and friends) have their breeders still checking up also.

GsdDiamond
March 28th, 2005, 11:33 AM
A reputable breeder will register the pups with the CKC. Registered pups get tattoos in their ears that list the litter. For example: (not her real tattoo!) Diamond's tattoo is SAF12W. If the litter is registered, there'll be this tattoo. You should be able to call the CKC and tell them the circumstances of the tattoo....at the very least they should be able to tell you who the breeder is. Then, the rest is up to you!

mona_b
March 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Or like my dogs,theirs have been on the inside of the hind quarter.Not their ears. :)

I don't think Odin has a tattoo.

GsdDiamond
March 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Or like my dogs,theirs have been on the inside of the hind quarter.Not their ears. :)

I don't think Odin has a tattoo.

That's so true! Some dogs get tattoo in the most unusual places. A friend of ours has a Staf Terrier who's tattoo is in her inner thigh.

MegShawnMom
March 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
They would give a greyhound dog a tattoo on its ear.Whey the owners got rid of them they would kill the dog,cut the ear off.that way they couldn't trace them.
My old hound had a tattoo in his inner theigh as well,safe place Horses have theirs in the lower lip.
Ears are still the most common,after years they tend to fade, best to go micro.

maddoxies
March 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I nose printed my Kitty girl rather than put her thru tatooing (she was 8 weeks old, byb) Mind you that was 1977.
Would CKC be able to search nose prints now? Just a thought, I do get them occasionally, but try hard not to ;)

CyberKitten
March 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
nose print?

mona_b
March 29th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Nose Print?

I have never ever heard of that.And I do know that CKC has never done that before....Maybe I should bring that up in the next meeting.