Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spring Cleaning!!!!

Princesss04
March 24th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Just wanted to see how many of you did Spring Cleaning? And if so how many are finished and what do you all do? This is the first year I have had my own house (just married) so the first year I will get to "Spring clean" so I want to know what you all do to make your houses pretty! I clean mine alot but with two dogs you never can tell. LOL Need some ideas you all. :D :usa:

CyberKitten
March 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
What's spring cleaning, lol (Kidding!) Actually, spring cleaning came about in the 1800-1900's when most ppl relied on coal or some other dirty energy source and now -sans coal et al - we live in areas where there is no nasty buildup of black stuff in our homes. (We only have to fear nuclear power, electrical lines and other stuff but it *looks* clean, sigh!). That's where sping cleaning came in and also, when women tended to not work outside the home, it was something ppl did.

It is probably best to have a clean home year round and we'd all be healthier for it. I cannot claim to be Suzy Homemaker tho and my home gets a thorough cleaning when my mom comes to visit er do inspection, lol

Sneaky2006
March 25th, 2005, 03:15 AM
I did not do my spring cleaning yet but I am way over do for a good house cleaning!
What we normally call spring cleaning is cleaning of anything that doesn't get done on an everyday or weekly basis.
Like washing all windows inside and out, going through kitchen cabinets, it's also when you wash curtains and change from drapes, go through closets, put winter stuff away, get lighter clothing out... that's about all I can think of. A lot of what I said (like windows and curtains) should be done more than once a year but who the heck has time for that all the time??

Eleni
March 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM
i havent done mine yet, but plan on it on saturday

Eleni

crazyhorse
March 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I love spring cleaning .....I must be sick. I have only been able to get the main area, living room, kitchen frount hall.
My best idea I have is

www.flylady.net

As for the pet hair, between the 2 cats and volunteering at a horse farm I have not won the fur battle. I swiffer and vaccum, the left over adds to the "feels like home" feeling. I am up for ideas as well. But I know it's clean and If you don't like don't visit. That always works for me.

Good luck and Happy Spring Cleaning.

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Needless to say,with three cats my Swiffer is attached to my hip :D
I started"spring-cleanig"a while back by painting doorframes,which subsequently made everything else look dingy,so I am still painting...
I go room to room,paint,wash...have a garbage-bag handy for dustcollectors,close the bags quickly before hubbie comes with his"oh,we might need that one day!"
I went through all my bookcases,dusted cleaned and I'll give 3 bags of paper-backs to Salvation Army to sell.
I LOVE to throw out stuff,after 30yrs in this house,I could have a giant garage-sale,I have about 100 cassette-tapes(from my sons)even LP's(if anyone knows what those are :D )my favourite being "Aloha from Hawaii"by Elvis :D :D Sorry,strayed for a bit!!
I belive spring-cleaning is all about readying your house to let the sun shine in,it has a way of showing every finger-print and smudge....I am definetly not a clean-freak and would rather paint than wash :D

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Chico that is where we are at. We are in the middle of remodeling so I have no kitchen cabinets so all the dishes and the food is in the guest room. One bathroom is completly tore apart because they are putting a new tub and toliet, etc. My bathroom is getting painted and all new trim. Our bedroom is done but they are finshing putting the windows in this week. Computer is ALL done. The dining room is all done except for the border going up. Laundry room is getting started this week. And than the den will be tackled this summer. That will be a BIG job becuase it use to be a basement and it leaks and crap. So hopefully all my cabinets will be done by next weekend and I can get the kitchen painted and new trim, etc. Than I can get all my new curtians up and junk. But, right now I am not sure where to start cleaning. LOL It is so hard to spring clean your house when you can not find your house. Than on the outside they are bricking half way up. But, the brick people will not brick till the summer. I am so ready to do flower beds and stuff as well. :D So that is first on my list find the house, than spring clean it. LOL As far as hair balls we will ALWAYS have them because of Meater. LOL :D Hairy mutt! :D

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Princess..been there,done that :D but in a house it never ends,something always needs updating,fixing.
We renovated our whole house when we bought it,it was a fixer-upper :D and over the years there is nothing original left in the house.
I need to finish the inside,cause spring will take me outside(yeah!!!)have to restain the deck,clean up the garden,trim trees and bushes etc..etc...but I am happy I am still able to do all these things.
I need the inside done now,because once the sun gets warmer,I'll spend my time outside.
I understand you moved in to a new unfinished house???It must be nice though,no dirt from people having lived there before..

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 08:52 AM
No it has been lived in before but we are changing EVERYTHING!!! LOL Chico you need to take a vacation to Indiana and you can come show me how to get my yeard looking pretty! I have a BIG fenced in back yard and I am so ready to fix it up and get the front going. I want bushes and I would like a pond thing in the back. LOL I am sure the dogs want me to fix it all up as well. LOL I mean mom that is more places for us to dig and get into trouble :evil: , and ponds, ponds are good mom. Yes, lets, get a a pond. LOL :D

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds like what we did....we bought the house mostly because of a big backyard.I too would like a pond,but we have a pool and that will have to do,however I cannot have fish and froggies in the pool :D
You'll have lots of fun digging out a garden,I started with a small spot for my perennial garden but it's getting bigger every year,less grass to cut :thumbs up The cats have their own cat-nip garden that they like to roll in and get a high!

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I want a pool as well! I think that would be so much fun! About how much does yours cost on up keep and supplies a year. I want to get a pool before we have a baby because I can do alot of swimming and stuff in the water. :D I heard that the pools are not that expensive it is all the upkeep, etc. :D

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Here are a couple of pics from last summer

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
some more,from my backyard...

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Princess,our pool is only 5 feet deep,an inground construction but halfin/half out,we've had it for 10 yrs,cost $11.000 but that was ten yrs ago,upkeep really cheap...liquid chlorine is all you need+algecide when we first open it.
I always loved water and I am in it every day...well worth the money!!!

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Ooops seems we kind of strayed from"spring-cleaning"sorry about that...

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Oh Chico it is so pretty! I want to move up there and be your neighbor. We could be buddies. LOL I want a pool so bad now. Did you pay for it in full or make payments. I am sure they will do it either way now. :D

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Well,I am not sure how we paid for it,probably in full,but credit is no problem I am sure.The house next to me is actually vacant up for rent or sale....so come on,if you want a 61yr old as your buddy :D

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I did not realize you all had warm weather up there in Canada. She how much I know. LOL :D

chico2
March 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
:D :D :D That's funny,the polarbears usually go North for the winter :D
We usually have periods of very hot humid weather,but otherwise mostly beautiful summers,spring is my favourite time though,when everything comes back to life....

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I do not know why I always thought that. I am a blonde what can I say. LOL Your yard is so pretty none the less. :D