Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a golden in an apartment?

amber416
March 24th, 2005, 10:06 PM
My fiance and I just found out that the apartment we are planning on moving into this summer accepts dogs and we have been talking about possibly getting one come this fall. My fiance is VERY set on a golden retriever but I am a little apprehensive. I will be working only part time next year and mainly evening hours, so when i'm at work my fiance will be home, so the dog will definitely get plenty of attention/exercise but I'm worried about our living space. I don't want to be unfair to a dog with the size and energy level of a golden retriever so i was just wondering if anybody here has, or has ever had, a golden in an apartment?

Prin
March 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I have my two big doggies in a 400sq ft apt (96lbs and 62lbs). Trust me they are happy. I run them so much at our dog park that all they do at home is sleep. I think as long as you make the committment to care for this doggy to the fullest extent, whatever you live in won't matter. (There are a lot of people in houses with huge yards whose dogs never get attention or get walked, too...)

The minimum you need space-wise is a good park and a big bed...

Lucky Rescue
March 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Your schedules sound great for having a dog, and as long as you make sure the dog gets lots of exercise outdoors, there should be no problem!:)

For dedicated owners, the size of your place doesn't really matter. Just remember - a tired dog is a good dog!:p

SnowDancer
March 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
An acquantance of mine lives in a "monster home" with her husband, 2 huge breed dogs, a small but "big" terrier and 2 cats. The dogs know the way from the door to the fridge to the couch to the bed. It is really funny to see them jockeying for space - the terrier of course taking up the most room. You shouldn't have a problem.

maddoxies
March 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
All three of my three goldens lived in apartments quite happily. Champ started out in a house then we moved to an apartment. I know he misses the backyard, but we compenseate with doggie parks and friends's yards. He was quite happy in the apartment. They learned to give you a few extra minutes notice when they had to go out (to allow for elevator waits).

When my one girl thought that she did not have enough visitors, she would go down the hallway and sit infront of a neighbour's door, until they opened it up for her. She would make the rounds of the rooms in the apartment, greeting all the family members, and then return home.

With the proper exercise, a golden should be fine in an apartment.

niagarapets
March 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I am a pet sitter in the Niagara region and I have several clients with large breed dogs in apartments. As stated above, the key is to make sure they gets lots of good quality exercise.

One thing to keep in mind though... puppies need frequent outside trips so keep that in mind. Which one of you will be getting up during the night with the puppy to get dressed, go down the elevator and to a dog friendly section of the property? ;-)

Amy

amber416
March 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I am trying to convince my fiance right now that we should look for an older dog versus a puppy but he's really adament about having a puppy. He thinks that now would be the perfect time to get a puppy because our schedules are going to be so relaxed for awhile. I would love a puppy at some point but i like the idea of adopting an older dog, too. I'm assuming puppies aren't all that common in shelters/rescue, as well. Oh well, i guess i've got another few months to work on him, thanks again! :)

jiorji
March 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM
When my one girl thought that she did not have enough visitors, she would go down the hallway and sit infront of a neighbour's door, until they opened it up for her. She would make the rounds of the rooms in the apartment, greeting all the family members, and then return home.

LOL that is the funniest thing!