Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Springer pup and licking

3dognite
March 23rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hi, I am a new poster with a nine month old English Springer (field) that cut her front leg on an incorrectly installed flashing on a chain link fence. She cut through to a vein and did some major damage. Her leg has been surgically repaired and in a cast for nearly two weeks. The staples were removed two days ago and the vet said to remove the cast bit by bit. We exposed her foot first and she went crazy licking and biting her foot even though it wasn't hurt (cut was upper leg near shoulder). I have an Elizabethian collar but she went nuts running into stuff and was frantic with it on. I feel like she's been through more than enough so took it off and recovered her foot with a sock and she is now sleeping. The vet is still suggesting the collar. Any ideas from anyone with a dog with a similar injury? Thanks!

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
When my big Boo had his dew claws removed they didn't itch at all. BUT, when I had my ears pinned, I had a cast on my head and geez it itched. It's that itch that you can't scratch to it's ten times worse.

Does the gnawing and licking go on all day or just for a bit after you take off the cast? If it goes on more than one bout of 5 minutes after you cut the cast off, I'd put the collar on, no matter how destructive and clumsy the doggy is...