Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Labradoodle breeder/kennels information please

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or dealt with **** Kennels or ****** Kennels, both in Ontario. They are both breeders of Labradoodles and Goldendoos and Ausiedoos. I have a co-worker who is interested in perhaps acquiring a mini labradoodle, as they are advertised as nonshedding and nonallergenic. I have directed the co-worker to this site to research opinions/facts/misconceptions etc. on designer breeds and their breeders, so she has her work cut out for her. I have followed many posts on all of the above and decided it in her best interest to read read read all of the info here on pets.ca so she can make an informed decision. I have explained that there are millions of homeless beautiful dogs to be found in shelters yadayadayada, but she going to research for herself.

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
These folks are also very open to any suggestions for a dog that sheds little and is relatively quiet, compact and preferrably a puppy. It doesn't have to be a labradoodle. Anyone out there have such a nice dog that might pique the interest of my co-worker? The first one that comes to mind is a schnauzer! Also, does anyone remember the thread re: non-shedding/hypoallergenic falacies? I seem to recall that pretty much all dogs shed to some degree and there is no such thing as nonallergenic dogs. Correct me if I am wrong.....

Eleni
March 23rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
A Bichon is great for allergies, they dont shed much at all, my husband is allergic to most pets but my Bichon/poodle cross doesnt bother him in the least.

might want to be careful if your looking for a designer breed dog tho, many of those breeders are only out for the cash and you could end up with a situation thats so much more trouble then its worth

Eleni

Safyre
March 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
labradoodle just makes me laugh... sorry.
To my understanding, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dogs.
There are however, some breeds that loose thier fur and dander less, therefore being easier for those with an allergy.

Here is a list of 'low dander, low shedding' dogs

Basenji
Bedlington Terrier
Bichon Frise
Irish Water Spaniel
Kerry Blue Terrier
Maltese
Poodles
Portuguese Water Dog
Schnauzers
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

I'm not sure what you meant by a 'compact' dog. When I think of compact, the only dog that comes to mind is the Bulldog!

amber416
March 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Right, there is no such thing as a completely non-shedding dog. I agree with Eleni about bichons, though. Growing up, we had three (purebred) bichons, and my dad, who is severely allergic to animal hair (to the point where our rabbits would make him really sick) was never bothered by the dogs.

LavenderRott
March 23rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
The fact that these kennels offer more then one designer breed of dog tells me that they really don't care about what they are breeding - just the money they will be able to make.

Labradoodle, Goldendoodles and Ausiedoodle are MUTTS with a fancy name.

Gazoo
March 23rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
The fact that these kennels offer more then one designer breed of dog tells me that they really don't care about what they are breeding - just the money they will be able to make.

Labradoodle, Goldendoodles and Ausiedoodle are MUTTS with a fancy name.

nope not fancy......dumb names ;)

smudgie
March 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, I Lezzerpezzer's co-worker and my family is looking for a puppy. I would like to hear about experiences with breeders in southwestern Ontario of small dogs and preferrably dogs that don't shed or irritate allergies. Picky, picky, but we are looking for a long-term relationship and are trying to make an informed choice. We'd like to hear some positive :thumbs up stories about small dogs and breeders.

Gazoo
March 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Here is a list of 'low dander, low shedding' dogs

Basenji
Bedlington Terrier
Bichon Frise
Irish Water Spaniel
Kerry Blue Terrier
Maltese
Poodles
Portuguese Water Dog
Schnauzers
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

And how about getting one of these dogs from a responsible breeder that cares about the health of the dog.

Kennels that breed doodledogs breed crossbreds and sell them for stupid prices and are in it for the money----not the well being of the dogs :evil:

I've heard of people paying $1400 CDN for one of these crossbred doodlemutts. Thats just @#@$!%@$ crazy on so many levels.

Or better yet how about adopting a dog from a rescue or SPCA rather than a doodlemutt and donating the other $1000 or so to a charity. :thumbs up

LavenderRott
March 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
While you are looking for positive stories about breeders, IMHO that is not going to help you find a puppy. I know a lovely woman that had a wonderful experience with a breeder when she got her puppy. Now, a year later, she has $11,000 in vet bills and no end in sight. And the breeder certainly isn't offering to help pay those bills.

The list posted above is a great list for low shed breeds. Check them out at www.akc.org to learn more about each breed. You should be able to discover from there which one fits your family pretty well.

After you pick out a breed, search the net to learn about genetic issues in the breed. What problems are the dogs prone too?

Then look for a RESPONSIBLE breeder who not only shows the breed in several venues (conformation, obedience, tracking, etc.) but does all the testing for genetic issues. The breeder should have as many questions for you as you do for them.

amber416
March 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
You seem pretty set on buying from a breeder. If you don't mind me asking, how come? Not that there's anything wrong with buying from a responsible breeder (no mutts that means), but why not give a shelter animal a much needed home instead? If you go on petfinder you will find lots of small dogs and if you are set on a designer mutt, those are on there as well. Unfortunately I can't give you any suggestions for breeders...when my parents got our bichons (around 10 years ago), they were not educated on BYB's and puppymills so two of our bichons came from BYB's and the other, my mom found out later, came from a puppymill. Luckily she was okay healthwise but my aunt purchased a dog from the same mill and she was not so lucky. After many, MANY vet bills and numerous health complications she had to be put down. So be careful and do your research if you decide not to go with a rescue.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Shih Tzus are another wonderful breed to take into consideration -- they're low shedding, low dander and for the most part, very quiet. A good place to look for breeders is the Dogs in Canada annual magazine; along with a listing of breeders they also give info on the breeds. I got my dogs from breeders advertised in Dogs in Canada; while the ones I bought from were responsible, you do still have to be VERY careful and make sure any dog you get from a breeder has been screened for genetic health and temperament problems.

http://www.dogsincanada.com

My Scottish Terrier doesn't shed much (if at all). The only time fur seems to come off of him is when I'm brushing and the dead hair comes out.

I'll second the option of adoption!

Copper'sMom
March 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
The way I see it:

Windex claims to be streak-free but I still end up with streaks!!!

happycats
March 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
You could try. www.dogbreedinfo.com.

Hope this helps !!!

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
:rolleyes: Anyone peddling "Labradoodles" etc. for big bucks are just more scam artists pulling a fast one on people who believe whatever they are told and do not do their homework.

These dogs are mongrels and you can get one at any pound, shelter or rescue in the country.

a mini labradoodle, as they are advertised as nonshedding and nonallergenic.

"Minis" now? It just gets worse and worse!

If you are allergic to dogs, I suggest fostering one for a rescue and see how it goes. No one can guarantee any dog to be "hypoallergenic". That's just another scam.

Safyre
March 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Bichon's are good, so are Coton Du Tulears for being low shedding.

Smudgie - There are tons of websites that you can go to that will have quetionaires that will ask you things about temperment, coat, how much room you have for the dog.. all things that should be considered when getting an animal. You answer the questions, and they will give a list of the best suited dogs for you.
You said you would prefer a 'small' dog, just wondering if you can define "small" . mean, my dog is 15 inches at the shoulders and i consider her medium sized dog.

I agree with the other people on here. These 'breeders' are giving the mutts a name. You can find the same combination at shelters and rescues.
Labradoodle, Goldendoodles and Ausiedoodle are NOT recognized breeds, they are mutts. There is no standard for the 'breeders' to go by, and therefore, you really can't be sure of what you are getting.

happycats
March 23rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Hi smudgie, I don't know where you are located, but the THS has a few dogs that I think don't bother alergies.
they have 2 yorkie/poodle X, a maltese, as well as a lhasa apso/pekeneseX
a pug and a boston terrier!! chek them out on. www.torontohumanesociety.com.

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
I am zipping my lips except to say -- please don;t advise anyone to get a labradoodle. There is aboslutely no way anyone can promise a hypoallergenic dog. These sites promise it but most are disreputable breeders in it for profit and have no science behind them. They claim to have the best of each breed but anyone with a basic genetics course knows how foolish that statement is.

I won't repear what I and others have said before in this lengthy discussion:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12252&highlight=labradoodle

There is a woman in southern NB who charges $1000 each for the babies of her labradoodles and alas, I am reminded of PT Barnam's observation that there is a sucker born every minute. Uf she wants a mutt, tell her to go to the SPCA or a Rescue. If she wants a hypoallregenic dog. I am not sure what to say about that - poodles themsevles are not bad in that they do not shed but they still have hair. If she likes cats, she could get a sphinx but even they are not allergy free.

greaterdane
March 24th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I would suggest the Bichon. We had one for 15 years and no shedding. They have fur that is the same as a sheep. They do require regular grooming but it pays off because they are adorable all fluffed up. Great little dogs that arent so little that you step on them. Donut would intimidate anyone who came to our door, he barked as though he were a shepherd. People assumed we had a large dog and would look for one when they came in because all they would see was little Donut, the 18lb Bichon Frise.

Eleni
March 24th, 2005, 05:50 AM
yep I totally agree with Bichon,

Tho everyoen is right there isnt a thing as a hypoallergenic dog, some are jsut better about shedding less then others

i ahve a bichon/poodle cross and his fur is like the previous poster said like sheep.

he sheds the very tiny amount and my husband who is allergic to dogs tolerates it well.

but his allergy isnt severe so it could be different in your friends case.

why would they want a dog if they are allergic??

Eleni

wjranch
March 24th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Yes, I Lezzerpezzer's co-worker and my family is looking for a puppy. I would like to hear about experiences with breeders in southwestern Ontario of small dogs and preferrably dogs that don't shed or irritate allergies. Picky, picky, but we are looking for a long-term relationship and are trying to make an informed choice. We'd like to hear some positive :thumbs up stories about small dogs and breeders.
HI Smudgie :D Welcome to the board. I know of a couple of ' doodle' breeders around here. I would suggest they are nothing more then a puppy mill... they fit the description to a TEE! Even if they're 'hand rearing' or advertising only 1-2 litters per year.
They are asking anywhere from 900 - 1200 Canadian Dollars for these mutts! Are you aware of the health issues that surround the Golden Retriever breed? There are quite a few from what I understand and it is IMPERITIVE the breedings be very carefully choosen. Any Golden breeders on this forum who could back that up??
I seriously suggest you research breeds to find what fits your requirements exactly... Then the hunt for a reputable breeder begins, ask questions, and expect to answer many yourself...as a good breeder won't just hand over a pup for cash.
You say you are interested in a 'small dog' ... what do you consider small? I have a Doberman and he's considered by the CKC to be a 'medium' breed.... So, that must mean anything smaller then .......say an aussie, is a 'toy breed' ?
What other considerations do you have for a dog? How much time do you have to devote to housebreaking? and training? What about daily exercise requirements? All of these questions (I really hope I don't sound rude or pushy here) are important to find the right fit... If you could post some answers to these, i'm positive someone will be able to help you make an informed decision and possibly help you find a dog :D

lezzpezz
March 24th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Hi there. Wow! You guys are very thorough. I should have fun at work today with Smudgie! A veritable fount of info here. I had explained to Smudgie to expect as much, and the forum did not let me down. I thank you all. Much for the Smudgester to consider and perhaps a little light shone on the subject. Having known Smudgie for years and the fact that Smudgie has experience in dog ownership in the past, a smart educated decision will be made, one that is best for all concerned. It is wonderful that Smudgie chose to participate on this forum and that you have all given sage opinions and advice. Once again, I thank you for being both polite and informative to this newbie! Later! :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
March 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
They are asking anywhere from 900 - 1200 Canadian Dollars for these mutts!

Hard to fathom, isn't it?

For less money, you can get a gorgeous purebred poodle, from champion and health tested parents with impeccable pedigrees.

Bearsmom
March 25th, 2005, 09:38 PM
breed doodledogs breed crossbreds

Try saying that five times fast :D

BMDLuver
March 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Often, with allergies to dogs, the family member will not be allergic when the dog is a pup but will start showing signs of allergies around the 10month to a year mark as their adult coat comes in. Just something we have seen from experience so wanted to mention. :)

lezzpezz
March 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Just an update......Smudgie is off to see a Havanese breeder and may be purchasing a pup from them, but is willing to wait for the right dog, and is not being hasty in decision making process. We have loaded her up with info! Is aware of things to ask and what to look for....will keep you posted. :p

wjranch
March 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
AWESOME NEWS!!! :thumbs up Yeah Smudgie for being so smart :D

msteele34
April 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Hi folks,

I wanted to respond to all of you who wrote off Labradoodles as mutts/joke dogs. The labradoodles were developed in Austrailia in response to the need for non-shedding guide dogs. They are bred to have the best qualities of two wonderful breeds: the labrador and the poodle (usually standard poodle).

There are con artist backyard breeders for this dog, as with any other type but there are also responsible breeders.

We have a 4 month old puppy from a local breeder. He is probably going to shed some as his fur is more wavy than curly but he definitely has the amazing temperment described by Labradoodle lovers. He is very calm, sweet, loving and smart. He is not quite as goofy as a lab (ie not bounding into everything and everyone) and has none of the tempermentalness of SOME poodles. His puppy class teacher is amazed at his focus and maturity (of course he is still a baby and can act his age at times). He also has the benefit of being less likely to have the health problems associated with inbred/overbred purebred dogs. He has what they call in the plant world, "hybrid vigour". He is an awesome dog and I think if you met him, you would think twice about dismissing the labradoodles good choice of dog. If you want accurate info on Labradoodles, go to the TEagan Park website and you will learn a few things.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Your puppy sounds wonderful and I"m sure you love him a lot.

He also has the benefit of being less likely to have the health problems associated with inbred/overbred purebred dogs. He has what they call in the plant world, "hybrid vigour".

He is only less likely to have health problems if both parents were tested and cleared of ALL genetic defects common to BOTH breeds. If this was not done, then it's a crap shoot and puppies could inherit the problems of either or both breeds.

Whoever told you about "Hybrid vigour" was giving you a line. Hybrid vigour exists only in the crossing of two different species, i.e. Horse x donkey = mule (hybrid) Since dogs are all the same species this does not apply.

They are bred to have the best qualities of two wonderful breeds: the labrador and the poodle (usually standard poodle).

Since Labs and poodles have not been bred long enough to breed true, the guarantees of no shedding or whatever are also false information used to peddle mixed breeds for big bucks.. Wonderful, smart, loving mixed breed puppies can be found at nearly every shelter.

Trinitie
April 25th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Hi msteele34, and welcome to the boards. What you say is true, about the labradoodle - they were originally bred to be guide dogs. What most people here don't like, nor can I blame them, is the fact that even though this particular dog was bred to try and get a new type of guide-dog, most BYBs jumped on the "designer dog" bandwagon when the labradoodle became popular. Many types of poodle cross dogs started popping up all over the place. All were claimed to be "hypo-alergetic" and had the "best qualities" of the two breeds. I will not start the debate again, but thought I would put my two cents in.

I'm glad you have a wonderful pet.

Eleni
April 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
no doubt you ahve a wonderful dog, but tell me this is a reputable breeder is a breeder who shows their dogs has the parentage of the dog on hand and all health concernes either ruled out or informed upfront and is breeding for the betterment of a recognised breed.

If not then you ahve in fact paid a hefty penny for a dog that is in fact a mutt like any other mixed breed dog.

I have a woderful mixed breed dog, but a spade is a spade he will never be pure bred, but i love him just the same.

people who doubt labradoddles as a breed arent doubting, they are knowing for a fact its not a recognised breed, doesnt make the dog good bad or indifferent.

I hope that your "breeder" was careful to rule out and heriditary or genetic problems with your pup,

all else i can say is enjoy your pup dogs mutt or otherwise are the most loving of lifelong companion.

Eleni

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I must admit I to am intrigued by the labradoodle and have been reading up on them on the internet.I must admit thought I am a bit put off by the price 2500 where I live other purebred dogs are cheaper by far. It sounds like some can be great dogs with obvious proper training and still some end up in Shelters or in the paper. I am still researching the breed and possibly looking for a rescue doodle but so far haven't seen anything close to us. So now I am researching doodles, engish cocker spaniels and various shelter dogs unfortunatey those have all been to big or just not suitable for us.

doggy lover
April 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I don't know why people pay these prices for these crosses when they can be found in local shelters. Some of these dogs cost more than buying a purebred from a breeder, the same as people buying pruebreds in pet stores they can be bought cheeper from the breeder and you know where the dog came from. Just my pennies worth.

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
The labradoodle is not a recognized as a pure breed, most people know this, everyone on this website does.

Does anyone know the steps that it takes to 'create' a new breed, to get it recognized as a pure breed?
My grade 7 teacher was a breeder of 15 inch beagles, he explained to us that you can create your own breed. I can't remember all the details(grade 7 was 11 yrs ago), I do recall that there has to be 5 generations, before it is considered a breed, and then the process to get it recongized takes a very long time. There are breeds we have talked about on these boards, that we recognize as breeds, that are not recognized by the CKC (Catahoula Lepard Dog, Jack Russell Terrier wasn't recognized till this year, but under the name of Parson Russel Terrier)

I'm not saying, hey lets all go out and make our own breed of dog, but unfortuantely, labradoodle might be one that sticks around if anyone tries to get it recognized.
We make dogs of our own liking all the time, its not agreat practise, and the guidelines should be stricter, but it does happen.

So the breeders, they may be reputable, attempting to create a new pure breed.
Just my thoughts

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 06:08 PM
So the breeders, they may be reputable, attempting to create a new pure breed.
See, I have a very hard time believing that these breeders are looking to create a new breed. Maybe a very small percentage started out with their hearts in the right place. But I firmly believe 99.99% of them are in it solely for the money. This is not a new trend - these mixes have been around for a very long time. If they were truly trying to introduce a new breed, wouldn't we have heard some news on the subject by now? Instead, all we hear about is how much they cost - far more than a pet quality pup from a truly reputable breeder, and certainly far more than any other comparably loveable mutt.

Researchbulls said this about Labradoodles: "It sounds like some can be great dogs with obvious proper training and still some end up in Shelters or in the paper." Well, the same can be said of every other dog on this planet, regardless of pedigree (or lack thereof). There is no one breed or mix that is exempt from winding up in a shelter or in the paper. There is no one breed or mix that is guaranteed to be the pet of your dreams. There is no one breed or mix that is completely non-shedding or that does not inflame every person's allergies. By all means, if this is truly the mix you have your heart set on for whatever reason, then please research everything about them thoroughly (and please do not rely solely on the information from breeders). And, for the love of your potential pup, please adopt one from a shelter, even if that takes longer than you expect. :)

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
We had this debate awhile back (just search and it will pop up). Labradoodles are mutts no matter how you cut it. Cute mutts mind you but they are not recognized by the CKC or any other registry so given that a reputable breeder is one who breeds to advance the breed - after being in the biz or hobby (It is a work of love for most since they sure do noit ma e $$$ at it) - of showing dogs, the fact that one could never show a labradoodle means it may come from purebred dogs but like any two purebred breeds who have a puppy, it does not aualify as a real breed.

I think the unfortunate thing - other than these poor dogs, many of whom are now being left in rescues b/c they are not hypoallergenic as promised or have the best of both breeds (They also have the defects given that anyone who breeds these dogs, even the well intentioned, is a backyard breeder) - is that people are being taken for their hard earned money! It is all so sad more than anything.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/sussexspaniels.html

I am not sure if this applies to this thread or not but I found it to be a great site. There is a whole section on what to look for when picking a puppy from a breeder and what to stay away from. There is quite a few different links to check out.

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Writing4Fun - Hey I don't think that they are truly trying to create a breed either, they are making money hand over fist (thats the saying, right? sleepy)

Other breeds have been formed the same way, there are 'designer breeds' that we recognaize right now, soo... I'm jsut saying, doubt most, doubt all, but there MIGHT be someone truly trying to make it a breed.
as for, whether or not we woulda heard about it already... why would we? is there a news release everytime someone tries to register a new breed? i dunno how we would know.

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Well, I just thought that this is such a heated topic on a pet lover's forum, surely someone somewhere would have heard the news and passed it on by now.

And yes, "hand over fist" is right. ;)

I do wonder, though, about how other breeds came into existence and became recognized? Is it because it wasn't an issue "back then" when there weren't 50 bazillion homeless animals to contend with? Is it because it was clearly for the betterment of the breed in terms of it's purpose in life (ex. to make a hound taller to be better able to hunt in tall grass? - I dunno, it's just an example) as opposed to being done purely for mankind's own stupid, selfish reasons? Now you got me curious, Safyre! :D

mona_b
April 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Have no fear,Mona is here........ :D

If I hear anything I would definately let you know.I go to many of CKC meetings.And we do discuss registration in breeds.I did bring this up at a meeting quite some time ago.And so far it was a big NO to having this breed registered.This is not a purebred dog.Yes the parents are purebred,Lab and Poodle.But that's it.Labradoodles are just mutts....Cute one though... :D

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Sorry about making ya curious there Writing4Fun
I loved my grade 7 teacher, he taught us all about dogs, dog shows, how to care for them.It was great. he's the one that started my love of dogs.
Someone asked him how breeds came about, and he explained why some of the breeds were made (Beagles for example) and then explained that some people make thier own breed, to make a dog suited to thier liking, or thier need.
Breeds that annoy me: Miniture Dashaund ... what, they weren't small enough to begin with?!? Toy American Eskimo Dog (as well as the Miniture American Eskimo Dog) why did someone miniturize them!?!? Same with the poodle breeds. lol
Sometimes, yes, it seems we are making breeds only because they 'look good'.

Safyre
April 25th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Mona - maybe you can answer then, how does someone go about making a breed? I'm not asking because I want to make a breed, but curiosity,could you at least point me in the right direction for the info?

I mean, all breeds are mutts at some point. My dog, NSDT Retriever was what, a retriever, setter spaniel and maybe even a collie at first?! Every dog is a mutt at some point! NSDT Retreiver is now a pure breed though, so what steps had to be taken to get it from mutt, to breed?

greaterdane
April 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Did you hear the new dog??? Whoodles, the soft coated wheaton terrier and the poodle. Apparently this is the new hit with the millers and you will see them being advertised. There is already some being advertised in the spectator. I was looking at a site today and they cross everything with a poodle, even weims and dobes, its sick. Just to make a profit.

greaterdane
April 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Here is the site i was looking at. Poodle Crosses (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm)

The worst ones in my opinion being the English Boodle, Boxerdoodle, Saint Berdoodle and the Weimardoodle

mona_b
April 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM
It takes many years to make a breed.Your breed is not used for retrieving like Labs are.They were used for what is called Tolling.They were actually bred to entice the game to approach within firing range.Which in english terms means the dog is luring the game out close enough for the hunters to shoot.And did you know that they were originally called the Little River Duck Dog?..... :D

These differend breeds were bred for a purpose.Yes they were mutts at first.But it took a very long time to perfect the certain breed for the work they wanted..And many of these breeds came around in the 1800's.

Did any of this make sense?...Sorry if it didn't...I guess I'm just a tad tied...Better hit the hay.3:30am comes early..........And this site is just to ADDICTIVE..............LOL

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
http://www.fuglydog.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=86

Found this on another site. I am sure he must be a wonderful dog!!! I don't know if I would pay a 1000 bucks for him though!!

Safyre
April 26th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Mona - I know the history of Tollers well, they were also once called Yarmouth Retriever. In my post I was just listing what dogs possibly contributed to the modern day NSDT Retriever. Sorry if it was a bit confusing.

I actually had someone from Nova Scotia call my dog a little river duck dog when we were walking in a local park one day, i thought it was adorable.

I waited three years before getting Justice, the entire time learning about the breed. I actually want to breed them later on in life. My breeder's new bitch was born on April 6th, and if she ends up showing, i'll be getting a pup from her in 2-3 years. lol so no breeding for me anytime soon. i gotta learn much more before breeding.
Anyways, my point was just that, all dogs were mutts at some point, untill soemnoe paid enough attention to the breeding to make them pure and registered.
I don't support the labrdoodle and all those stupid breeds, I was just trying to point out that someone, somehere MIGHT be doing it for the love of the dogs. I
Most are doing it for the love of the money, completely agree with everyone on that.

Safyre
April 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
researchbulls - that was a bit disturbing
i'd like to think that all dogs are cute but... that one seriously tests that theory!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I think he is cute in his own way. He could be a poster dog to spay and neuter your pets.

CyberKitten
April 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'll take one Daisy Dog and one Cockapoo. My God, thatsite is deplorable - the oe with all the poos!! As for the other site, I do think their sphynx kitties are cute! :)

CyberKitten
April 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I mean, how could you not love a face like this?http://www.defuzzld.com/images/3wkcalico.jpg

They appear to have a breedng program - integrating domestic short hairs with their sphynxes - to round out their own program I guess but I have not looked at all the pix.

and his coated litter mate - also very cute,
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/3wkscoatedgirl.jpg

and an earlier pict of a dliute litter mate:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/5wksDilute.jpg

Two cute brothers:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Copy_of_Flame_boys_5wks.jpg

2nd generation sypynx and coated:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Pixie2.jpg

and this is my fav!
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Cuddling_Bucky.jpg

Gosh, I hope they rescued this one!!!
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/MVC-905F.JPG

(Some sphynx breeding progs will adopt kitties from the pound for their breeding program - and as much as I am not a big fan if breeding , if done by a reputable breeder to broaden their own gene pool and it saves the life of a cat on death row, it can't be all bad. BUT they have to know what they are doing! I just hope this is one now living in splendor, not squalor in their program!)

I may write to know!

doggy lover
April 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Speaking of CKC and reconized breeds, look at the border collie how many years have they been around and the CKC doesn't reconize them, so how long will it take for them to reconize these "new breeds"?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
http://forum.canadianparents.ca/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=216845&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=

I posted this website as a new thread but there is some feedback here on Labradoodles as well.

Grissom's Mom
May 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
a labro-what??!?!?!?! Try the pound. They have tons of mutts there and the people that work there actually care about the dogs' wellbeing!

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM
If someone wants a mixed breed and doesn't want to be a fool and pay 1000$ for it there are LOTS for adoption. The price is the ONLY thing that differentiates these mongrels from a million others in shelters across the continent.

Here's a dumped "Labradoodle" needing a home.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4331216&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=427fb8c92da78dfe-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=A

ItchyDog
June 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
:pawprint:

So I get it that the general concensus is that no one is really "for" these labradoodles. So maybe I can get some input.
My husband has allergies, but is a huge dog lover, spent his childhood itching from a beloved Lhasa and a Shiztzu.
We are looking for a family dog.
Bischon, while everyone here seems to love them are a too little and prissy. Portuguese Water Dogs, very nice, very pricey, very big.
Poodles, well, are poodles. Wheatons, very nice, but very terrier. My husband is frankly a Lab kind of guy, labs have a great temperment, mellow with age, loving, active but not hyper. we would go to the pound in a second, and refuse to go to pet stores, but without holding up the dog and petting it for 5 minutes to see if it makes him itch, and then coming back the next day to try another one isn't really a practical way to get a dog. These doodles, could be a good alternative to the usual purebred route. We aren't interested in a designer dog, just one that doesn't make him itch, and one that the boys can take to the park without getting beat up for having a chick dog.
I agree that these people are charging an awful lot of money for a mutt, but with specific requirements in a dog what is one to do? I at least want to get one from a breeder and not a BYB or puppymill or a pet store. Heck I'll rescue one, as long as it doesn't make him itch.
Any suggestions?

Safyre
June 18th, 2005, 10:25 PM
If your husband is a lab kinda guy i'm surprised he doesn't like the Portugeuse Water Dogs! Sorting, good size.. anyways..
There is no hypo allergenic dogs, however there are low dander dogs, these dogs are Basenji -- Bedlington Terrier -- Irish Water Spaniel -- Kerry Blue Terrier -- Maltese - Portuguese Water Dog -- Schnauzers -- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Labradoodles are not garunteed not to make him itch though, thats the thing. it depends on the genetics, which dog had the more dominant genes. I think the mutt thing can be a bit hard to get right.
I would look into all breeds possible, go to breeders to see if the dog makes him itch or not.

amber416
June 18th, 2005, 11:11 PM
You seem to be making generalizations about a lot of breeds. I wouldn't write any particular breed off because of some stereotype. I, for example, had three bichons growing up and not one was "prissy"...in fact, i would describe them much in the same way you described labs. That being said, there are plenty of labradoodles in shelters. Take a look at petfinder.com and go from there.

goldengal
June 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
If you are referring to Swissridge Kennels in Little Britain, who breed Bernese Mountain Dogs and Goldenpoos, then I can speak for that kennel. One of my best friends owns a Berner from Swissridge, and at almost one year old, he is a wonderful specimen of his breed. I was not aware that they breed Labradoodles, but have researched their Goldenpoos (own a purebred golden myself), and was quite impressed. I know I will be dissed for this, but all breeds (pretty well) were mixed at one point. I have had nothing but pure bred dogs for 40 years, but sometimes wonder if we are too biased. Just my opinion.

Kismutt
June 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
The picture of the above dog that Lucky Rescue posted was seized from a puppymill this spring in southwestern Ontario. I rehabilitated that dog "Oscar", and I can tell you that he came from a horrific place. Thank you for posting that Lucky.

I cannot talk about the names of breeders or kennels, but to the original poster ....I want you to tell your friend if she is considering purchasing the labradoodle you talked about, ask the owner of the kennel, to show her the "kennels". Ask to see every building on the property. If there are areas that have a closed door, ask to see the dogs in there. If the owner will not let you see every area of the property, or in all buildings, say "thanks but no thanks" and leave.

Safyre
June 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM
GoldenGal - I have made that point before, most purebreed dogs we love were mutts at some point.
I think a lot of the problem is that these designer breeders don't care for thier 'product' and often are puppy mills. As well, they are charging your over $1000 for a mutt. it is not a breed till registered, or attempting to be registered. The price tag on these designer breed irks ppl.

Kismutt
June 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I think a lot of the problem is that these designer breeders don't care for thier 'product' and often are puppy mills. As well, they are charging your over $1000 for a mutt.

:thumbs up Well said.

Luba
June 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
:eek: Basically people see a high price tag and think it must be something special so they buy it! Whether it's a car, house...jewels or a dog! If they can brag about the price they paid for their dog, their leaf blower and their new car it makes them feel proud!
dorks LOL

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
If anyone is looking or interested: cross posted contact the person indicated in the mesg directly

931913- Dog:Golden-Poo
Pickering,ON 905-420-4046 Lori Klucha lori@mech.ca 06-18-2005
Name: Heidib
Sex:F
Size:L
Delete Apricot/White.Sprayed and in excellent health.Fantastic with kids and other dogs.Dont know about cats. She would make a great family pet, she loves to play,run,swim,and cuddle. She is trained, sit,come,stay,etc.Would be perfect for a stay-at-home Mom that can share her time with Heidi because she doesnt like to be alone.Adoption fee $200.00 -please email me at lori@mech.ca