Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potato starch dog bone

raingirl
March 23rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know if anyone has looked, but most edible dog bones (nylabone, etc) are either beef based, or potato starch based. I was looking at the ingredients of the potato starch one, and was thinking that these can't be hard to make.

ONe I saw was only Potato Starch, turkey, rice, and calcium carbonate. All itesm that are easily obtained.

Any thoughts on this?

Prin
March 23rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
My doggies don't particularly like the potato bones... I thought it was a great idea but they are so expensive. My dad used to make potato pancakes so I'm sure you could bake some bones with it too. Maybe crush some pig ears into it-- that would be a super hit in this house. :thumbs up

raingirl
March 23rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah. They are expensive. My dog is allergic to beef, so we are sticking to veggie or turkey treats for now. We tried lamb treats a few days ago and so far no itchies!! I was thinking of making veggie bones. Just puree the veggies with the starch, put in a mold (they have bone molds at the cake store) and bake at a low temp to evaporate the water. Should work? He is ok with fish, so maybe I could try it with some ground dried fish sometime.

Safyre
March 23rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
there are tons of recipes for doggie treats that can be found. should be able to find one that would be like a nylabone.

fremar
March 23rd, 2005, 04:44 PM
If anyone ever runs across this homemade doggie bone please post it. I think a lot of people would be very interested in this.

Safyre
March 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
i can find tons of doggy biscuit recipes, not sure if they work out to be like nylabones though... i'll post on the recipes area

fremar
March 23rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
That's the trick trying to find a recipe that is pretty close to a hard boned one they do have a lot of recipes on the web, but I haven't found one that is hard for them to chew on.

Safyre
March 23rd, 2005, 07:53 PM
I havn't tried any yet, never really thought to. most hav wheat that my dog is allergic to.

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
I'd be interested in making my own too.

My pup goes throug ha 3 pack of edible nylabones a week. Although if anyone is interested the fruit flavoured ones are harder, and they last a lot longer. Petsmart has strawberry and banana, but they apparently exist in other flavours too.