Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog head nodding/shaking

raingirl
March 23rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Something weird happened to Odin about an hour ago. He was sleeping behind me and as soon as he woke up, his head was shaking slightly. I was a little concerned, so I called the vet. They said that if it doesn't stop in a few minutes, to bring him in. It was time for his walk, so I decided to take him out. It stopped as soon as I got his leash out, when he got excited.

Could he have just been sleepy? Maybe it was a muscle spasm?? It seemed as soon as he was awake more, it got better. It lasted about 5 minutes.

It was only his head, and it was like he was a bobble head. It was almost like he was nodding "no" to me a little.

I know it's not an ear infection, or anything like that, as his ears were checked last week, and I cleaned them yesterday, and they are fine.

Anyone have this happen before? I was reading and this could be an early sign of canine epilepsy.

Dog Dancer
March 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Hi, I'm new here, but read about your dog Odin's head nodding and shaking. I have a 4 year old spayed labX who has been doing that since she was a puppy. It doesn't happen often, and lasts only a minute or two at a time. My vet suggested the same thing, signs of epilepsy perhaps. Can't offer you any advice other than with my girl (Halo) it doesn't occur too often that I notice, and mostly when she first wakes up. It doesn't seem like a full out seizure as she seems aware of where she's going and all, but she does look a bit confused - but with her that's also fairly normal poor girl... :angel:

Anyhow, had to register and answer your msg as this is the first I have heard of someone else with the same thing. I also called her a bobblehead! We live in Vancouver and I also have a 7 year old spayed Akita/Heeler cross, both are rescue dogs. Good luck, hope Odin's issues are as minimal as Halo's are.