Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What if anything can be done with cats running around loose??

poohbear123
March 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM
There are three cats that are out around my house all the time. The other day one ran by our door while my daughter was holding my dog and he ran after it dragging my daughter along with him.....the cat ran into the neighbours tree and i looked up and their were two more cats sitting on my neighbours roof. My front enterance flower pot smells of cat urine so one has used it has there litter box.....I think one cat belongs to my neighbour across the street. Should i call bylaw on them? It is not only not safe for the cats but rather annoying to me....they come up and sit on our bench at the front and look through the window...dont get me wrong i love cats but why do people just let them run loose??? Isn't there a law about this....thanks any suggestions would be great.

Dahlia
March 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
I have the same problem. Our neighbor has a bunch of cats - my kids said 14 of them, but I'm not sure if they actually know. Anyway, every time I look out the sliding glass doors at night there's a different cat out there drinking out of our fishpond or sleeping on the furniture that's on the deck. I dont' see anything wrong with having outside cats if you live in the country where there's no one else around for them to bother, but in a subdivision? I don't think so. Besides, one of them keeps puking in my yard and my pup tries to eat it :mad: . I have to take the shovel out there all the time and clean it up. I don't know what they're feeding them but it's something orange. :yuck:

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2005, 09:08 AM
Do you know who owns these cats? If so, you can try talking to them and asking them to spay and neuter them and keep them home.

Or you can contact a rescue to see if they will help, and trap the cats.

Cats are not considered property as dogs are, and the law here is that if a cat is on your property, it's considered to be a stray and you may trap it or give it away.

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
I would first approach the owner of the cats and explain your concern for both the cats wellbeing and that of your family, as your daughter was pulled by the dog and could have been hurt. I would give the neighbour a chance to rectify the situation first before calling a bylaw officer. Yes, in my area, it is against the law to let cats roam freely, but I would try the "concern for the cats" approach first. Let the neighbour know that your dog is not friendly toward cats and that if they are in your yard and the dog is out, you cannot and will not be responsible for what may happen. Tell the owner that the cats cannot be in your yard and that she/he will have to prevent them from intruding on your property. If nothing changes, THEN I would call the authorities. Put the onus on the owner to control the cats and let it be known that it HAS to change or steps will be taken to make it so, in a friendly tone, of course!! :p

poohbear123
March 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
I think one of the cats is owned by the people across the street.....the other two I am not sure who owns them....I will try to talk to them and see what they say they are deaf so it may be hard communicating with them....wish me luck. I dont think my dog would do anything to the cat he just happen to walk by our front door while my daughter was taken the dog out for me cuz i was getting the stroller out of the house. He saw the cat and took off after it my daughter not knowing what to do held on for dear life and was pulled down and dragged by the dog (luckily on snow so she didnt get hurt) until I could grap him from her.....poor thing she was more embarassed then anything (she is seven). If I dont know who owns the other cats should I call by law on them?

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
If you cannot determine who the owners of the cats are, then they would be considered strays and the appropriate animal control folks or maybe a rescue group could catch them and try to find homes for them. The main thing is to try to find the owners if they are in the neighbourhood or even exist! and discuss the problems you are having. Also, if the cats are not fixed and vaccinated, you are looking at future problems of a growing cat population, with possible diseases, fleas and other parasites, that can be passed along.
Could you put up some posters in the area asking if anyone owns such-and-such cat(s)? Then you can explain the problems you are having when the owner(s) claim them and deal with the authorities as needed.

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
I agree with contacting the others if there are any. My heart went in my mouth when I heard someone mention Animal Control. If the SPCA gets them, they will just euthenize them and no animal deserves that fate! (Unless one turns out to be elderly and ill with no hope. A cat with FIV or felineL will do fine in a good home). If it were me, I'd trap them myself and bring them to a rescue where I know they will look for a home. Tho I'd probably stop at the vet's first.Hopefully, these guys have a home tho. (doesn't sound like a good ne tho if they are running around loose like that). Are they friendly? Do they have name tags? (I guess no with the name tags - that might be too easy, lol)

Please do not bring them to animal control! if they are feral, they will just be killed!

Dahlia
March 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
I know all of you talk about rescues as opposed to animal control, but I live in Kentucky and there are no rescues that I know of, only animal control. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I agree, though, I would contact the owners first, even though I know it's not pleasant. I've been putting off talking to my neighbors about their cats who are always in my yard and are forever multiplying because they are not fixed and probably never will be. The lady works at my kids' school and they play with her son and it seems like around here people can't take constructive criticism, they just go on the defense. But when I've finally had enough, I guess I will break down and go talk to them. My guess is that they will probably deny that the cats are even theirs. That happens a lot around here.

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
If they do not belong to someone, could you trap them
yourself? And maybe bring them to a rescue in a state that does have rescues? Are there no rescues in a larger city in Ky?

I just think of my grandmother who cared for ferals when there was no vet, no pound, nothing, never mind a rescue. Every so often - with my grandfather's help - an later ours, lol - she'd round a few up (well, more than a few) and we'd bring them all to the closest vet (an hour's drive away) - she got her drivers' licence when she was 53 so she coudl do this!! - and have them fixed. Then they'd join the colony. Are there any managed feral colonies near you?

Hopefully, you can work it out with the neighbour.

I have to admit -and please don;t take this the wrong way - I just cannot imagine someone on an aanimal rights web site calling in Animal Control. (unless it was to investigate abuse).

happycats
March 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
I don't know what you should do. But what I do is, I treat them like any other wildlife in my yard ( we learn to co-exist!). I use pure white vinegar to get rid of the urine smell (and to deter them), I put my chairs up on an angle against the table so they can't get on them, I also get non-toxic pet repellent to keep them out of my garden, or use lots of black pepper in the gardens to keep them out.
I find in the summer watering my gardens in the evening prevents cats from ever using them as a litter box (they don't like water, so won't ever "go" in a wet garden). Once you make your yard "undesireable" to them they usually move on, (unless you feed them, then you've got yourself in to a big mess).

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
I said "the appropriate animal control folks" meaning IF you are lucky enough to have a no kill shelter, choose THEM, not the "we-give-it-3-days-and-it's-a-goner-if-not-claimed" folks. I should not have used the word "control", rather, animal "rescue". A rather large faux "paw" on my part. Did not mean to have cats collected then euthanized! Oops :p

Dahlia
March 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Happycats, that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for cats that aren't even yours and are making a nuisance of themselves. I think the owners should have to be the ones incovenienced if they want to have these cats. That means keeping them inside, out of people's gardens and lawn chairs. JMHO.

happycats
March 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Dahlia, I agree, people "should" take responsability for their pets, but as you already know and see just from being in this forum, the sad fact is alot of people just don't care :sad: .And some people will just dump them or have them destroyed or even beat them if you complain!
So rather then punish the poor animal for having idiot owners, I go through the trouble of co-existing with them!

Also why blame just cats, I also have squirrels, racoons, skunks and rabbits who visit my yard as well, so I know it's not just the cats.

Rita
March 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
I have the same problem in our area. There is one cat in particular that is constantly roaming freely and I have no idea who the owner might be as I have seen this cat in several different locations and on different streets. In the past week this cat has been by our house a few times, sitting on our deck, even one time jumping up to our kitchen window and sitting on the ledge! My Boyz don't seem to be too bothered by the stranger, but I'm concerned that once the weather warms and we open windows there might be some issues :rolleyes: . I was thinking about putting out some moth balls at strategic locations around our property, but maybe I'll try the pepper first as I think we really wouldn't like the smell of the moth balls ourselves!!! :yuck:
My F-I-L lives with us and two summers ago he pet a 'stray' cat on our driveway .... the cat bit and scratch him (don't know if F-I-L was too rough or approached the kitty unexpectantly). The bite/scratch got infected and had to be treated and we also ended up having to bring him in for raby shots as we don't know who owns kitty. I believe it is the same kitty that has been visiting us lately so that raises more concerns.

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Rita, that cat could have FIV or FeL as well - no problems for you but maybe for your cats if they accidentally encounter him. I bet he is not fixed either, sigh! Can you trap him and bring him to a Rescue or find the owner and report him for animal neglect? A cat who attacks like that may not have an owner who is a poor kitty abandoned by someone who is on his way to becoming feral!

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
I know all of you talk about rescues as opposed to animal control, but I live in Kentucky and there are no rescues that I know of, only animal control

Kitty Sites (http://www.kittysites.com/rescue_ky.html)

KY cat Haven (http://www.kycathaven.org/)

Animal Helpers (KY) (http://animalhelpers.tripod.com/)

Home at Last Sanctuary (http://www.homeatlastanimals.org/)

poohbear123
March 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
I dont think I really want to confront the owner myself....i am afraid of a confrontation as we have to live here for many years to come.....what if I called bylaw and put in a complaint about their cat roaming free?? could bylaw then confront the owner? As for the other two cats i have seen I have no idea where they live.

Dahlia
March 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM
In my opinion, just do what you think you have to do. If that means calling bylaw, then go ahead.

happycats
March 24th, 2005, 07:06 AM
If you call the by-law, wouldn't they just come and collect them and destroy them ? (if they don't have ID they would just treat them like strays and put them down) Is that what you really want ??

Dahlia
March 24th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Sorry, what is bylaw? Is that the same thing as animal control? I'm in Ky and we don't have anything called bylaw. I know animal control here will go and talk to the owners and warn them to keep their pets to themselves before they do anything.

kayla
March 24th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Why don't you try attaching notes to the cats collars explaining the situation? That way you don't have to go face to face with your neighbors if you don't want to. Also, if the note goes unread for a few days you will know it is a stray.
I used to have a lot of strays in my yard. I fed them and took them in and still would but ever since my dog has grown up I see a lot less of them ;) Is your dog a puppy? If so you may find he takes care of the cat problem for you as he grows up.

chico2
March 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
You can usually tell if a cat is stray or not,by the way he looks,how approachable he is...
Luckily I have no strays or ferals around here,but plenty of other critters.
Cats often get blamed for damage other animals are doing in the night.
One of my cats reacts very violently if he sees a strange cat in"his"backyard and attacks anyone near him.I have 2 ER visits as proof.
If I see a cat and I know he has a home,I shooo him away before my Rocky sees him,if it is an obvious stray,hungry and miserable I will feed him and try to catch him,then call HS,knowing they will not kill him.
I also would not hesitate talking to a neighbor,but chances are they would not care,some people have the very wrong notion,that cats are not happy unless they are allowed to roam.

TWilson9498
March 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
We had the same problem in our apartment complex. We did some research since the Manager wasn't willing to do anything about it at all! We finally found a no kill rescue that set out traps, caught the cats/kittens, and 3 dogs.. They said they would s/n and give all shots needed, if anywhere able to be adopted they would find them homes, if not they had to be returned to the place they were picked up because they did not want to cause anymore stress to the animals as they already had, so they wanted to put them back in a familiar place. I have yet to see one come back, this was about a month ago, so hopefully they found homes or someone to foster them until they find a home. These were very nice cats, I believe people dump them here because they think 300 people live here, someone will take care of it. Some of them were hurt pretty badly by stray dogs, and other cats I'm sure. At night we could hear them fighting, not to mention the trash they would shred out of the dumpster all over the parking lot.

happycats
March 24th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Oh Chico, I have a cat who does the same thing. If my Jay sees another cat outside, he will attack the first cat he sees and myself or my hubby have to go stop him. Does Rocky also scream very loudly and puff up ?. Jay screams so loud, thats when we go running and stop him from attacking.
It seems the other cats also know when he screams he attacks, so they all scatter really quickly!! (Isn't it strange, I have never had another like that before).

Sorry for going off topic.
But I still believe people should try to co-exist with all the animals that frequent their yards. If you don't want them there, don't feed them, and they will evertually move on!

kayla
March 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
You can usually tell if a cat is stray or not,by the way he looks,how approachable he is...

Sometimes it is obvious, but not always. I didn't realize one of the neighborhood cats was a stray until she showed up preggies and had her kittens under the house in the middle of winter. Needless to say no kittens survived and I think she is pregnant again, but that's another story.. :sad:

I have also seen some cats that look like strays but have collars on so obviously aren't. Anyways, best not to take chances, you don't want to take away someones beloved pet thinking it's a stray.

poohbear123
March 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
If I tell the bylaw officers were one of the cats live then maybe they can talk to the owners and let them know that they should not let their cat run loose. As for the other two I have seen I dont know where they live. And I dont think they will let me catch them as they run away when they see you. I know a couple of weeks ago I found a dog that had run away from its owners or rather he found me ran right in the front door when I opened it and I called the humane society to see if anyone had reported a dog missing and no one had so she told me that the by-law officer was going to come a pick him up and bring him to the humane society and if no one would clam him then he would be put up for adoption. I think it would be the same thing for the cats. I really dont want to run after these cats to try to attach a not on them.....my dog is 21/2 yrs old. I dont think he would hurt the cats we stopped by my mom's yesterday and my niece is staying with them with her cat and at first my dog went to run after the cat but the cat turned and hissed and raised the fur on his back and my dog crouched down and started whimpering.....he is such a big chicken I dont think he could hurt a flea. And he is like triple the size of this little cat. He is very submissive and in no way aggressive to any other animal. I am not sure what to do maybe I should just mind my own business.

aussiemedogs
March 24th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Try to tell someone that they should keep their cats indoors.......good-luck!
I personally do not believe any domesticated pet should be outdoors to roam and do as they please.

I would call a rescue group and ask them if they could possibly take in the cats. Catch them and hand them over to the rescue, they are entitled to a decent home and roaming outside is sure enough way to get hit by a car, attack another animal, do property damage etc..

People that are irresponsible owners should not be owners, so if they need a little help why not!

I have a neighbour that has a doxie, not neutured, very friendly. Every so often he comes over to my lawn and does his bussiness, we put a stop to that real quick, my husband yelled over your dog just took a **** on my lawn and if you don't clean it up we will be walking ours on yours!

I don't really care for these neighbours as the dog is loose alot, doesn't go to far from his or my home, but if I find him down the street well....he will be finding a new home with my help.

One day my dog on leash was walking with me and her dog came charging, I warned her that my guy is not to fond of small dogs, her response...oh well he will learn! So....I just shot her a look and told her get your dog out of my dogs face. (she did) so now everything is fine till I see the little guy wandering.....

Anyone interested in possibly adopting a 3yr balck & Tan doxie? (hahaha)

db7
March 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Don't hesitate to talk to the owners. Tell them you're very concerned that if their cat keeps coming in your backyard the dog will KILL it. :evil: And if your dog won't you're welcome to dog-sit for me, one weekend ought to do it. :evil:

Dahlia
March 27th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I wish my neighbor would keep their min pin out of my yard. We have it fenced in but she can fit under the fence. She only comes into my yard to poop :mad: . She apparently eats scraps by the looks of things and Sophie tries to eat it. :yuck: I was bad :evil: Friday and while I was scooping poop out of my back yard I picked up their dogs' and chucked it over the fence into their yard. Maybe a little childish but made me feel better anyway. ;) Sorry, off the subject, but I hate it when people don't take responsibility for their own. I know my pup can fit under the fence, so I always take her out on a leash so she stays out of other people's yards. I actually saw one of our neighbors walking their JRT in our front yard. And they didn't use a pooper scooper, either. :mad:

poohbear123
March 29th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I have decided to mind my own business on this issue for now....If i see the cats again I will call the humane society and put in a complaint....as for the poop and scoop my dad gets so mad when people walk by and let their dog do their business on his lawn he is waiting fot the day he catches the lady who he thinks is letting her dog do it. :evil: And throwing it over the fence I dont blame you and it is pretty funny to imagine you doing it :thumbs up

wjranch
March 29th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I have the same problem here, and I am so sick and tired of the stench of tomcat urine on my front step I've decided to do something about it. I have already determined that no one around knows who owns any of them, I've sprinkled repellent, I've called by-law (there are none regarding cats and I'm not allowed to live trap 'em either), and contacted a 'critter control' guy... No one is offering any help with this issue... So, I'm taking it in my own hands..... here's my plan.......

I am going to the hardware store and picking up a whole s*** load of mouse traps, I will set them around the areas that I am having problems with cats spraying, then i will cover them all with plastic sheets and peg the sheets into the ground on the edges.. when cats walk over plastic, they will spring traps, but, not get 'trapped' by it, just startled and run away :D Hopefully never to return :thumbs up
I think that will stop them from messing in my yard and move on to someone elses.

twodogsandacat
March 29th, 2005, 10:42 PM
My yard is also full of them and one of them is scared of nothing. We walk the yard on leash in the morning to give every cat a chance to get out. My big fear is that one morning 'braveheart' won't leave before I 'release the hounds'.

Still although I can't figure out where they live I know they are not strays and am hesitant to call animal control.

DB7 you are wicked. :evil: ;)

chico2
March 30th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Wjranch...Cats natural curiosity might get them caught in one of your traps,then what do you do??Let them suffer with a paw caught??
Don't get me wrong,cat-pee stinks and I sympathize,luckily we have no strays around my house,but I am hoping there are other ways to deter them from your porch.

poohbear123
March 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I guess there are alot of kitties out there running loose and peeing on everything....i think they are also using my flower bed as their litter box....my dog was in their yesterday desperately trying to get at something and it was cat poop!!! (I am pretty sure thats what it was as I havent seen any little dogs a round) Silly dog tried to eat it and how gross is that !! Next time I see them out there maybe i will try to chase them away or let my dog do it!!

wjranch
March 30th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I want to be humane.... that's why I'm putting the plastic sheet over the traps :D They will not likely get caught in the mouse trap..... and besides, mouse traps will be pretty easy for a cat the shake off. If folks would keep them at home (like responsible pet owners should) then none of us non-cat owning people would need to even consider these methods.... I think this is a better method then spraying chemicals, or peppers all over my yard. I have dogs to consider here so I will not use alot of the commercial products you can buy. But, I can keep them off the plastic :D

db7
March 31st, 2005, 06:51 AM
wjranch,

you could hook up a water sprinkler system to a motion detector, that would keep them out and your garden happy at the same time.

Or you could keep a pet falcon in the yard, that'll keep them away.

wjranch
April 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM
wjranch,

you could hook up a water sprinkler system to a motion detector, that would keep them out and your garden happy at the same time.

Or you could keep a pet falcon in the yard, that'll keep them away.

I like the falcon idea ;).... the motion detector water sprinkler maybe not, they are peeing on my front step!! :D How would I stay dry?? :confused: LOL

100%doglover
April 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I just need to jump in here and state one thing. Not only are cats that are allowed to roam free a nuisance to others (my neighbours 3 of them), but they kill a LOT of birds. We had to take down our bird feeders because it because prime hunting ground for the cats. The stats are unbelievable as to how much damage a single cat will do during the course of a year, they kill SOOOOO many song birds. I say call animal control if you have to, cats aren't the only ones to think about here. I don't mean to sound so cruel, I honestly like cats and of course I'd try a rescue first, but really our song birds hardly have any place to live in suburbs as it is, never mind all the cats running around hunting them in this very limited space!

chico2
April 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
100%Doglover,I am 100% against letting your cats roam the neighborhood,not fair to the cats or neighbors.
I have 3 cats and 3 bird-feeders+several occupied bird-houses,I LOVE my birds,actually all animals!
I have yet to see any strange cats at my feeders,my own cats who go outside with me,love to pretend they can catch any birds and I keep a close eye on them in case they would get a chance.
The biggest danger for "my"birds are Hawks and other predator-birds and animals,the Hawks visit every day for a meal.Don't get me wrong,they are amazingly beautiful birds and need to eat.
The Blue-Jays are the worst at killing baby-birds in my bird-houses,I see it every spring,but of course that is the way of nature,the cats are not,but they too do what comes natural to them,it's again irresponsible owners who are the culprits :evil:

100%doglover
April 2nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
I complete agree with you, this wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for irresponsible owners! They are the ones I have a huge problem with!

Safyre
April 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
We have this one Tom running around the co-op grounds, and we KNOW who the owner of the animal is. But he doesn't care, he has been confronted. he has two black labs that are areally annoying as well , as they bark like there is no tomorrow (not sure they get a lot of house time, usually they are in the yard). This cat is a pain in the butt because it gets into the garbages and makes a mess.
We do have some rabbits, ducks and turtles on the premises as well, but I'm pretty sure its not them jumping into one of those huge Carts Ahoy garbage pails!
There is no rescuses in Chatham.. the closest is Windsor, or London, both an hour away. not sure how you all feel about dirving in cars with cats, but I HATE that howling, and I don't have a carrier, as my cats like car rides.
I have brought in one or two strays to the OSPCA, because that is all we had here. Thinking back, I probably shoulda checked up on them, but didn't.

To the people mention the by law officers ... you would only b e able to contact them if there is a specific by law stating that it is illegal to allow animals to run around loose, correct? otherwise you have to call OPSCA or (if any in your area you can get to) rescuses right?

chico2
April 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Safyre,I doubt one single cat can make such a mess out of big garbage bins,more than likely it's coons.
My cats howl like they were possessed in the car,but I would never,ever attempt having them in my car without the carriers.
I did once many,many years ago and nearly had an accident,Tigger got scared and ended up by my feet as I was driving...it's very dangerous.

Safyre
April 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
I didn't say that they made a GREAT mess, sorry if that was misunderstood.
Usually, on Garbage nights, it is one or two bins, on the end of the co-op close to the cats actual home. And the cat has been shooed away from bin a bin or two in its time.
Its a male, and I'm pretty sure that the owner is just letting him out during the spring, not sure if the word for horny males is heat, but, its always this time of year that this particular cat is out.

We actually had some problems with cats in the past, over 10 cats in the co-op. The past two years, only this guy running around.